Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

loud exhaust, what can the police do?

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2011, 12:36 AM
99jdee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loud exhaust, what can the police do?

Hey,

Well I have a complete straight pipe from turbo back on my turbo 2000, its rather loud, I haven't had it on the road yet but my question is when I get it on the road can the polis take the car from me? I know I can be asked to re-mot due to emmisions but, can they recover the car from me if its too loud?

Cheers, jamie.
Old 07 December 2011, 12:43 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Surely it can't be that loud lad, i have full straight though system but am buying a sports cat asap. What system you got? Normally they quiet down after a few thousand miles and the sound gets more throaty less blah lol
Old 07 December 2011, 12:45 AM
99jdee
Scooby Regular

Sorry lol I shud have mentioned, it is a de-cat down pipe, de-cat centre and a hayward and scott afterburner type "Race pipe" no box.. Its ear bleeding loud, that's why I ask haha..
Old 07 December 2011, 12:46 AM
Stainy
Scooby Regular

I think you should drive it up and down outside the cop shop

SECTION 59
Vehicles used in a manner causing alarm, distress or annoyance:

(1) Where a constable in uniform has reasonable grounds for believing that a motor vehicle is being used on any occasion in a manner which —
(a) contravenes section 3 or 34 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (c. 52) (careless and inconsiderate driving and prohibition of off-road driving), and
(b) is causing, or is likely to cause, alarm, distress or annoyance to members of the public, he shall have the powers set out in subsection (3).

(2)
A constable in uniform shall also have the powers set out in subsection (3) where he has reasonable grounds for believing that a motor vehicle has been used on any occasion in a manner falling within subsection (1).

(3)
Those powers are —
(a) power, if the motor vehicle is moving, to order the person driving it to stop the vehicle;
(b) power to seize and remove the motor vehicle;
(c) power, for the purposes of exercising a power falling within paragraph (a) or (b), to enter any
premises on which he has reasonable grounds for believing the motor vehicle to be;
(d) power to use reasonable force, if necessary, in the exercise of any power
conferred by any of paragraphs to (a) to (c).

(4)
A constable shall not seize a motor vehicle in the exercise of the powers
conferred on him by this section unless —
(a) he has warned the person appearing to him to be the person whose use falls within subsection (1) that he will seize it, if that use continues or is repeated; and
(b) it appears to him that the use has continued or been repeated after the warning.
(5) Subsection (4) does not require a warning to be given by a constable on any occasion on which he would otherwise have the power to seize a motor vehicle under this section if—
(a) the circumstances make it impracticable for him to give the warning;
(b) the constable has already on that occasion given a warning under that subsection in respect of any use of that motor vehicle or of another motor vehicle by that person or any other person;
(c) the constable has reasonable grounds for believing that such a warning has been given on that occasion otherwise than by him; or
(d) the constable has reasonable grounds for believing that the person whose use of that motor vehicle on that occasion would justify the seizure is a person to whom a warning under that subsection has been given (whether or not by that constable or in respect the same vehicle or the same or a similar use) on a previous occasion in the previous twelve months.
(6) A person who fails to comply with an order under subsection (3)(a) is guilty of an offence and shall be liable, on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.
(7) Subsection (3)(c) does not authorise entry into a private dwelling house.
(8) The powers conferred on a constable by this section shall be exercisable only at a time when regulations under section 60 are in force.
(9) In this section —
• “driving” has the same meaning as in the Road Traffic Act 1988 (c. 52);
• “motor vehicle” means any mechanically propelled vehicle, whether or not it is intended or adapted for use on roads; and
• “private dwelling house” does not include any garage or other structure occupied with the dwelling house, or any land appurtenant to the dwelling house.

Last edited by Stainy; 07 December 2011 at 12:48 AM. Reason: loads of daft links in the text I stole
Old 07 December 2011, 12:48 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Your joking no box at all? Lad i know got banned from going threw town once but were talking years ago, not sure what they would do now but prob get you change exhaust
Old 07 December 2011, 12:49 AM
99jdee
Scooby Regular

Looks like I'm ****ed I guess! Haha oh well I guess ill get a few weeks out of it before selling the race pipe and buying a quieter backbox! Lol
Old 07 December 2011, 08:43 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99jdee
Looks like I'm ****ed I guess! Haha oh well I guess ill get a few weeks out of it before selling the race pipe and buying a quieter backbox! Lol
Yes, that's good.
There is no reason why you need to have a straight through pipe anyway.
Old 07 December 2011, 08:57 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

I was pulled over a couple of months ago for a few things, One of which was my exhaust. My exhaust is not that loud but they still had a winge about it. Apparently they reckon that your exhaust noise level CAN NOT be any louder than a standard car.
My argument was how can they prove it's louder, Subaru don't issue any volume levels for my car in standard form. Yes I know it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know my current exhaust is louder but prove it.
They also said that MOT stations will soon be checking the DB's of exhausts and will fail cars that don't meet the set volumes.
Old 07 December 2011, 09:44 AM
DEANO1988
Scooby Regular

if your sensible i doubt they'll pull you unless they're in a mood or bored, mine passed its mot, at tick-over its 111db and the guy at the garage said it ain't that loud n I've had police behind me a few times and haven't had any hassle.
Old 07 December 2011, 12:53 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Random road tests are the real answer.
MOT time is of no use if they want to clamp down on the noise
Old 07 December 2011, 01:11 PM
Scooby B
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DEANO1988
if your sensible i doubt they'll pull you unless they're in a mood or bored, mine passed its mot, at tick-over its 111db and the guy at the garage said it ain't that loud n I've had police behind me a few times and haven't had any hassle.
111 on tick over? Bloody hell.
Old 07 December 2011, 06:07 PM
99jdee
Scooby Regular

I guess I will just see how it goes, I will only be right foot happy after I have checked behind me for police cars and its safe of course.. Lol
Old 07 December 2011, 06:14 PM
snake1906
Scooby Regular

ive been stoped 3 times and they said next time ill either be going to court or they will be taking the car!
Old 07 December 2011, 06:18 PM
99jdee
Scooby Regular

I hope they are like that with me I love my system, I hate the law on the noise and emmisions on the cars, I know its damaging the world but there are worse things, and imo my noisey car makes me more visable, but then again someone I'm sure will argue it also makes me more of a distraction to other drivers! Wish I could keep it without having to worry about the old bill!
Old 07 December 2011, 06:53 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Hopefully you will get your car confiscated by the poilce. Really no need for such a loud exhaust. Power can be extracted with a quieter system, just admit it, you want to turn heads in the street, don't you?

They aren't thinking, "wow dat is dat collins mackray in dat skoobyyy *** me ee is da shizznit" - they are thinking, "what.a.****"
Old 07 December 2011, 06:57 PM
99jdee
Scooby Regular

There's always one isn't there..

Actually I like the sound of my car because I like to hear the engine and the sound of the exhaust, I don't see why you have to start incinuating things and trying to judge me when you don't even know me. Also if the exhaust is what you say it is why do cobra, rcm, h&s make them, oh sorry they obviously only make them for chavs that want to look like collin macrae, yer right..
Old 07 December 2011, 07:05 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

I think you'll find that the RCM Team ICE exhaust isn't BSAU rated for the road. I am all for better exhausts for more performance, but overly loud exhausts are fvcking anti social. There is a lad up the road from me running a wagon, it sounds like the world is going to end when he drives past, even through double glazing.

These companies make these products because there is a market for them.

So, are you saying you can't hear the engine with a resonated system on the car? If so I suggest getting your ears syringed instead of a louder exhaust.
Old 07 December 2011, 07:42 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

mines loud 112db at 3500rpm as tested by alan jeff one day at a rolling road day. i just reply to plod . thats how it came over from japan , it's a grey import mate , look closely it has a rear wiper and the exhaust goes under the driveshaft not over the top as per the uk turbo 2000 . oh and its passed the mot for the last 6 years like it .shuts them up everytime as your average plod knows f u c k all about cars . in fact just perchance last time i was stopped a harley went past as plod was trying to talk to me . i said sorry didn't catch that what did you say that bike was very loud . he saw my point and let me on my way
Old 07 December 2011, 09:21 PM
DEANO1988
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby B
111 on tick over? Bloody hell.
Its a custom racetube the previous owners on here can back me up on how loud it is :-D
Old 07 December 2011, 09:44 PM
99jdee
Scooby Regular

Anyway ignoring the ignorant posts, I think mine may be over the 100db on tickover as it also is a custom race tube.. I will just have to wait and see I guess.. And actually to Dj_jon I really couldn't care less what anyone thinks of the system, I think it sounds great, I will keep it for as long as I can, loud and proud!
Old 07 December 2011, 10:02 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

ignorant?

i agree that overly loud exhausts are just annoying, but everyones allowed their own opinion, free country and all

i just dont see the point of an exhaust so loud it makes things rattle
half the time the stupidly loud exhausts are on litre-beaters/chavved up saxos etc so if i hear one i just think **** and dont bother looking around heh

I Personally prefer a nice note and exhaust noise if im "gunning" it, but not whilst tootling thru town etc
which is why i liked the CTR, at low rpm it was quiet as, hit the vtec and it was a just heh

im yet to change the backbox etc on my scoob, prob be just swapping the backbox to a Prodrive number myself..
Old 07 December 2011, 10:39 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Anyway ignoring the ignorant posts, I think mine may be over the 100db on tickover as it also is a custom race tube.. I will just have to wait and see I guess..

That's right princess, you bury your head in the sand, I bet your neighbours love you in the mornings. If you lived near me I would be reporting you to the local constabulary.

And actually to Dj_jon I really couldn't care less what anyone thinks of the system, I think it sounds great, I will keep it for as long as I can, loud and proud!

Like I said, I do indeed hope you get pulled for your exhaust.
Old 07 December 2011, 10:50 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

My car would not be described as quiet but it's not anti-social. The neighbours that have commented seem to comment in a positive way by saying it sounds nice. One or two have told me im their alarm clock and it's better to be woken by the boxer burble than the beep of the alarm clock.

The trouble with overly loud cars and bikes is it provokes new laws against it to be made.
It only takes one to spoil it for everybody as they say. I'm not judging your car as ive not heard it but 100db at tick-over sounds over the top to me.
Old 07 December 2011, 11:04 PM
Micheru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ_Jon
There is a lad up the road from me running a wagon, it sounds like the world is going to end when he drives past, even through double glazing.
Where abouts do you live?
Old 07 December 2011, 11:10 PM
Megaman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Micheru

you may have just met your neighbour
Old 07 December 2011, 11:24 PM
99jdee
Scooby Regular

At the end of the day, I laugh at kids in there saxo's and fiestas with chavy loud wasp sounding exhausts which they think is the bees knees, mine is mega loud, but what I also think is, well as long as the person owning the car is happy what's wrong with that?! So what if its loud? Its a stupid law like many others.. Least I'm taking an interest in something, same with these kids with there chav cars.. Either that or they can go out and be proper anti-social. Anyway thanks for everyones advice.
Old 08 December 2011, 06:39 AM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Originally Posted by Micheru
Thankfully, not in Essex
Old 08 December 2011, 07:06 AM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by acstua
i just dont see the point of an exhaust so loud it makes things rattle
I do, I love setting car alarms off.
Old 08 December 2011, 07:38 AM
mslorach
Scooby Regular

At the end of the day, I laugh at kids in there saxo's and fiestas with chavy loud wasp sounding exhausts which they think is the bees knees, mine is mega loud, but what I also think is, well as long as the person owning the car is happy what's wrong with that?! So what if its loud? Its a stupid law like many others.. Least I'm taking an interest in something, same with these kids with there chav cars.. Either that or they can go out and be proper anti-social. Anyway thanks for everyones advice.
The thing is, having a really loud exhaust is "proper anti-social", you are no different to the chavs in the saxos ect.
I'm not having a go at you here, I couldn't care less what exhaust you have but I'd like to tell you about my experience of this.
I had a H&S de resonated system on my car which was loud. But I removed it earlier this year, here's why.
I was working away from home for most of last year and part of this year, staying in a hotel in a town in Scotland. The local young drivers (I'll call them barrys) would congregate in a large carpark in front of the hotel every night and drive round the car park , up the main street and back again, till well after midnight every night. Now most of the barrys had the usual corsas and fiestas with big daft exhausts and they were fecking annoying but the worst one was a tit rally driver wannabe in a white bug eye who honestly thought that lots of throttle was the only way to drive in a built up area.
The hotel actually lost customers over this, people would leave the restaurant because of the noise and trying to get a decent nights kip after a 12 hr shift was impossible, leaving people stressed and sleep deprived. There were several angry confrontations between hotel residents/staff and the barrys.
If that's not anti social what is?
Living in the countryside I did not realise the nuisance that a loud exhaust can bring but as soon as I got the chance I removed my loud exhaust for the benefit of others, I now have a cobra back box which is easy on the ears but still has a nice rumble when nipping on.
You might think it's cool rasping everywhere at 100+ decibels but no one except the barrys and chavs are impressed with that, everyone else thinks you're a ****.
Old 08 December 2011, 08:29 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ_Jon
Thankfully, not in Essex

whats wrong with Essex :P

i must admit when i had my 1st CTR i did like shuting some chavvy saxo up as he made loads of noise down a multistorey out ramp
i proceeded to vtec and bounce the limiter abit behind him
he drove like a nun after that

i just want a nice burble that will make some nice noises if im hammering the throttle nowadays

Quick Reply: loud exhaust, what can the police do?