Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

anybody heard of or know what it could be...?

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2011, 07:11 PM
goujon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anybody heard of or know what it could be...?

(impreza turbo 2000 uk 97) last week i noticed a loud knocking banging noise when in 1st gear sounding like its coming from under the car around the front area anywhere between gearbox and front of car i can feel the vibration on the gear stick to but i also noticed its faint at the very beginning of 2nd gear to but then after that all ok and as normal but also on tick over it has the faint knocking noise but this morning i found if i put the clutch pedal down in tick over the knocking goes away... has (anybody heard of or know what it could be) is it to do with the clutch? also for the last few months there has been a high squeaking noise from the front area in low speeds (dont know if thats to do with it) thought it might of been to do with the new brakes or new cv joints... im taking it to a mechanic next saturday to look at it and hopefully sort it out but would like to know roughly what it could be before i go...
thanks
Old 03 December 2011, 07:23 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

If noise goes when clutch depressed could be either clutch or gearbox issue, common issue with clutch is thrust bearing but really need someone to listen to it to confirm.
Old 03 December 2011, 07:32 PM
goujon
Scooby Regular

if it was a gear box problem wouldn't it only make the noise when in motion and not on tick over as until you put it in gear the gearbox is not connected to the fly wheel? maybe its to do with like you said the thrust bearing or the clutch, somebody did suggest it was a drive shaft before i said about it on tick over but i know it cant be that because like i said it wouldn't do it on tick over as drive shafts only move when in gear.
Old 03 December 2011, 07:35 PM
the hamster
BANNED

sounds like the clutch falling apart to me, especially if the noise comes/goes when pumping the clutch when stationary.

Had a similar problem on another car of mine (astra) and started as a squeeky noise but then started to get worse. Eventually I couldnt engage 1st, then after a short time it wouldnt go in gear at all. If yours is clunking etc then i'd say it needs inspecting asap.
Old 03 December 2011, 07:37 PM
goujon
Scooby Regular

ok cheers yeah its getting looked at next saturday and getting fixed and wont be driving it till its done apart from driving it to the garage 5 minutes away.
Old 05 December 2011, 07:52 PM
bigfarlz
Scooby Regular

Sounds daft but I had a similar issue, turned out my top mount was loose!