Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Uprated bearings whats the point.

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2011, 12:53 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Uprated bearings whats the point.

As above whats the point in putting uprated bearings along with a nitride crank

As presumably if you suffer oil starvation(whatever the cause) weather they are uprated or not they're still going to get knackerd and lead to a knocking bottom end, as surely there is no greater surface area and bronze is bronze,so not physically stronger.

Ok presumably they have some fancy coating, but is that just a gimmic to rape us further..

Just crossed my mind having had a set of acl race fail on me, why go to the extra cost, especially of the duraglide version..

Old 27 November 2011, 02:19 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
As above whats the point in putting uprated bearings along with a nitride crank

As presumably if you suffer oil starvation(whatever the cause) weather they are uprated or not they're still going to get knackerd and lead to a knocking bottom end, as surely there is no greater surface area and bronze is bronze,so not physically stronger.

Ok presumably they have some fancy coating, but is that just a gimmic to rape us further..

Just crossed my mind having had a set of acl race fail on me, why go to the extra cost, especially of the duraglide version..

A nitrided crank has a treated surface which is harder to penetrate than the stock item. We have seen the effect of occasions when the oil pressure has dropped, for whatever reason, and the better material has saved the crank.
Subaru felt the need to supply them, and thankfully they hardly cost any more.
We use ACL Race bearings, or occasionally Mahle, who supply a superior multi layer material developed by Prodrive and Vandervell. These bearings have the best solution for material strength, heat resistance, friction quality and oil retention. Again, the difference isn't that much, and my customers would rather have the better product.

I'd doubt your problem was actually down to "bearing failure"

Last edited by Alan Jeffery; 27 November 2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 27 November 2011, 02:55 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
A nitrided crank has a treated surface which is harder to penetrate than the stock item. We have seen the effect of occasions when the oil pressure has dropped, for whatever reason, and the better material has saved the crank.
Subaru felt the need to supply them, and thankfully they hardly cost any more.
We use ACL Race bearings, or occasionally Mahle, who supply a superior multi layer material developed by Prodrive and Vandervell. These bearings have the best solution for material strength, heat resistance, friction quality and oil retention. Again, the difference isn't that much, and my customers would rather have the better product.

I'd doubt your problem was actually down to "bearing failure"

+1
Bearing failure is normally the "end result" and not the "cause" in 99% of engine failures.

Mick
Old 27 November 2011, 03:12 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by merlin24
+1
Bearing failure is normally the "end result" and not the "cause" in 99% of engine failures.

Mick
...And therefore doing what it's designed to do!