ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Uprated bearings whats the point. (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/914865-uprated-bearings-whats-the-point.html)

ditchmyster 27 November 2011 12:53 PM

Uprated bearings whats the point.

As above whats the point in putting uprated bearings along with a nitride crank:wonder:

As presumably if you suffer oil starvation(whatever the cause) weather they are uprated or not they're still going to get knackerd and lead to a knocking bottom end, as surely there is no greater surface area and bronze is bronze,so not physically stronger.

Ok presumably they have some fancy coating, but is that just a gimmic to rape us further..

Just crossed my mind having had a set of acl race fail on me, why go to the extra cost, especially of the duraglide version..

;)

Alan Jeffery 27 November 2011 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 10352798)
As above whats the point in putting uprated bearings along with a nitride crank:wonder:

As presumably if you suffer oil starvation(whatever the cause) weather they are uprated or not they're still going to get knackerd and lead to a knocking bottom end, as surely there is no greater surface area and bronze is bronze,so not physically stronger.

Ok presumably they have some fancy coating, but is that just a gimmic to rape us further..

Just crossed my mind having had a set of acl race fail on me, why go to the extra cost, especially of the duraglide version..

;)

A nitrided crank has a treated surface which is harder to penetrate than the stock item. We have seen the effect of occasions when the oil pressure has dropped, for whatever reason, and the better material has saved the crank.
Subaru felt the need to supply them, and thankfully they hardly cost any more.
We use ACL Race bearings, or occasionally Mahle, who supply a superior multi layer material developed by Prodrive and Vandervell. These bearings have the best solution for material strength, heat resistance, friction quality and oil retention. Again, the difference isn't that much, and my customers would rather have the better product.

I'd doubt your problem was actually down to "bearing failure"

merlin24 27 November 2011 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery (Post 10352921)
A nitrided crank has a treated surface which is harder to penetrate than the stock item. We have seen the effect of occasions when the oil pressure has dropped, for whatever reason, and the better material has saved the crank.
Subaru felt the need to supply them, and thankfully they hardly cost any more.
We use ACL Race bearings, or occasionally Mahle, who supply a superior multi layer material developed by Prodrive and Vandervell. These bearings have the best solution for material strength, heat resistance, friction quality and oil retention. Again, the difference isn't that much, and my customers would rather have the better product.

I'd doubt your problem was actually down to "bearing failure"

+1
Bearing failure is normally the "end result" and not the "cause" in 99% of engine failures.

Mick

joz8968 27 November 2011 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by merlin24 (Post 10352950)
+1
Bearing failure is normally the "end result" and not the "cause" in 99% of engine failures.

Mick

...And therefore doing what it's designed to do! ;) :thumb: