Sponsored by:

What's it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2011, 10:15 AM
Metal Dorks
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's it worth?

Being that I've been in Vietnam working for 2 months and my employers want to extend my contract to early next year I'm thinking of selling my scooby as it is currently in storage (which I'm having to pay for).

I want to get an idea of what it is worth as they seem to variate massively on pistonheads/ebay/etc.

It's a 2001 Bugeye WRX import.

Very clean (inside, outside, underneath, everywhere!), still in KPH and shows 90'000 on the clock. Only imported in 2008

I got the car as a practical daily which it is, makes the right noise, looks good (in my opinion) and could deal with the speedbumps and potholes in london which my 200sx could not!

It is fairly standard imho, all the usual JDM refinements such as:
ice cold a/c
xenon h.i.d lights
folding mirros
electric windows all round
light buzzer
bucket seats etc

Engine:
Turbo back stainless steel afterburner / vortex system and fully decatted.
K&N cone filter, top of air box removed
Baileys dumpvalve (sorry, came fitted and I've not got round to removing it)

Body:
Mica Red
Privacy glass
black foglight covers (with other black detailing-bonnet vent etc)
Genuine subaru wind deflectors

Suspension:
Lowered on apex springs (not coilovers)
STI ally wishbones
New droplinks and bushes

Footwork:
Wheels I've been told are from the later 'hawkeye' model. In good condition, no kerbing, painted black with matching rubber.

Interior:
All the usual buckets with no *** burns (im a non smoker), rips, wear. In great condition
Momo airbag steering wheel and Razo ball gearknob (the old one was worn)

Other:
Alarm/immob
remote central locking
Fully undersealed

It is currently sorned, although it is MOT'd. There may be some other bits and bobs which I've forgotten to mention so If you can see anything in the pictures then please let me know!

Oh, the car is apparantly a cat-D ...I've had a good look around and can't see any damage. All shut lines are straight, boot, bonnet, headlight brackets, front scuttle are all spot on.
If you are being fussy there is a small and I mean miniscule dot of browning on the n/s/r arch so possible the very lip was scraped and painted but no signs of a respray (I looked hard!)

This is not a for sale advert, I just want to know what I should be asking for when I put it up for sale. Also I am not leaving the scene... I managed to source a nice (but badly damaged) 2 door for cheap as a project for when I return.

Sorry for the car being dirty in the pics but will give you an idea of the overal condition etc.

Also headlights have since been polished so are now crystal clear!
Old 15 November 2011, 10:22 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Cat D will scare usually off a lot of potential buyers - Some insurance companies might not like it either - not all though. Have you no idea why it was classified as a Cat D?

Any service history - bills/receipts???
Old 15 November 2011, 10:52 AM
Guv
Scooby Regular

CAT D import about £1500.....
Old 15 November 2011, 05:34 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Guv
CAT D import about £1500.....
i would have said 1500-2000 dependant oh any history, etc.
Old 15 November 2011, 05:46 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Nice looking car chap but as above, the 'cat D' kills it. Even if it was very minor damage it still has a devastating effect on sale price.
I would say,
If it's very tidy and has some service history then somewhere in the region of 2K. Maybe a touch more if advertised well.
Old 15 November 2011, 07:15 PM
Metal Dorks
Scooby Newbie

...jesus. So basically because of the cat D status which could be something as minor as a broken mirror it makes it worth less than the engine alone.

Basically I might as well break it?!.... a shame really as it is such a tidy car with no sign of any damage and cat-D is essentially cosmetic damage only. Oh well... whats it worth in parts then? I see a lot of adverts by people with blown engines... This is a good 'un and can be tested before removal by anyone in doubt.

What would the rolling shell be worth? or what should I advertise it in parts then if I am to break it? I'm not prepared to sell it for 1500 - 2000. That's just a joke. I see chavved up classics sell for more than that!
Old 16 November 2011, 06:17 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Cat D means that the cost of repair was around 60% or greater than the vehicle value at the time it was assessed.

What you could do with knowing is when it was repaired and what was it Cat D'd for and what most prospective owners will want to know. It could be vandalism, panel damage resulting in a respray or it could be more serious or less so. the older the vehicle the lower its value and the quicker it can be written off as the value goes down.

Sadly and i hate to say it it might be worth more as parts/broken.
Old 16 November 2011, 11:53 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Being a cat D would mean its suffered significantly more damage than a broken mirror chap. As Zohan said above, repair bill would of been at least 60% of the cars value at the time. So this means if the car was valued at say 4K then repair costs would of been quoted at over 2 grand.
Would be interesting if you could find out when it was given cat D status and why.

Braking wise, don't expect to earn an awful lot more money by ripping it apart.
It's a pretty standard WRX so motor and box aren't gonna be worth much, maybe £800 the pair ( scoobypart on here can't even get a grand for a newage STI motor)
It's not a common colour so panels could take some time shifting etc. And even selling the shell as a whole won't bring huge amounts as it will still have cat D status.

Your in a difficult position buddy as are so many other Impreza owners.
If you don't need the money I'd keep it and enjoy it when you return home.
Old 16 November 2011, 01:15 PM
Metal Dorks
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
Being a cat D would mean its suffered significantly more damage than a broken mirror chap. As Zohan said above, repair bill would of been at least 60% of the cars value at the time. So this means if the car was valued at say 4K then repair costs would of been quoted at over 2 grand.
Would be interesting if you could find out when it was given cat D status and why.

Braking wise, don't expect to earn an awful lot more money by ripping it apart.
It's a pretty standard WRX so motor and box aren't gonna be worth much, maybe £800 the pair ( scoobypart on here can't even get a grand for a newage STI motor)
It's not a common colour so panels could take some time shifting etc. And even selling the shell as a whole won't bring huge amounts as it will still have cat D status.

Your in a difficult position buddy as are so many other Impreza owners.
If you don't need the money I'd keep it and enjoy it when you return home.
Well, I've had a KTM written off for having a scuff on the exhaust and hand guard (cat d) when a woman pulled out on me and a 306 gti6 cabrio written off after someone tapped the rear bumper in traffic and cracked it (cat c).

It is literally down to the assessor at the time. Also being that it is an import then the price may have been for a part from japan? who knows... I'll look into it.

...keeping it seems to be the only option for now. I was hoping it'd be worth about £3k-£3.5k :/ based on the outstanding and relatively unmodified condition.
Old 16 November 2011, 01:34 PM
Ryan@Indigo-GT
Former Sponsor

Seems to be a bit of confusion here over Cat D, there's no mention of the repair being 60% of the value, it's just deemed uneconomical for repair but there can be many reasons for this, for example, someone bumped, literally bumped into the back of my cousins car a few years back causing a couple of hundred quids worth of damage, the car was worth around £7k at the time, it was written off Cat D because the replacement parts were going to take up to 8 months to arrive, add in the cost of the hire car for all that time, and boom, car's a Cat D.

It may also be used if a car is stolen then recovered.
Old 16 November 2011, 02:34 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ryan@Indigo-GT
Seems to be a bit of confusion here over Cat D, there's no mention of the repair being 60% of the value, it's just deemed uneconomical for repair but there can be many reasons for this, for example, someone bumped, literally bumped into the back of my cousins car a few years back causing a couple of hundred quids worth of damage, the car was worth around £7k at the time, it was written off Cat D because the replacement parts were going to take up to 8 months to arrive, add in the cost of the hire car for all that time, and boom, car's a Cat D.

It may also be used if a car is stolen then recovered.
agreed there are a few exceptions to the general rule re Cat D. However, i would not dream of buying a car if i did not know why it had been classified as Cat C or D, it may be cheap to buy but the same is true when you sell it on and without proof people are taking a huge leap of faith. It could be something real simple but then again who knows. Hard lesson to learn but it is vital to get all the facts when you buy so you know what you are buying, without those the value/worth is reduced.

The car looks great and if it was me i would keep it and enjoy it

Last edited by The Zohan; 16 November 2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 18 November 2011, 08:47 AM
Metal Dorks
Scooby Newbie

I was aware of it being a cat D when I got it, to be honest as I've had a few cars written off in the past I've never been fussed about it being a cat D PROVIDING I am happy with the thorough inspection I give it... I'm talking carpets out, shut lines checked, panels lining up perfectly, all plastic clips in place and unbroken, all the little tell tale signs properly checked.

I think there is a lot of bad press with buying cars that have been written off my insurers. Although now after reading all this is it worth me spending any more money on it... remap etc if it will always be worth less than an old golf tdi with nearly 200K on the clock lol?

Ah well, continue to enjoy it I guess when I get home. I was originally thinking of converting it to a blob eye. Afaik it is pretty much a straight panel swap job? (bonnet, wings, lights, bumper, grill, slam panel etc?

Lots of time to decide what to do with the old girl... despite having numerous skylines, yank muscle and other high powered cars nothing quite puts the smile on your face when you hear the sound of your flat4 coming to life
Old 18 November 2011, 09:59 AM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Cat D's can vary from a repair that needs a lot of parts to cars that require a lot of labour it also includes the cost of storing the car while parts arrive.

At market rates they can be deemed uneconomical to repair, yet someone who is going to sell the car and can get the parts may not worry about this so much.

On an older car it can be minor damage to write off, on a newer car it can be far more serious damage. There are a few places that sell write off's on the internet, have a look thru their stock, some are shockingly bad to look at.