turbo 2000

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2011, 04:53 PM
jason62
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo 2000

Hello everyone,
I did post the following b4 but dont know what happened to the post.
I just wanted to know the difference between a classic turbo 2000, and a classic wrx.
I cant seem to find any thing one the net, there was one thread on here.
But it was regarding imports, im after info on uk spec cars.
Thanks
Old 07 November 2011, 05:01 PM
the hamster
BANNED

It depends what year you're talking about mate.

UK2000's are 1998/99/2000 cars. 208-218bhp, facelift front end with crystal headlights/fogs etc, facelifted interior, the ecu is only mappable by ECUtek etc etc.

plenty of info here chap

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Impreza_WRX#UK-spec
Old 07 November 2011, 06:12 PM
jason62
Scooby Regular

Nice one for the info and link, i got a 99 ( t reg )
Its got a rear box fitted, dump valve. Roger clark pulley set, and a green panel filter. It also has a sti intercooler. Any rough ideas of what the car would be producing??
Old 07 November 2011, 06:21 PM
the hamster
BANNED

Without a remap, proberbly less than standard. Not wise to add mods without a map on a UK2000 mate, the ecu will only correct so much before it goes pop. Did you buy it like that? You need to get it checked to see if it has a map to support the mods as, if it hasnt, then it will be running very lean with that intercooler and filter on it.

You can take it to any ECUtek mapper and they will be able to plug in the ecu to see if it has a license on it. If it has, happy days, if it hasnt then be prepared for a £550 bill to have it mapped.
Old 07 November 2011, 07:40 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the hamster
It depends what year you're talking about mate.

UK2000's are 1998/99/2000 cars. 208-218bhp, facelift front end with crystal headlights/fogs etc, facelifted interior, the ecu is only mappable by ECUtek etc etc.

plenty of info here chap

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Impreza_WRX#UK-spec
Turbo 2000's are 94-2000 Upto 1998 they were 208bhp and my99-00 models with the duff MAF's are 215bhp as standard. Facelift bonnet, lights and grill came in in the my97 cars, with a facelifted interior around my98 (parts bin went crazy here) and the front bumper/grill crystal headlights were introduced in the my99 cars. I've got a my99 on an S-plate with said full facelift, my mate Jeff (Alcazar has a my98 S-plate with old bumper but new bonnet. Quite confusing until you've read up or owned

Classic WRX's were from 220ps (early wagons with the saloon starting at 240ps my93) through to 280ps for the laster classics (I forget the model year). Late classic STi's were 300ps with earlier ones from 250-280ps.

Some differences such as dial layout, gear ratios (shorter on imports), rear wash wipe on saloons, the great MYTH about alloy panels and where the aerial was located differentiate between the UK and JDM variants.
Old 07 November 2011, 08:05 PM
the hamster
BANNED

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Quite confusing until you've read up or owned
Totally agree mate. My friend has a V reg 99 in 95H and I have an MY00 in the same colour. His skirts and bumper extentions are black but mine are colour coded. It makes his look more dated than mine, even tho theres only a few month seperating them!
Old 07 November 2011, 08:06 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Totally agree mate. My friend has a V reg 99 in 95H and I have an MY00 in the same colour. His skirts and bumper extentions are black but mine are colour coded. It makes his look more dated than mine, even tho theres only a few month seperating them!

Yep, my99 weren't colour coded, my00 were. Well partially. Some were mirrors, sideskirts and door handles, some were freaks of nature
Old 07 November 2011, 08:11 PM
the hamster
BANNED

Lol, yeah its like the MY00 was the finished product and all the others were just "attempts" to get it right!
Old 07 November 2011, 08:18 PM
MicaDan
Scooby Regular

Lol, yeah its like the MY00 was the finished product and all the others were just "attempts" to get it right!
Mine's an MY00 but with black sideskirts, just to add to confusion lol.
Old 07 November 2011, 08:23 PM
darms
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered my MY00 from new (+ still got her) and can confirm

MY00 - Colour coded wing mirrors and the side skirts came black as standard. I opted to get them sprayed

Also the A/C was an extra £1k.
Old 07 November 2011, 08:25 PM
the hamster
BANNED

Bonus for me then, fully colour coded plus aircon
Old 07 November 2011, 08:29 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by darms

MY00 - Colour coded wing mirrors and the side skirts came black as standard. I opted to get them sprayed

On my last Scoob (red my99 UK) I had a reciept from when new for £1659 for aircon

Least I didn't pay it
Old 07 November 2011, 08:35 PM
darms
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
On my last Scoob (red my99 UK) I had a reciept from when new for £1659 for aircon

Least I didn't pay it
Well mine was £21K but managed to get the dealer down to £19,125 in March 2001 (he needed to shift it for the blobeye).

Still love her to bits

Last edited by darms; 07 November 2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07 November 2011, 08:36 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

The MY 99 came with black mirrors,black door handles,and black sideskirts.
The 2000 MY came with colour coded door mirrors & door handles,& black side skirts as std on both model years, unless it was a P1 or a RB5. I to have had both model years, and the 99 was in dark blue mica,whilst the 2000 was in deep blue mica ,a very subtle difference .Also 99 dont have intermittent wipers or map reading lights which the MY00 does.
Old 07 November 2011, 08:46 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by darms

+1 I have every receipt + fsh (70+ pages) for my MY00 ,aircon £846,electric sunroof £714,turbo 2000 mats £34,headlight protectors £27.

I also opted to spray the sideskirts on my 99 car ,but left them black on my current MY00.
Old 07 November 2011, 08:49 PM
jason62
Scooby Regular

@ hamster, i brought the car as it is. Not to sure if its been mapped! Ive txt the previous owner, just waiting for him to get back to me. Ive read all the other posts, whats the my stand for?
And whats this about a licence for the ecu?
Thanks for your help mate, dont know what i would be doing without scoobynet!!!
Old 07 November 2011, 08:55 PM
MicaDan
Scooby Regular

Also, Mica Red (my car) was only available on MY00 models. So you won't find a Mica Red car with black handles and mirrors, only black sideskirts.
Old 07 November 2011, 08:56 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

MY is for model year,and the licence for the ecu is ecutek which is what you have to pay before the ecu can be unlocked for mapping. if you are keeping the car as std then you wont need to pay this.
Old 07 November 2011, 09:03 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MicaDan
Also, Mica Red (my car) was only available on MY00 models. So you won't find a Mica Red car with black handles and mirrors, only black sideskirts.
+1 Red mica joined the subaru colour range for 00 only.
Iirc black mica ,and cashmere yellow also joined the colour range but were only available on the 'sport' special which was non turbo & limited edition.
Old 07 November 2011, 10:24 PM
the hamster
BANNED

Originally Posted by midnight
MY is for model year,and the licence for the ecu is ecutek which is what you have to pay before the ecu can be unlocked for mapping. if you are keeping the car as std then you wont need to pay this.
There are mods on the car Midnight. In the 1st post he says that it has "Its got a rear box fitted, dump valve. Roger clark pulley set, and a green panel filter. It also has a sti intercooler"

This would lead me to believe that it would be running leaner if its not been mapped due to all the air related mods.

As Midnight says, to map an MY99/00 ecu you have to use an ECUtek mapper. You pay £150 for the license, then around 2 hours of mappers time which is around £300-400. This may be the reason why its not been done as the other mods on the car cost peanuts.

You also need to check if its had an uprated fuel pump as this is one of the 1st and easiest mods to do on any impreza and usually goes with adding a filter/intercooler etc.

You need as much info off the previous owner as poss mate
Old 07 November 2011, 10:43 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

If he has a different backbox with the primary & secondary cats still in place it should be fine. The air filter is a dry one and better than the oe unit so that should be ok. The pulleys don't effect the fueling - so no worries there. The sti intercooler I am guessing is off a version 5/6 so flows marginally more air than the std black unit. If its off a new age car then as the hamster says worth getting checked over. Which leaves the dumpvalve - which is like marmite love /hate it , but it won't give you any extra performance dispite the claims.

I ran my 99 car with full Decat for 7 months and had no problems before it was mapped to over 300 bhp.if your unsure as to what's been done get it looked at as soon as. ,to be safe.

Last edited by midnight; 07 November 2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07 November 2011, 10:52 PM
the hamster
BANNED

,to be safe.
thats the main thing chap, the rest is kinda guess work without seeing the car etc so you need to know its all running sweet. Chances are, with those mods, if it was mapped it would be around 260bhp, well above standard.
Old 07 November 2011, 11:00 PM
STEVEBOXER
Scooby Regular

My oo has black skirts and spats, £345 for 95h dbm and £1200 for aircon on receipt.Hmmm so is mine 215 bhp standard?
Old 07 November 2011, 11:01 PM
the hamster
BANNED

yup
Old 07 November 2011, 11:22 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

+1 Red mica joined the subaru colour range for 00 only.
Iirc black mica ,and cashmere yellow also joined the colour range but were only available on the 'sport' special which was non turbo & limited edition.
No black mica in the UK range as far as I know other than on the linited edition Catalunyas in 97 I think.

You are spot on about the colour coding though. No colour coded skirts on any UK Turbo 2000 just door mirrors and handles on the MY00.

Oh and as standard the MY99 Turbo 2000 was a better car than a MY00 as the ECU standard mapping was different to that of the MY00 and had more poke in the mid range. And the standard 99 wheels are nicer than the standard MY00 IMO

Last edited by f1_fan; 07 November 2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07 November 2011, 11:41 PM
MicaDan
Scooby Regular

Have any of you guys got an info on the suspension on the MY00 cars, as i've heard that they are supposed to be stiffer and more in line with Sti shocks and springs than earlier UK turbos?
Old 08 November 2011, 12:03 AM
the hamster
BANNED

Definately not as stiff as the Sti's mate, I should know, I've got sti reds on the front and standard rears and the rears bounce like crazy. Really need to sort a set of rears and some new top mounts all round.
Old 08 November 2011, 12:11 AM
MicaDan
Scooby Regular

Definately not as stiff as the Sti's mate, I should know, I've got sti reds on the front and standard rears and the rears bounce like crazy. Really need to sort a set of rears and some new top mounts all round.
Hmmm, I see. I'd only read it somewhere so wasn't sure. My car has had brand new standard shocks on it and they feel very similar to the standard red shocks I had on my 35k mile Sti RA. I thought the UK turbo shocks would be softer to be honest.
Old 08 November 2011, 12:27 AM
jason62
Scooby Regular

There are mods on the car Midnight. In the 1st post he says that it has "Its got a rear box fitted, dump valve. Roger clark pulley set, and a green panel filter. It also has a sti intercooler"

This would lead me to believe that it would be running leaner if its not been mapped due to all the air related mods.

As Midnight says, to map an MY99/00 ecu you have to use an ECUtek mapper. You pay £150 for the license, then around 2 hours of mappers time which is around £300-400. This may be the reason why its not been done as the other mods on the car cost peanuts.

You also need to check if its had an uprated fuel pump as this is one of the 1st and easiest mods to do on any impreza and usually goes with adding a filter/intercooler etc.

You need as much info off the previous owner as poss mate

ive tried to ask him about the remapping, just waiting for him to get back to me!
thanks for your help.
Old 08 November 2011, 12:30 AM
jason62
Scooby Regular

If he has a different backbox with the primary & secondary cats still in place it should be fine. The air filter is a dry one and better than the oe unit so that should be ok. The pulleys don't effect the fueling - so no worries there. The sti intercooler I am guessing is off a version 5/6 so flows marginally more air than the std black unit. If its off a new age car then as the hamster says worth getting checked over. Which leaves the dumpvalve - which is like marmite love /hate it , but it won't give you any extra performance dispite the claims.

I ran my 99 car with full Decat for 7 months and had no problems before it was mapped to over 300 bhp.if your unsure as to what's been done get it looked at as soon as. ,to be safe

thanks mate, im gonna look into it tomorrow.
will try and get some pics up of the intercooler etc tomorrow.

Quick Reply: turbo 2000