ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Why Should I Choose a Scooby?

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2000, 12:00 AM
Grubby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

So you are going for it then Simon? After spending so much time on the BBS and chat room! Hope all goes well.

Nightmare, I won't explain it all but basically the BM costs less to lease because of the discounts offered to our company (we buy loads) and the better residual value (supposedly). Also I take into account the fuel allowance we get which is 40% higher for cars over 2.0litre, this means I make money on the BM and lose it on the Scoob! The downside on the BM is the taxation factor because of the higher list price. My estimated contribution takes into account all of this plus a few minor tweaks. I hope this makes it clearer! The reason the 200SX is so cheap is because we have struck an amazing deal on the leasing, about 70 quid a month less then the Scoob, probably because they can't sell them anymore!

Old 13 January 2000, 12:05 AM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

I only wondered about the Accord Type R cos it's a bit rarer than a Scoob (at the mo anyway) and they are known for top handling (albeit FWD)...
Old 13 January 2000, 12:11 AM
Orville
Scooby Regular

Does your company pay for fuel? 30k miles per year will work out very expensive in a car that averages 20-25mpg.

A mate of mine owns an Integra and he loves it. I find it irritating below 5k rpm because there is so little low/mid ranfe poke but it does handle extremely well for a FWD car.

If you wan't refinement and performance go for the Accord. I have not been in the Type-R, but several work colleagues drive the 2.0ls model and it is very refined.

I wouldn't drive a 3 Series or a Mondeo because I'd never know which one was mine in the car park without first reading the number plate. The 200sx is a bit bland.

Go for the Scoob or the Accord. The Integra is ok if you don't have a family. I went for the Scoob because I drive for fun. I don't use it for work, but I'm often seen nipping out in the middle of the night for a quick blast down some twisty bits. It's bloody addictive.
Old 13 January 2000, 12:25 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Talking

I own two of these cars and have driven most of the others.

The two I own are an STi with big exhaust and solid bushes and so NVH is much higher than an unmodified Scoob, however...

...I find no advantage in using my BMW for long journeys - yes it IS quieter, but the downside is that it is DULL, the squashy suspension makes me feel seasick and it is dynamically like a Christmas pudding. So even with motorway miles ahead, I always pick up the keys for the Scoob first.

Of the others, the only car I have driven since I got the Scoob that impressed me at all was the Accord Type-R - fantastic chassis.

So there you are, some very personal opinions that you may find useful.

David

Old 13 January 2000, 12:25 AM
Grubby
Scooby Regular

My company pays an allowance for fuel for business miles only (about 21,000 a year), even so, the allowance on a 2.0 Scoob won't cover the actual cost (you need to get over 30mpg to break even). I suppose fuel consumption is my biggest concern, if I could up the allowance a bit I doubt I would even be questioning the choice. That is the advantage of the Accord and ST200, being over 2.0 the higher allowance means that I would break even at 22.5mpg.

[This message has been edited by Grubby (edited 13-01-2000).]
Old 13 January 2000, 12:44 AM
NickF
Scooby Regular

Put your foot down in a V6 Mondeo and you'll only get 20-22 mpg. I've had 6 of them, all dead thirsty.

(Can you spot the ex-Ford employee??)
Old 13 January 2000, 11:07 AM
Grubby
Scooby Regular

Question

I need to order new company car this week and I think it will be an Impreza Turbo. I am seeking opinions from others about my 'short'list. Many of the cars on it are better equipped, quieter and so on and would actually cost me less in terms of overall contribution (I won't try and explain how this is calculated) over 3 years. My gut feel is certainly for the Scooby, but would welcome others thoughts.

Vehicle -------------------- My total contribution for 3 years

Impreza Turbo (with aircon)--- £5500
BMW 323Ci -------------------- £4800
Mondeo ST200 ----------------- £5300
Accord Type-R (with aircon) -- £5600
Integra Type-R (with aircon) - £3600
Nissan 200SX Turbo Touring --- £3700

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated!

[This message has been edited by Grubby (edited 13-01-2000).]
Old 13 January 2000, 11:23 AM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Well to be honest I can't really comment on any of them except the Scoob but I have to say I'd be tempted by the Type R's, especially the Accord. I guess you can't try them out first? Maybe a quick trip to a Honda dealer might be in order to see what you reckon.

I think it depends what you want. If you're gonna be doing loads of motorway miles then the BMW is probably a better option just because of the comfort factor but if you want a bit more fun I'd go for either the Type R or the scoob.

Besides, do you really expect impartial advice on this BBS?!
Old 13 January 2000, 11:24 AM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Question

Tis a tricky one...

It really depends what you want the car for...if you want to join the psuedo high flyers then get the B'MER. it will last forever...won't have as much poke as most of the other cars on your short list.

Mondeo...its a ford (waiting for attack from Mike Rainbird) but they are quite good.

Accord Type-R...friend has one...not quite as raw as the Integra...very nice...screams away in the VTEC zone... more comfortable than integra too. engine (and all other VTEC lumps) are practically bomb proof.

Integra Type-R...I thought about one of these...lightened...i.e you loose some of the comforts you'll find on the other cars...hard ride...needs to be revved to extract the performance.

Nissan 200SX...expensive for what it is...test drove one...power is okay...but not a patch on a scooby...Rear wheel drive for roundabout fun !

The Scooby...I'm on my second one now. Theres something about the lure of AWD and a turbocharger which keeps me coming back. I pay very little attention to the externals of the car. Im interested more about what the car handles like and how it communicates.
I've always been a sucker for a turbocharger

Go drive them all...only you will know which one suits you best

Happy testdriving

Ian G.
Old 13 January 2000, 11:37 AM
Grubby
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks guys, I have tested the Accord Type-R and loved it, the Scooby drove better but is less refined, I even tried the Prelude 2.2VTI but looks are dull as dishwater. BMW are supposed to be arranging 323Ci for be but I don't think I really want to become one of the small d**k brigade? Unable to find a ST200 for demo so far, will probably get a go in the 200SX tomorrow.

You are right about not getting impartial advce here, but I am so near the edge I am only looking for a small push anyway! I suppose I am really looking for any reasons why NOT to get the Scooby, I do about 30,000 a year and love driving - it is not about getting from A to B but more about enjoying the journey! Anyway, I am sure all of these will be vastly better than my V6 Vectra SRI (sorry)!
Old 13 January 2000, 11:42 AM
Nightmare
Scooby Regular

if you love driving - then get the scooby. If its something to get from A - B, get the BM. The others are all really good - but why get 'the best front wheel drive jap screamer' when you can have 'the best 4 wheel drive jap screamer'! Thats a whole 2 extra wheels with power...gotta be worth it

I cant work out how the BM, which is the most expensive car on your list is the cheapest to get though.... ? Je suis puzzled

[This message has been edited by Nightmare (edited 13-01-2000).]
Old 13 January 2000, 11:45 AM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Hiya,

I do about 1000 miles a week in my scoob and it's been fabulous. If you love driving (as I do) then I would strongly recommend it.

The comfort is fine IMHO, I like the support of the seats and don't bind a fairly hard seat. I have driven almost any car you can think of and have to say there is very little that beets the scoob for smile factor.

Except maybe a Lotus Esprit which I'm getting next week!!

Do it.. you won't regret it!!

Cheers

Simon
Old 13 January 2000, 01:20 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

I have driven all except Integra R (though the Accord drive was a couple of goes in my mates company car (he works for Honda)

BMW - very "nice" & comfortable. Makes you feel like a snob though - latest version not that quick as previous model as it has gained some weight (dont we all) Dont know where your company gets em from but my brother works for a dealer (hint hint)

Mondeo ST200 - was expecting more go with over 200bhp - thirsty & ITS A MONDEO - say no more.

Accord Type R - If you aint in the mood its tiring to drive - not Scoob quick. Boring to drive under the VTEC zone.

Nissan - after scoob best of this bunch - loads a fun from the rear end - watch it in the wet. Loads of toys on the Touring version - no image though

Ro
Old 13 January 2000, 02:09 PM
Toby C
Scooby Regular

Cool

Intesting one.

My next door neighbour has had the Integra Type-R and has now got the Accord Type-R, and belive my, they both fly!!.
I found that the Accord is a lot more roomer then the Intregra.
So between the Accord and Scooby, GO FOR THE SCOOBY!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 13 January 2000, 02:59 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Don't go for any of these cars, they are all noisy(ish), thirsty and expensive to insure.

Get a Ford Fiesta (Not one of those thirsty 1.6 zetec ones!). The fuel/insurance/initial costs will all be much more reasonable with a fiesta. This decision will probably end up making you money in the long run and you won't have any parts/servicing problems with it.

You will probably save yourself enough money to over the ownership period to buy yourself a nice big widescreen telly to watch motorsports, football and soap on, saving further money that may have otherwise been spent on frivilous and unnecessary trips out to pubs, cinemas and resteraunts!

Moray
(pst! only kidding, go for the scoob, the enjoyment gained offsets the costs involved nicely, assuming driving is your "bag"! )
Old 13 January 2000, 03:30 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Grubby

If its your own car, remember you can claim tax relief on the business mileage you do. You can claim tax relief back on the first 4000 miles at 45p per mile and tax relief on further miles at 25p per mile minus the contribution that the company makes.

An alternate method is to work out the complete cost of running the car (including any interest on a loan you used to pay for the car) then you can claim tax relief on the percentage of this that is down to company business. Work out the ratio using total mileage against company mileage.

Not quite sure of these numbers but they're near eneough. The inland revenue publishes a leaflet on using private cars for company business and claiming tax relief.

I'm not a financial adviser - so don't quote me on the specifics.

Anyway - it looks like I'll be claiming back around £1000 in April.

Regards
James
Old 13 January 2000, 03:59 PM
Grubby
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

James,

Yes I am aware of this, but after working out all the sums it isn't really worth it for me. I decided to let my company take all the risks associated with theft, breakdowns, servicing, insurance and tyres etc. The amount I would save by taking a cash option and claiming back the actuals from the Inland Revenue would not be sufficient to offset the risks of Scooby ownership.
Old 13 January 2000, 05:45 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Went through similar process 18 months ago when changing company car. Didn't go for Impreza at the time due to 9 months waiting list at the time. I went for an Alfa Romeo 156 V6 as it was faster, more sporty, looked better etc than the BMW/Audi/Merc brigade, wasn't a Ford, offered a better more complet package than Accord Type-R (similar performace, close on handling, better engine note/looks/interior/heritage etc) and wasn't a Ford!

Was very happy until changed jobs, lost Alfa, gained Car allowance, drove Subaru, realised I could get one within a fortnight, ordered it, took it to Prodrive for performance pack, and started grinning - still haven't stopped.

Have now got a car that is faster than anything it realistically competes with on the road, cast iron reliability (so far), eates miles (12000 miles in 4 months), entertains me more than I could previously imagined etc etc. With the exception of engine note and interior/exterior looks beats the Alfa by a mile.

Advice - get the Subaru - nothing (imports possibly excepted) this side of a 911 C4 compares, get it PPP'd at Prodrive - warrenty/leasing company friendly tuning - and get ready for the blast of your life. The only downsides to impreza ownership are fuel costs, getting hooked on the performance/tuning bug - and trying to get driving lights out of 'scooby suppliers'!!
Old 13 January 2000, 07:12 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Go for the scooby

But I would say that wouldn't I

Honest tho, I have driven many diffrent cars, not all that are on your list, (Ford, BMW, Honda) and I can say that if you get the scooby you will not be disapointed. In my mind you just can't beat AWD.

David
Old 13 January 2000, 08:03 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Cool

This is a great places for impartial advice .

If it was my companies money I would go for the scoob but my own money I would still go for the scoob. How impartial is that .

I think most people have gone through the list you have. The hondas seem great but have to work them hard. BM's good solid realiable motor no edge though not really an enthuiasts (sp?) car. Mondeo depreciation (I know it not your money though) and 2 a penny.
Nissan good motor but a bit of a handful in the wet and in the UK its wet often .

Just my opinion though. When I brought the scoob I had three on the list skyliner (too expensive when it came down to it), elise (anyone who knows me can understand why I didnt get one ) and I a brought the third.

If you need something to tip you over the edge then it got to be the cult following, track meets, regional meets and general friendless of the owners. Oh and the BBS

cheers

chrisp

Old 13 January 2000, 09:16 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Try driving one you'll find out.
Seriously, i have just been through the same process looking at the same cars.
The Subaru does all things brilliantly (really, it does). The others on the list have their good and bad points. I do 1-2K miles a month of mixed driving and i always get out of mine with a bloddy great smile on my face.
Accept no substitute it's the real thing cleche cleche.

Paul
Old 13 January 2000, 09:29 PM
V697DMO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Its really a no brainer - get the Scooby

I was in exactly this situation a month or so ago and looked at pretty much the same list.

Fords are fords and just the fact that you are looking here means you are not a ford driver at heart (depsite the fact that the ST is good, it ain't good enough)

BMW, very nice, very capable, dull as ditch water and just another BMW - do you want to be part of this crowd (thats the only reason to get one, you know car keys on the bar type)

Honda's - well some serious driving fun and potential competition in the dry on a good road - but this is the UK when was the last time you found a) A good road and b) It did'nt rain

Nissan - I am assuming that this is there to make up the numbers as I really can't think of any reason why you would want one, unless you have a medalion that you need to sart wearing again.

To make the point (if I still need to) Just over a year ago I did'nt get the Scoob and fromthe moment I turned the ignition key in my new car (I won't disclose which) I regretted my decision, luckily for me I got to change it.

Don't repeat my mistake

Old 13 January 2000, 09:42 PM
Penni Whitehead
Scooby Regular

Out of the limited list of choices you put up then the Scoob of course is the obvious.

It really all depends what you want out of your car - you have alot of miles to drive, then it's probably not the most comfortable but certainly the most fun - do you have a family you have to cart around - then maybe not your best choice - will the wife/girlfriend need to drive it - will she adapt to it - it's a female friendly car but it does takes some convincing - it's not economical - but saying that the maintenance is not any more expensive than that of a Rover (in fact cheaper than a Rover) - if I had to buy one car and one car only - then I would buy a 406 Diesel Estate (if that was my only only option for a car). Fortunately, we are lucky to own three, the Scoob is mine - his the 406 - he drives alot of miles- we go to France frequently thus the praticality - it's down to what you really want and where your priorties lie - you won't get impartial advice on this website - but you wouldn't regret getting the Scoob (hand on heart) but you will end up frustrated because from here there's no where else to go - there is no more up!

Best of luck
QP

[This message has been edited by Penni Whitehead (edited 13-01-2000).]
Old 13 January 2000, 09:49 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Penni is right its the fear factor on buying something after the scooby. I have decided on my next car, another scooby. Something I have never done before. I said I would always go forward and upward. I just reach the limit .

Warning: driving scoobies can serious raise your pub boredom factor . It takes over your whole way of life. (a bit extreme )

chrisp

[This message has been edited by chrisp (edited 13-01-2000).]
Old 14 January 2000, 02:28 PM
Grubby
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well thanks for all the advice, first time using this BBS and very pleased with the responses!

Just to let you know, I have just been for another Scooby test, this time pushed it a bit more on some damp roads and it was excellent! Order now going in, hopefully meet up with you all at a summer event somewhere!

Just for the record, yes I do have a family but I have a Honda CRV for shopping and lugging kids/dog around so if they don't like the Scoob then there isn't a problem. As for what comes after the Scoob?, well I have three years before I need to worry about that!

Thanks agin.
Old 30 December 2007, 07:39 PM
jockc79
Scooby Regular

mb
Old 30 December 2007, 07:54 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

why has this been dragged out of the ether?
Old 30 December 2007, 08:21 PM
fraser87uk
Scooby Regular

You cant say that is bland. Thats my Silvia (200sx), and it humps scoobs. For sale btw...

The accord type-r is awesome. Very refined and very nice to drive. love it.
Old 30 December 2007, 08:22 PM
fraser87uk
Scooby Regular

****, didnt realise the age of the post lol.
Old 31 December 2007, 12:43 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fraser87uk

You cant say that is bland. Thats my Silvia (200sx), and it humps scoobs. For sale btw...
I'd have you in the twisties