First Every Subaru - P1

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2011, 07:40 PM
PPower01
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First Subaru - P1

Hi Everyone!

After a few years of deciding and half heartedly looking to buy an Evo or Impreza, I managed to come across my Subaru Impreza P1 0917/1000, with thanks to my brother (blitzfighter) who found it.

I didn't think much of the car until I called the seller, who had owned the car for the last eight years, and had not modified it.
He also told me that the car had a full extensive service history from Subaru, with the remaining last six years being maintained by Roger Clark Motorsport.

After hearing that it was a low owner car, and the extensive history, I went to see it.
Apart from a few scratches and a bit of a rust bubble near the antenna and on the corner of the roof, it looked perfectly straight and in rather good nick... So, I bought it!

This is the first Subaru I went to see, and bought it straight away!

Since having it for three weeks now, I have cleaned her up a bit and carried out a full service, including changing the cam belt.

From looking at a full folder of receipts (plus original bill of sale
) , she has had the following modifications carried out:

1. AP Racing 6 pot callipers with AP Racing 8 grooved 330mm discs + Ferodo DS2500 pads
2. Goodridge brake hose set
3. RCM carbon wing mirrors
4. STi Bonnet Scoop
4. Upraterd Fuel Pump
5. RCM 2.5" Exhaust system (from downpipe)
6. Remapped to 320bhp.

After driving the car, I just can't stop smiling! It goes like a stabbed rabbit, and handles like on rails. Absolutely unbelievable!
Thinking back now, I can't believe I ever thought of going for an Evo alternative.

At the moment I just want to tidy her up, but am falling into the whirlpool of spending money on up-rating parts.. which I'm trying to resist!

Last edited by PPower01; 06 August 2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01 November 2011, 07:43 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice fella i love the p1,
is that panel gap on the front bumper right? looks very big.
i have no idea as im not a p1 owner.
ap racing brakes lurvely!!!
Old 01 November 2011, 07:45 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Looks very nice mate, the scoop isn't for me, but the rest of it looks spot on.

Is the rust bubble near the front screen? If so you will probbaly need to get the screen out and clean up the opening as that is a common rust area on the classic. Shouldn't cost a fortune, but worth getting done so it stops it rotting from behind the screen rubber if you know what I mean.

Anyway enjoy your car
Old 01 November 2011, 07:45 PM
ad uk
Scooby Regular

get rid of the scoop and put original one bck on then will be nice
Old 01 November 2011, 08:02 PM
w44syf
Scooby Regular

very nice mate
Old 01 November 2011, 08:11 PM
PPower01
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys!

@ TubbyTommy - You're right with the gap in the bumper. The previous owner was going over a bump and ripped some of the clips and bolts that hold it in place. I will be removing the bumper to have it re-sprayed, and upon fitting, I will align everything up to how it used to be. The breaks are great; all I need to do is get a matching rear set! :P

@F1 fan - Thanks for the tip. It has a slight chip on the front wing (joining to the bumper), which if you look at closely will see... That will get done with time.
I have two rust bubbles, one on the corner of the antenna, and the other on the corner of the roof (near the antenna). I will be removing the front window seal and see how bad it is. If not too bad then it should save me taking out the window, if not then I will have no choice.

@ad uk - I bought the car with that already on. I do have all the original parts, but at the moment I quite like having the bigger scoop on. Later on when my taste might change, I'll have it changed for the original. But for now this will stay.
Old 01 November 2011, 08:17 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PPower01
Thanks guys!

@ TubbyTommy - You're right with the gap in the bumper. The previous owner was going over a bump and ripped some of the clips and bolts that hold it in place. I will be removing the bumper to have it re-sprayed, and upon fitting, I will align everything up to how it used to be. The breaks are great; all I need to do is get a matching rear set! :P

@F1 fan - Thanks for the tip. It has a slight chip on the front wing (joining to the bumper), which if you look at closely will see... That will get done with time.
I have two rust bubbles, one on the corner of the antenna, and the other on the corner of the roof (near the antenna). I will be removing the front window seal and see how bad it is. If not too bad then it should save me taking out the window, if not then I will have no choice.

@ad uk - I bought the car with that already on. I do have all the original parts, but at the moment I quite like having the bigger scoop on. Later on when my taste might change, I'll have it changed for the original. But for now this will stay.
personally i like the big scoop
Old 01 November 2011, 08:25 PM
scatty
Scooby Regular

looks great. glad you are enjoying it, gotta be better than the evo brigade....must admit i prefer the original scoop, but thats a personal choice...

enjoy.....
Old 01 November 2011, 09:36 PM
Blitzfighter
Scooby Regular

hello and welcome!!!

might see you around
Old 01 November 2011, 09:49 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the rear arches, you need to get your fingers up under the rim as that rots from the inside out wouldnt be the first P1 thats done that (my type R has been in the UK since new and just started on the arches when I got her, needed to sort it out asap as a little spot on the rear normally means a few inches up the wing )

Tony
Old 01 November 2011, 09:54 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Love P1's

Not so sure on the scoop or the mirrors but each to their own.
Old 01 November 2011, 09:58 PM
PPower01
Scooby Regular

@TonyBurns - Ahhh thanks for that! I will take it to work this weekend and get it checked out! Thanks for the heads up!

@CrewJ - Thanks. I have a long way to go to get it to the standard I want. I'll get there...eventually :P
Old 01 November 2011, 10:59 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I'd lose the scoop too...........

What happened to the driving lights? AFAIK, all P1's came with either halogen, or HID 90mm driving lights that looked through holes in the covers?

The clips for the bumper are available in packs off e-bay for a couple of ££ a go.

And he's put clear front indicators in too, hasn't he?
Old 01 November 2011, 11:13 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What a fantastic looking Scooby. The P1 really is the UK tweaked, ready to go Impreza. It looks right for UK roads, and has the perfect suspension set-up, better than any other scooby...

Leave as is, drive and drive it a whole lot more
Old 01 November 2011, 11:17 PM
PPower01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
I'd lose the scoop too...........

What happened to the driving lights? AFAIK, all P1's came with either halogen, or HID 90mm driving lights that looked through holes in the covers?

The clips for the bumper are available in packs off e-bay for a couple of ££ a go.

And he's put clear front indicators in too, hasn't he?
I have the open halogen covers in the garage. I didn't know that you can cover them up until the owner told me!
Yeah he did put clear indicators... they don't look too bad at all.

Thanks for letting me know about the bumper clips, I'll look into it.
Old 01 November 2011, 11:19 PM
PPower01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bonesetter
What a fantastic looking Scooby. The P1 really is the UK tweaked, ready to go Impreza. It looks right for UK roads, and has the perfect suspension set-up, better than any other scooby...

Leave as is, drive and drive it a whole lot more
Thanks!
Old 02 November 2011, 01:18 AM
harry_p1
Scooby Regular

Nice and Clean
Out of the 5 Impreza's ive had over the years I enjoyed my P1 the most even considered selling my current Hawkeye Sti to get one but with the little one the saloons are abit more practical with 4 doors.
Old 02 November 2011, 04:37 AM
P1 LTD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ad uk
get rid of the scoop and put original one bck on then will be nice

+1
Old 02 November 2011, 10:53 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

+2 re the scoop, just looks wrong to me, but a nice clean car all the same.

A big plus was RCM looking after it as they will have done a far better job than any dealer.
Old 02 November 2011, 10:56 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat Boy
+2 re the scoop, just looks wrong to me, but a nice clean car all the same.

A big plus was RCM looking after it as they will have done a far better job than any dealer.
Agreed..........but you'll pay through the nose for it
Old 02 November 2011, 01:24 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Looks lovely chap and sounds like its got some nice history.
I'm not keen on the scoop either but each to their own. Mirrors are nice though.
Old 02 November 2011, 02:49 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice car, i would just leave it as it is and enjoy, 320 is perfect for a classic, and everything lasts and can stand it, where i think a lot of people go wrong is chasing bigger numbers, but the cars feel looses something along the way,learn to drive it well and you will not find a more rewarding car.
Old 02 November 2011, 02:55 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

is the spoiler andjustable on the p1?
i heard some imprezas have this but have never seen it.
i like the carbon bits. i love carbon fibre!
Old 02 November 2011, 03:43 PM
WRX Blues
Scooby Regular

Welcome onboard

Great car - I would lose the scoop though - P1 looks fab with the classic scoop!
Old 02 November 2011, 05:33 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Nice car, i would just leave it as it is and enjoy, 320 is perfect for a classic, and everything lasts and can stand it, where i think a lot of people go wrong is chasing bigger numbers, but the cars feel looses something along the way,learn to drive it well and you will not find a more rewarding car.
Spoken with true affection

I agree, ~320 on 5-speed in a classic, is sweet spot for road use
Old 02 November 2011, 07:14 PM
PPower01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harry_p1
Nice and Clean
Out of the 5 Impreza's ive had over the years I enjoyed my P1 the most even considered selling my current Hawkeye Sti to get one but with the little one the saloons are abit more practical with 4 doors.
Thanks Harry P1.

Originally Posted by alcazar
Agreed..........but you'll pay through the nose for it
I was looking at the invoices, and the amount of money the previous owner had spent on it was unbelievable!

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
is the spoiler andjustable on the p1?
i heard some imprezas have this but have never seen it.
i like the carbon bits. i love carbon fibre!
To my knowledge from what I have studied, I don't believe that the rear spoler is adjustable. I also quite like the carbon bits

I'd just like to thank everyone for their posts and sharing their thoughts on the car.
Old 02 November 2011, 07:49 PM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

lovely car i got a big scoob and same mirrors on a type r but a p1 should look standard body work wise i think only my opinion hope u love the scooby ownership mate
Old 02 November 2011, 08:36 PM
carlito
Scooby Regular

Hi mate...Guess what...I've got number 979 and the number plate ends in HPE too!!!

It's weird seeing a very similar prefix on another P1!!

I've even got the origional dealer supplied number plates with the dealer name "Bell and Coalville" at the bottom which I can just make out on your P1!!

P1's can be a point of contention when it comes to the question of keeping them standard or not both on looks and other modifications.

I personally think the P1 should be kept as it looked when it rolled off the Prodrive line as this is what makes the car so special.

But each to their own and what looks good to one may not suit another!!!

Mildly modded power and handling wise is perfect and would only benifit the car as long as it's done discreatly without any engine bay bling

My P1 has the origional suspension tweaked with just a whiteline rear arb and links/anti lift kit and bumpsteer and geo from P/Station.

The origional struts are made up with Eibach springs custom rated for the P1 and Bilsteins which apparently were reached after trying more than 20 setups so If Prodrive think they are a good setup...I'm happy with that!!

This along with a K&N Panel filter in the origional airbox and a full de-cat system with a P1 back box and a re-map by B.Rawle is near perfection IMO.

Running a comfortable 320-330bhp

My car's also been looked after by RCM for the last few services and although they are not cheap, they are IMO by far the best people to look after the P1's and know them inside out.

The front bumper sagging is a common problem on the P1 with such a heavy bumper and a weak bumper support bar and bolts..nothing that can't be sorted.

Enjoy it mate and maybe see you at RCM sometime!!

Old 02 November 2011, 11:14 PM
PPower01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by carlito
Hi mate...Guess what...I've got number 979 and the number plate ends in HPE too!!!

It's weird seeing a very similar prefix on another P1!!

I've even got the origional dealer supplied number plates with the dealer name "Bell and Coalville" at the bottom which I can just make out on your P1!!

P1's can be a point of contention when it comes to the question of keeping them standard or not both on looks and other modifications.

I personally think the P1 should be kept as it looked when it rolled off the Prodrive line as this is what makes the car so special.

But each to their own and what looks good to one may not suit another!!!

Mildly modded power and handling wise is perfect and would only benifit the car as long as it's done discreatly without any engine bay bling

My P1 has the origional suspension tweaked with just a whiteline rear arb and links/anti lift kit and bumpsteer and geo from P/Station.

The origional struts are made up with Eibach springs custom rated for the P1 and Bilsteins which apparently were reached after trying more than 20 setups so If Prodrive think they are a good setup...I'm happy with that!!

This along with a K&N Panel filter in the origional airbox and a full de-cat system with a P1 back box and a re-map by B.Rawle is near perfection IMO.

Running a comfortable 320-330bhp

My car's also been looked after by RCM for the last few services and although they are not cheap, they are IMO by far the best people to look after the P1's and know them inside out.

The front bumper sagging is a common problem on the P1 with such a heavy bumper and a weak bumper support bar and bolts..nothing that can't be sorted.

Enjoy it mate and maybe see you at RCM sometime!!
Haha! That's absolutely awesome! Another P1 with the same Prefix... Yours looks absolutely lovely!

It's a shame they didn't come off the production line next to each other... number 979 and 980... Now that would have been special!!

All I'm going to add is a 3" decat and have it remapped. I'd like to know what ecu's the P1's are supplied with.

With regards to aesthetics looks, I am not going to do any light changes or window tinting (as some do), as I personally think it looks tacky and the car loses its class.

We should meet up some time to admire the two beauties
Old 02 November 2011, 11:19 PM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

Nice P1.........

Quick Reply: First Every Subaru - P1