Sponsored by:

Sumo 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2011, 02:15 PM
Old Seadog
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sumo 4x4

I have a little 1993 1.2 Sumo 4x4 with side windows which I bought on e-bay. It had been standing behind a barn for twelve months and not started for five but it fired instantly and ran perfectly. Until I gave it a bit of tlc, changed the plugs and leads, new coil, new distributor cap, thermostat, fluids and filters. Now it starts from cold but won't run until thoroughly warmed up; and the 4wd has packed up. I think the former is the slow jet in the carb and I've ordered a replacement needle via the very helpful Steve at Japarts; and I assume the 4wd has a solenoid or something somewhere in the gearbox (can't see it) because we have 12 volts where everything disappears inside

Does anyone know anything about the Sumo? It is absolutely perfect for my leisure activities and i love it to bits so it's worth keeping it going, if I can. But I do need it to run properly again and I do need the 4wd.

Any thoughts and advice from Members will be very much appreciated.
Old 27 October 2011, 02:40 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

You might have more luck on www.mvbrumbybrat.co.uk as theres more fellas there that fettle with the older NA engines.

Is the sumo still the flat4 or is it the justy style straight 4?
Old 27 October 2011, 03:10 PM
Old Seadog
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for that; I'll have a look. However, since I am 70 I'm not sure about you defining 1993 as 'older'!

The Sumo has a flat 3-cylinder 1.2 litre engine as used in Justys of the same era. Mine has a carburettor but later ones had electronic ignition. Maybe mine can be changed but finding anyone who understands them is proving tricky. Or perhaps a nice set of triple downdraft Webers would do the trick?

Last edited by Old Seadog; 27 October 2011 at 03:11 PM.