Sponsored by:

Clutch judder

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2001, 11:17 PM
GeeJay
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Lancasters in Pangbourne replaced my clutch after 2 years and approx 40,000 miles - you just have to give them a bit of hassle
Old 01 April 2001, 12:12 AM
Jack Cowell
Scooby Regular

par for the course I'm afraid, just burn it a few times. \\\\it works.
jack C
Old 01 April 2001, 10:11 AM
PhilH
Scooby Regular

Hi Colin

I suggest you ignore the previous post. The clutch judder will only get worse with time. Its largely due to a misalignment problem which is well known to Subaru.

If you've not done anything silly with the clutch previously and Lancasters don't want to proceed under warranty then contact another dealer.

Also, don't waste any time - you don't give details of your vehicle but age/mileage can become a negotiating factor.

Phil (MY00 clutch changed at 16k miles)
Old 01 April 2001, 12:51 PM
Colin Berry
Scooby Regular

Question

I know this has been posted to death but..

I am currently trying to get Lancaster of Sevenoaks t replace my clutch and flywheel due to juddering. Can you please post any success stories where you have got this done on warranty to help fuel my case.
Cheers.
Old 01 April 2001, 04:43 PM
Graham Stocker
Scooby Regular

Wink

I agree with Jack!!
Old 01 April 2001, 05:43 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does it have to happen ALL the time?? mine is bad about once a week for a few miles then sorts itself out - hardly warrants a claim from me does it?? or will it really get worse?

Pete
Old 01 April 2001, 08:11 PM
mat-e-boy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Had new cluth/flywheel replaced reluctantly by my local dealer (they also supplied the car) after forth visit 7500miles and six months from new. Now is just over 16k and 13months old and is ok.
Good luck with your claim.
Matthew
(MY00 new March2000)
Old 01 April 2001, 09:38 PM
Colin Berry
Scooby Regular

MY car is 2.5 years old but has only done 18,000 miles and all of it long trips, ie no shopping, commuting etc. In fact, just trips on this site
The clutch judders only when cold. Although not terminal I am aware that the end of the warranty is in sight and I don't want to have to replace it just after its run out.
Keep the ingo coming guys because I may present it to Lancaster if I feel the need.
Old 01 April 2001, 09:46 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Angry

It's simple - clutch judder is a fault covered under warranty - end of.

If the clutch shows signs of abuse then you may be in trouble. The dealer will fit a clutch kit with new flywheel and modified pressure plate.

David
Old 01 April 2001, 09:51 PM
Scooby-dude
Scooby Regular

Question

Any signs of this problem on a MY01?
Old 01 April 2001, 10:52 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

SD - I would have hoped that they have learnt their lesson and fitted a modified clutch to the MY01.

Colin - My clutch was replaced at 18K miles under warranty. My car was bought new in March 2000. Clutch judder was originally reported at the 7.5K service. At the time, my dealer didn't feel it was worth replacing it as a) it wasn't that bad (I agreed) and b)at the time, there was no recommended fix and the unit would simply be replaced with an identical clutch (and the problem would occur again).

My dealer (Cheam Motors) had no problem with this and replaced the clutch and flywheel under warranty at 18K when a recommended fix was made available. The car is now fitted with the stronger P1 clutch housing which addresses the pressure issue that was causing the judder.

I'm still surprised that dealers kick up a fuss about this. Firstly it is an acknowledged problem (with a recommended fix) and it is covered by Subaru UK's warranty / insurance program, that means they get paid for doing all the work. Hmmm..

Chris
Old 01 April 2001, 11:08 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Question

Shark - what happens if it isnt juddering when its at the dealers????
They say that its ok and you are stuffed?

Pete
Old 01 April 2001, 11:47 PM
APJ
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

MY00 10 months old, 18k miles, dealer replaces the clutch without batting an eyelid. Nice one Tileys!

Andrew
Old 02 April 2001, 12:59 AM
Mojo
Scooby Regular

Hollywood,

Are you having to pay for it in advance and claim it back from the Dutch dealer later?
How much is it costing?

Cheers
Mojo
Old 02 April 2001, 08:14 AM
RichS
Scooby Regular

pslewis -
Exactly!

All -
Are we all talking about the same level of severity?
Mine judders when cold, but is fine once it's warmed up.

This is beginning to really pi$$ me off hearing some of you state that clutch judder is a known and acknowledged fault with a Subaru recommended fix under warranty.

I suggested to my dealer that clutch judder was a known fault and was met with blank looks.

Rich

[OOPS ANOTHER SPELLING EDIT]

[This message has been edited by RichS (edited 02 April 2001).]
Old 02 April 2001, 08:48 AM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

It seems to be affecting MY00 dignificantly, as all the previous posts seem to be for MY00 cars.

I bought mine in April 00 and had the clutch and Flywheel replaced under warranty at 7500 miles, it is now on 19000 miles and seems to be ok. (Well, it has juddered once since replacement).

Jim
Old 02 April 2001, 09:56 AM
Shark
Scooby Regular

pslewis

The dealer is supposted to experence the fault, so you may have to leave it with the dealer for a few days so they can try it. I would say that you should get a move on as in my experence it is worse the colder it is.

David
Old 02 April 2001, 10:08 AM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Angry

RichS,

I suspect I know the garage that gave you the blank looks !!!! I have heard so many people in the area with the same response - It is so annoying..........
I can tell you of other garages nearby who people have gone to to get the clutch sorted - I have been led to believe that the flywheel is also usually replaced for this fault. e-mail me if you need further info + good luck,

Gastro
Old 02 April 2001, 10:38 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

When I mention a 'KNOWN' fault to my dealer and he asks where I got the information from - I say Scoobynet and all I get is a !!!!!!

Leave my baby at the dealers for a few days so a spotty herbert can take it home and cane the 4rse off it??????????????? are you mad??? NO WAY!!

Pete
Old 02 April 2001, 10:56 AM
Hollywood
Scooby Regular

Lancaster Pangbourne replacing mine today - and it's a Dutch import! 11,000 miles, only judders when cold, (I can live with that) but also "squaks" when engaging drive, which I can't.

Nick
Old 02 April 2001, 12:13 PM
Gerg2
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

MY94...Major clutch judder. Any chance of a warranty claim with that?

Doubt it
Old 02 April 2001, 01:09 PM
Hollywood
Scooby Regular

Yup - Lancaster have had the go ahead from IM, who in turn have had the go ahead from Subaru Netherlands to carry out the work. I pay up front, Lancaster send the old clutch off to Holland, and hopefully Subaru NL agree it was dodgy, re-imburse IM who re-imburse Lancaster, who re-imburse me.

I think.

If I have any trouble I'll see if my Dutch dealer (Gertjan) can assist - I know he's helped people in the past.

Nick
Old 02 April 2001, 01:10 PM
Hollywood
Scooby Regular

Sorry - cost would be around £950 as they change the whole lot, flywheel an' all. However Lancaster may bill me less than this if they're confident that they'll get the money back, which they seem to be. I'll have to wait until tonight to know for sure...
Old 02 April 2001, 01:34 PM
Phil Hammond
Scooby Regular

Although I had heard people were suffering from this problem I'd assumed, wrongly, that this was being experienced during normal driving conditions not just from start up. My car (RB5) judders most times I drive out of my driveway (i.e car still cold, also driveway is on a hill) but after that the car is fine - I put it down to the car being or cold, and/or, bad clutch control on my part but perhaps I should get Sharkie to take a look next time I'm up at Lavender Hill.

Anyway my main point for posting is that wouldn't you think a manufacturer who consistently tops the JD Power survey would replace the faulty components automatically before waiting for customers to complain!!
They wouldn't even have to recall the cars they could just replace the parts the next time the relevant cars go in for a service.
Old 02 April 2001, 02:59 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Pete

Where are you? I could look at it if you want to. Having said that you could insist that the car dosen't leave the dealers premesis, after all the fault is apparent when starting from cold, they have no need to drive it any great distance.

Phil, I will try your car wheb it's in for the service, perhaps you could leave it the night before.

David
Old 02 April 2001, 06:00 PM
Phil Hammond
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

David, (Shark)

Now that I am aware that it may not be my driving I will pay attention next time I leave my driveway and try ascertain whether something is wrong or not. If so I will try and get the car to you the night before - beats getting up at 07:30

I'll let you know.
Cheers
Phil
Old 02 April 2001, 06:28 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanx Shark - nice of you to offer - alas I am many miles from you.

Mine only happens when cold and about twice a week only - I think I need to mention it to my dealer - have him put it on the computer then I should be covered should it fail badly later on? maybe?

Its in for its 15,000 mile service next week

Pete
Old 02 April 2001, 07:38 PM
crusher
Scooby Regular

One dealer wanted to play hardball....I approached another who drove the car and immediately said it was faulty...new clutch is fitted and problem has disappeared...
Old 02 April 2001, 07:51 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

Hold on a minute, have I missed domething here?

If you have an import and something needs replacing, then you pay up front and hope that the garage you bought it from (in another country with possible language problems) agrees to the repair after it is fixed!!!!!!!

Does all the warranty work get done like this for an import??????

Bu66er that.

F

Old 02 April 2001, 08:31 PM
PhilH
Scooby Regular

Talking

Floyd

You are correct re. clutches ONLY because SUBARU NL wish to check whether the fault is due to manufacture or poor use of the clutch (boy racer style)- for other items its usually straight forward.

Phil

Quick Reply: Clutch judder