Recommendations for Engine Rebuild in North East / Newcastle

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2011, 12:07 PM
Fragmau5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations for Engine Rebuild in North East / Newcastle

Morning guys,

Well, I fear the worst this morning as last night, my JDM 98 Version 4 STi went pop. Was pushing the car quite hard (which is very rare for me) and suddenly felt almost a pop, sudden loss of power, and chucking thick grey smoke from the exhaust, as well as a lump idle.

Turned her over this morning quickly, then went to check the oil - has dropped all her oil somewhere, and white/grey smoke coming from the filler cap.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for any decent engine rebuilders up in the north east, or whether it might be better to just swap engines all together, depending on cost really.

Will do a compression test later today, as I'm really not sure what's happened, but I need her back on the road asap, so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers guys
Old 23 September 2011, 12:22 PM
Phil555
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Have a browse of our local club bud. Some very, very well respected builders on here.

http://nesf.forumotion.co.uk/
Old 23 September 2011, 03:39 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Can't do better than to HIGHLY recommend Harvey Smith. he posts as harvey on here.

He will discuss the problem and what you want from the car now, then advise as to the best way of going about it, while keeping your new engine safe and costs to a minimum.

The actual work is carried out at DLM Auto Services in Darlington, Darren is a top man.
Old 23 September 2011, 03:42 PM
Fragmau5
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies guys. I've been on the phone to Darren at DLM this morning discussing possible options, and I think the most cost effective way would be to just buy a bottom end and have the whole thing replaced. Just need to find myself a suitable bottom end now!
Old 23 September 2011, 08:39 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

That's what I did. But I was lucky: I found someone selling a BRAND NEW 2.5 that he'd bought for a project and not used, got it cheap enough to have it forged, and ACL race bearings fitted.
Old 23 September 2011, 09:00 PM
Geordie_Aaron
Scooby Regular

I thought i was having to do this a few weeks ago - thankfully i've not had to and learnt a lesson lol

Hope you get sorted - do get on http://nesf.forumotion.co.uk/ as mentioned by Phil, What colour is yours i need an 'as close' as possible car to mine for a decent picture with my new car :-)
I'm only in South Shields
Old 23 September 2011, 09:11 PM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you melted a piston.
Old 23 September 2011, 09:16 PM
mr terzo
Scooby Regular

Try andy kindon he has built loads of high power builds (600bhp+). He is based in Chester le street. I'd say he is one of the best in the north east. You'll find him on nesf. www.nesf.co.uk
Old 23 September 2011, 09:25 PM
Fragmau5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LegacySTi
Sounds like you melted a piston.
Yeah a friend of mine had really similar symptoms and he melted a piston, but I'm surprised if I've managed to melt a forged piston? (Version 4 STi with standard forged pistons).

I'll get on the website and see what I can get sorted. I'm still to do a compression test as I didn't get round to it today. I'm still trying to find a replacement version 4 STi bottom end at a decent price, but struggling, as I think the bottom end rebuild might cost a little more than I can afford right now.

I'm ringing around a few places who contacted me tomorrow for prices on rebuilds, fingers crossed and let's see how that goes.

Anyway, cheers for your help so far guys.
Old 23 September 2011, 09:52 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Fragmau5
Cheers for the replies guys. I've been on the phone to Darren at DLM this morning discussing possible options, and I think the most cost effective way would be to just buy a bottom end and have the whole thing replaced. Just need to find myself a suitable bottom end now!

Cracking idea, Toffee is selling a full 2006 spec c engine for £1600 in the forsale section , its a bargain for you as you would get a cracking block and could sell the heads and manifold off unless you fancy converting yours to avcs