ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

02 STi Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2011, 02:31 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 02 STi Spoiler

Guys I've just had my spoiler removed to repair boot lid rust where the spoiler meets. I'm picking the car up later and will have to refit.

What's the best thing to do when re-fitting it? I don't want it rusting again, nor do I want puddles of water in the boot
Old 15 September 2011, 07:44 AM
Markyscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Depends on if it's a genuine Subaru spoiler? My later on has small gaskets on every bolt and a rubber grommet for the wiring. It's designed to allow water to flow through underneath without leaking.

Rust often occurs when an aftermarket spoiler goes on. New holes are drilled and not painted properly. Your 02 Bug should have had a low WRX style spoiler. Three holes on the left for two bolts and a plastic clip, four on the right with the large hole for the third brake light wiring harness.

Later high level STi bootlids have 17 holes.

Hope the info helps.
Old 15 September 2011, 07:04 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Markyscoob
Depends on if it's a genuine Subaru spoiler? My later on has small gaskets on every bolt and a rubber grommet for the wiring. It's designed to allow water to flow through underneath without leaking.

Rust often occurs when an aftermarket spoiler goes on. New holes are drilled and not painted properly. Your 02 Bug should have had a low WRX style spoiler. Three holes on the left for two bolts and a plastic clip, four on the right with the large hole for the third brake light wiring harness.

Later high level STi bootlids have 17 holes.

Hope the info helps.
Thanks mate. It is the high level spoiler. I put all the grommets in around the bolts and used some rubberised tape on those that weren't 100% So far all around the bolts / holes I can see are watertight and when sticking my fingers into the boot lid cavity it all seems dry.

That said after a good hosing down I found water in the boot. That might have come from the water gathering in the boot shuts and spilling over.

I guess time will tell