Newbie with some questions?

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2011, 09:29 PM
Its_All_Over
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with some questions?

Firstly Hi,

Joined up recently as im looking to join the fold, after many years of modified VW's. So please excuse my lack of poor knowledge.

I could do with some advice over a car ive been to see, as im a little unsure. And thought you guys would have a greater knowledge of weather to walk away or not.

The car is a 2001 WRX completley standard (even got the double pipe exhaust lol) with 100k on the clock. Been for a drive it in and it drives great, no knocks, rattles, smoke etc and pulls through every gear.

There is three things that I noticed though...

1. The rear diff looks damp, its not dripping but looks like it been seeping? Is this an easy fix, costly or nothing i should worry about? Its not making any unusual noises

2. There is some oil on the front undertray, Ive had a tourch from above and its all clean as a whistle, ive checked around the gear box and again its clean. Ive had cars before with simular and its been the sump gasket or plug? But am unsure for Subaru? Again its not dripping out etc

3. When you select any gear it almost clicks in, there is a little resistance. This is different to any other ive drove (however the last one was hammered I think) The clutch feels strong and there is no slipping etc
Is this normal?

Overall the cars in good condition, only had 3 owners but there isnt much paperwork with the car so I have limited knowledge if the clutch has been done etc

Any advice would be great and apologies if this in the wrong section.

Cheers
Old 10 September 2011, 09:37 PM
RetroMk1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Its_All_Over
Firstly Hi,

Joined up recently as im looking to join the fold, after many years of modified VW's. So please excuse my lack of poor knowledge.

I could do with some advice over a car ive been to see, as im a little unsure. And thought you guys would have a greater knowledge of weather to walk away or not.

The car is a 2001 WRX completley standard (even got the double pipe exhaust lol) with 100k on the clock. Been for a drive it in and it drives great, no knocks, rattles, smoke etc and pulls through every gear.

There is three things that I noticed though...

1. The rear diff looks damp, its not dripping but looks like it been seeping? Is this an easy fix, costly or nothing i should worry about? Its not making any unusual noises

2. There is some oil on the front undertray, Ive had a tourch from above and its all clean as a whistle, ive checked around the gear box and again its clean. Ive had cars before with simular and its been the sump gasket or plug? But am unsure for Subaru? Again its not dripping out etc

3. When you select any gear it almost clicks in, there is a little resistance. This is different to any other ive drove (however the last one was hammered I think) The clutch feels strong and there is no slipping etc
Is this normal?

Overall the cars in good condition, only had 3 owners but there isnt much paperwork with the car so I have limited knowledge if the clutch has been done etc

Any advice would be great and apologies if this in the wrong section.

Cheers
Rear diff is probably oil from the last time it was serviced, you fill it up until it spills out.

Oil in the undertray could be a leak or again from a service or leaky plug like you say

Mine kind of clicks in to gear but without hearing or feeling it its hard to say if it could be an issue????
Old 10 September 2011, 09:41 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

I would take along someone who knows Subarus to give it a once over. Spending fifty quid to get an informed appraisal will be money well spent. The issues you have raised could be nothing to worry about but take no chances. There are plenty of good cars for sale so if in any doubt walk away.
Old 10 September 2011, 09:42 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

My gear change is notchy, but not problematic. Sounds ok, but best way to really know is to test drive a number of them.
Old 10 September 2011, 10:10 PM
Its_All_Over
Scooby Newbie

thanks for the replys, Ive drove a few but the last one was a couple of weeks ago and wasnt in the best condition to be honest.

The gear selection isnt an issue it goes in fine, I drove up in our Leon and that is sloppy to be fair lol So it may just be different.

I was more concerned about the rear diff and oil leak. I think Im going to ask if I can take the undertray off and have a look tomorrow.