Sponsored by:

changing a turbo 2000 manifold

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2011, 11:42 PM
timbo2000v
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing a turbo 2000 manifold

hi ive just made an account on scoobynet to get some advice on changing my exhaust manifold on my turbo2000 . basically any tips on how to make it as easy as possible to get it out myself. ive got the car currently on ramps and on axle stands. ive taken out the bottom 6 bolts now ive got to try and tackle the uplet pipe to the turbo. thats where i hope someone on here can advice me on getting the unbolted from the turbo and if ive got to take any parts out in the engine bay?

would really appreciate advice to a newcomer )

tim.
Old 01 September 2011, 11:57 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

If you actually need to take the up-pipe off, be prepared for a lot more dismantling of other bits, along with some serious knuckle skinning and general cursing and frustation. To get to its turbo-end bolts, you'll need the down-pipe, intercooler and air-box off first, and the nuts themselves have a nasty habit of chipping (as opposed to rounding off - the heat of the exhaust gases makes them very brittle over time).

If you don't need the up-pipe off, just separate it from the manifold at the bottom end, where it's held on with 2 bolts.
Old 02 September 2011, 12:29 AM
timbo2000v
Scooby Newbie

it looks like im going to have to take the parts you mentioned above off. the problem ive got is that the manifold has cracked past the 4-1 branch so it all needs to come out. it does look like a time consuming job. but the quote ive been getting from the local garages makes me wanna at least have a crack myself.

personally how long do you think it would take if the bolts wernt to difficult to shift. looks like il me buying a few tins of releasing fluid :/

thanks for the reply though mate. means alot.

Last edited by timbo2000v; 02 September 2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old 02 September 2011, 07:29 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Time taken depends up to a point on whether you're running a stock air-box, stock inter-cooler, stock downpipe, how quick you work, and whether any of those parts have been off the car recently, but anything between an hour and a whole afternoon.
If your downpipe is still stock for example, the two bolts at the rear to the center pipe will probably be rusted to hell and more than likely shear off under high enough torque rather than actually unbolt.

Other than that, downpipe is 5 bolts at the top, 14mm head, pretty awkward to access, and likely to chip. Don't forget the O2 sensor.
Turbo heat-shield (if you've got one) is 6 or so bolts, 10mm head, many of them also likely to be seized and shear when coming off.
Air-box - depends on your model year, bolts won't be so horrid to get off.
Up-pipe - 3 upward facing bolts at the front of the turbo, 2 backward facing at the back of the turbo, none of them very easy to access, and all very likely to chip. To shift mine I ended up buying a set of "bolt grip nut remover" sockets made by Irwin, after a combination of standard impact sockets and a Dremel totally failed to do the job.

If you haven't stocked up already, you'll probably want to get yourself a few spare M10x12.5 (fine-pitch) flanged nuts (for up-pipe, down-pipe, manifolds), maybe a couple of spare M10x37mm manifold studs (top of up-pipe), and some standard-pitch M10 bolts, nuts and washers of the right length for the back of the down-pipe, for when you have to put it all back on.
I used a seller called 'clarik engineering supplies' on Ebay for the studs and nuts, packs of 5, 10, or 50 (you'd be shocked at how much Subaru will charge for a single nut which does the identical same job, and which they probably won't have in stock for 2 weeks anyway).

Good luck with it
Old 02 September 2011, 11:17 AM
timbo2000v
Scooby Newbie

thanks for the detailed reply , im going to crack on with it first thing tomorrow morning.

basically i bought the car with standard intercooler , standard down pipe but it has now airbox as its been replaced with a k&n filter and pipe. il definatly be stocking up on some new nuts and washers. even if i dont chip them off there probably gonna be no good to go back on. going to also invest in the irwin remover set aswell.

quite looking forward to the challenge. just hope the next time im on here its all smiles
thanks for the advice, a few garages have tried to tell me whats what, but im glad i came to people with first hand experience. thanks again tim.