Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Classic to newage Sti - good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2011, 10:15 PM
ade_sti
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Classic to newage Sti - good idea?

I have a UK turbo that i have owned for 6 years 80k on it. Following engine / suspension mods:-

VF28, remap, ported headers, exhaust, helix cutch / flywheel, sti 8 top mount. running 330 bhp / 328 torque

BC coilovers, sti rol bars, anti lift kit, polly bushes all round, alloy drop links.

looking to change to newage 05 plate sti with following mods:-
Prodive wheels, uprated exhaust / remap - same power as mine 330bhp.
Suspension standard.

Have not driven a newage since sold mine 6 years ago. Will car be as quick as classic, handles as good, as much fun. Is it a good move or a waste or money, just to get newer car? Thanks
Old 21 August 2011, 10:24 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No
yes, but not as much fun

no, you'll regret it

Old 21 August 2011, 10:26 PM
ade_sti
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

So i should keep my classic? even though they getting on a bit now?
Old 21 August 2011, 10:32 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Get out there and try one mate. I'm sure a std uk sti is probably slow as they're circa 265bhp? But something like a wr1 or newage with 330bhp is ok.

Personally I'd try and find a JDM 2.0 sti.

I've had various classics inc similar spec uk car to yours also an sti type r with 2.5 and 20g and I moved on to newage. I've got a bugeye sti JDM and it's impressive IMO. I haven't even felt the overwhelming need to hike the power either, it pulls like a train for a stock car.
Old 21 August 2011, 10:33 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 05 didnt feel as planted on the road with the standard suspension compared to the classic with all the white line gear. ( thats now been sorted )

The six speed box on the 05 has taken a bit getting used to for me as its the first time i have had one. Speed wise i have now had the 05 mapped up 355 bhp so it feels much like my classic did with 300 odd.
Old 22 August 2011, 12:58 AM
chris84
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went the other way, Newage STI to Classic P1 and wouldn't go back. Stock ride is far better in a classic than a newage. I think the classic is more of a drivers car whereas the newage is good if you want a fast car that's still comfortable.
Old 22 August 2011, 07:13 AM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like both and have both
But prefer the newer sti
I've put alot of money in the handling though, and it neutral but it's a heavy car
So you'll need to up the power but that's the beauty of it
You can easily up the power
Old 22 August 2011, 07:17 AM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

But then again the old one is totally standard but mapped by af achieving 315 hp and feels very fast point to point
And ride position in lower and better
Old 22 August 2011, 09:39 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends which model you go for, if you go for say an MY03 uk STI which is bog standard then your going to feel disappointed, if you go for an MY05 UK car then still disappointed with the power but better handilng, if you go for anything jdm from 2003 with a-dccd then your just going to be smiling all the time but an MY05 onward JDM would be the choice car to get even though they dont have the burble

Tony
Old 22 August 2011, 10:37 AM
Dazza9t9
Scooby Regular

I'm in the same boat, I have a classic and I am considering changing to a newage sti! I am weighing up the pros and cons.
Old 22 August 2011, 10:40 AM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

If daily driver new age sti no doubt.

If weekend car classic is nice.
Old 22 August 2011, 04:12 PM
the hamster
BANNED

we have a classic and bug eye here.

My classic is 337bhp and puts a smile on my face. Its a drivers car and fun to drive.

The bug is modified with 18's, coilovers, decat system, panel filter etc and feels better built than the classic but its more of an all rounder like other lads say. We're getting it mapped on Thursday to give it a bit more fizz but its definately not as "raw" as a 300+ classic.
Old 22 August 2011, 04:50 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the hamster
we have a classic and bug eye here.

My classic is 337bhp and puts a smile on my face. Its a drivers car and fun to drive.

The bug is modified with 18's, coilovers, decat system, panel filter etc and feels better built than the classic but its more of an all rounder like other lads say. We're getting it mapped on Thursday to give it a bit more fizz but its definately not as "unrefined" as a 300+ classic.
EFA

Tony
Old 22 August 2011, 08:18 PM
Steve T
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I,ve gone from a MY 00 UK classic (Vf35 etc) which I owned for 5 years and was a great car, to a MY 05 Jdm Sti. Instant spool and a great drive although no exhaust burble. I,d recommend the newage, especially in Jdm form. I,ve had 5 classics and in my opinion the newage is the best all rounder. Steve.
Old 22 August 2011, 09:03 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First Love - Maroon/red std UK turbo 2000

2nd up:
MY54 UK STi PPP 305bhp. Bought brand new. First time I drove it I got out shaking, and promptly put down a deposit

3rd:
V-Ltd STi

Next up:
V3 Type R STi

V3 STi Wagon
Presently still owned after 4 years

Next weekend car:
04 JDM STi Andy Forrest mapped 370/360 lots of handling goodies

Mad thought at this satge - give up Subarus altogether

This car was sold after 1 month's ownership... and replaced with this which is my current weekend goto:

97 V-Ltd Type R. New Age short motor, 331BHP lots of suspension goodies

Phew - it's shocking to me when all laid out, and I think I've still missed one or two

So, why sell the Tony Burns best scooby of all, the mighty JDM, indeed why sell any of the new age cars, and why end up with a Type R (this one really is for keeps)?

Put simply the new age cars, and the JDM being the epitome, for all their sheer engineering refinement and the JDM's magical brilliance, just does everything too well, leaving little or nothing for the driver to do

Of all the Scooby's owned the V3 Type R was no doubt hugely the most fun and the reason I've gone back to one, and indeed kept the classic wagon. The Type R (and my wagon) is a ball, and a smile maker every time. The new age car smiles were very short lived. They stayed parked up in the garage not being used. I get up at 5-30 Sunday mornings to go out in the Type R.

Overall you just wont have as much fun in a new age car on UK B-roads

Having said all that, a new age STi wagon would be good as an all rounder, but the Type R stays

HTH's

Last edited by bonesetter; 23 August 2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 22 August 2011, 10:50 PM
adam knight
Scooby Regular

i went from owning import wrx to a type r sti then to a jdm newage sti, after writing off what was my pride and joy owing me silly money, i went back to a classic and i can honestly say that the drive and feel is so different, i prefer the drive of a classic hands down, it wasnt through choice i got another classic but in a way im verry happy with the choice.
Old 22 August 2011, 10:53 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Will be slower if same power as the classic ... weight of classic is 1250kg & the newage is almost 1500kg.

TX.
Old 22 August 2011, 10:55 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Classic with 330 will nuke a newage sti with same performance, so u will need to up the newage's power a bit otherwise you WILL feel disappointed. But the newages grip is in a different league. Standard handling as with all standard scoobs needs improving, but it is excellent in the newage out of the box. I had 2 classics (1 had 260 1 had 360) before my newage sti which has 330, I wouldnt go back unless the classic was special i.e 450bhp+
Old 22 August 2011, 11:30 PM
Micheru
Scooby Regular

I'm gathering from this thread that it's very much personal preference and driving style. I have a classic sti wagon at the moment and probably looking to change for a classic or new age sometime early next year. Always thought the new age were better for some reason but this thread has opened my eyes! Would love a type-r or jdm sti v5 or v6, as mines '95 pre-facelift. Great info guys!
Old 23 August 2011, 10:58 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Well im totally the opposite to Bonesetter, ive a v5 sti type R and an MY03 Spec C, the one that brings me the most smiles is the Spec C (take note that all the JDM's from 2005 drive very similar, just the spec c is lighter).

I mean ive owned 2 classics and 2 new age (abeit the newage were/are both Spec C's), an MY00 classic from new which was good, not outstanding, had plenty of grip, vague steering at times, needed more performance (eventually had the PPP fitted back in 2001 which improved things ) the 17 inch prodrive pd7's, uprated brakes etc, and yes, it was fun I think I clocked up around 40k miles before selling her for the Spec C, yet even having both the Type R and Spec C (ok the type R is off the road at the moment), its still not great.
Dont get me wrong, back in 1999 when it came out it was a very very good car, some people call it "raw", no its not raw, raw is an ariel atom, its just unrefined, it feels unfinished, it just doesnt hit the spot, though its not bad it still has the fast rack steering (only the limiteds/STI RA's had the quick rack standard upto 1999), and its not that precise.
Yes the dccd is fun but most of the time you dont touch it, if its wet you may move it forward a couple of notches, but thats it, it sounds good nice burble, drives and pulls well, yet its not a drivers car, though it may have once been, its outdated (even the Spec C is pushing its sell by date, but its still more fun than any classic )

The things that make people think classics are "raw" are these:-
It feels quick
It takes ALOT of concentration to drive (which tires you out)
It has alot of grip, it doesnt have the best handling (people get these 2 mixed up or think grip=handling, it doesnt).
The rattles make you know its not well built, a must in a "raw" car
The brakes suck, another thing "raw" cars must have

You want an enviroment that you sit in thats nice, comfortable (ish), be able to go out for a blast, come back in, have a cuppa, say "damn it im off out again for another blast", pop back to the petrol station and off you go, you cant in a classic, especially after you have prised your fingers off the steering wheel

If you want cheap fun (to buy, not to run ) then get a classic, they are still good cars, if you want out and out fun, get a new age JDM (MY05 onwards) though the MY03-04 cars are still very good

Bonesetter, was that 2003 v-limited one that Pete from Prosport imported?

Tony
Old 23 August 2011, 11:23 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Or get a well modded classic that will blow your Spec C in to last week the OP is talking about a 330hp classic or 330hp newage, not standard vs standard Tony

I've owned both too before you start

TX.
Old 23 August 2011, 01:27 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

I was staying with a 340bhp classic in a 316bhp Spec C, does that mean the classic driver couldnt drive very well?

Tony
Old 23 August 2011, 01:45 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Think about when you come to sell on too mate
Jdm s are fine but most companies and px won't touch them ( fact)
Immy, litch excluded
Old 23 August 2011, 01:51 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
I was staying with a 340bhp classic in a 316bhp Spec C, does that mean the classic driver couldnt drive very well?

Tony
The laws of physics suggest that is not possible Tony - shock news, lighter car with more power not quite as fast as heavier car with less power

TX.

Edit - my Spec C as standard was RR'd at 294hp ... was yours modded to get 316

Last edited by Terminator X; 23 August 2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old 23 August 2011, 02:28 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Nope, standard JDM map and an STI panel filter
Oh and the laws of physics state aerodynamics, gearing and torque also play a part in it

Tony
Old 23 August 2011, 04:48 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The numbers are lying or he cant drive, my04 with 360 is not a patch on my type r with 330.
Old 23 August 2011, 05:50 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Nope, standard JDM map and an STI panel filter
Oh and the laws of physics state aerodynamics, gearing and torque also play a part in it

Tony
He wasn't trying! its not rocket science, a car that is circa 200kilos lighter with similar power WILL perform better, regardless of aerodynamics n torque. Unless the classic had good bhp but low torque, i.e shagged
Old 23 August 2011, 05:54 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I went from a 330bhp Classic to a Newage STI last year. Classic wins hands down (enless you're getting old and want a bit more comfort, like i did)
Old 23 August 2011, 07:38 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Newage everytime. This is after owning 4 classics.
Old 23 August 2011, 09:06 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

I have never owned a classic but must say my05 jdm is superb just fit panel filter and exhaust and have a remap and an easy 340bhp with no noticeable lag, it doesn't even feel quick to drive it does the Job that well, but look at the speedo and you realise you are in licence losing territory. Try one and make your own mind up, maybe it's my age but If by a raw car you mean it feels quick and is more noisy and a handful to drive I will stick with my newage but jdm only for me

Quick Reply: Classic to newage Sti - good idea?