Headlights on a classic

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2011, 08:57 PM
[JP]
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights on a classic

quick question gents....
I've only had my first scoob over a week or so, so I'm still trying to find my way round it...

how do the headlights usually work on a classic?
what I mean is, when you turn main beam on, where is it? is it on the actual headlight or on the round ones that are in the bumper?
or if does it turn on on both? headlight and round ones?

I'm asking this because mine has had a HID 6000k conversion, which works brilliantly and really clear at night...
but drove it this evening and when turning main beam on, there wasnt much difference other than more light to both sides?

So is this a case that the main beam, where the round lights would have been connected, is now wired to the, what i think it is, or should be, the fog lights?

I havent checked it with the car stoped, just drove today for the first time in the evening.....

this is the front of mine

Cheers
Old 18 August 2011, 09:03 PM
[JP]
Scooby Regular

right.. I should have written this after checking it really...

just been out to check, when I turn the main beam on there's definately a change on the brightness in the main headlight, the fogs dont come on, but when driving the only difference was more light to the sides...nothing more further down the road..

I've also just found out my front or rear fogs dont work..... the light comes on on the buttons but nothing, need to check the bulbs for starters....
Old 18 August 2011, 09:22 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

You've got front fog covers on buddy....
Old 18 August 2011, 09:34 PM
[JP]
Scooby Regular

so whats the smaller lights next to the front covers?

sorry for my ignorance, i thought the round lights (which have been replaced by a cover) were main beam/driving lights, didnt think they were fogs.. thought the fogs were the smaller lights next to the covers..

I've googled to try and find what's the normal setup, but no luck... so thought someone here could tell me

cheers
Old 18 August 2011, 09:41 PM
Shaks-STI
Scooby Regular

thats indicators
Old 18 August 2011, 09:42 PM
Darc174
Scooby Regular

They ate your indicators mate,

Your main headlight has the main/ full beam

And the corners are your side lights

Darc
Old 18 August 2011, 09:47 PM
[JP]
Scooby Regular

cheers gents!

honest, im not as thick as i sound with this post! lol

i thought the corners were the indicators!!

So, main headlight does dipped and main beam, corners are indicators, smaller lights below are indicators and where the covers are should be the round fogs!

thanks!
Old 18 August 2011, 10:12 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by [JP]
honest, im as thick as a post! lol

So, main headlight does dipped and main beam, corners are indicators, smaller lights below are indicators and where the covers are should be the round fogs!

Yup.
Old 18 August 2011, 10:16 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by [JP]

thanks!
No, corners are sidelights.

You probably dont notice too much more light on main beam, as Hi and Lo HID's are not great on both.
Old 18 August 2011, 10:51 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Small lights at bottom are indicators.
Lights at side (next to headlight) are side lights.
Main and dip are one bulb in your headlight.
Fog lights go where the covers are.
Old 19 August 2011, 09:51 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

As for rear fog, afaik, it doesn't work unless the lights are switched on in the car, and THEY don't work unless ignition is on.

Beware of the little switch on top of the steering column, it puts sidelights on for parking. Knock it and they will be on all the time: one flat battery

While I'm on the subject, ALSO beware of the little lever on the boot catch on the bootlid. IT decides whether the boot will open from inside the car and on the key, or just on the key.

HID's on an H4 bulb are pretty poor, tbh, Scoob lights aren't the best from the go, but the H4 is what's called a b@stard contraption, since it tries to do both the jobs of the H4 bulb, but does neither very well. Since dip beam is checked for MoT, that one is usually at least decent, but you tend to lose main beam.......as you have found.

Last edited by Kieran_Burns; 19 August 2011 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Remove troll comments
Old 19 August 2011, 10:15 AM
[JP]
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replys gents!

alcazar, that's a bit ****.... and apparently, from what i've found out you were right!
main beam is pretty crap, might as well not even bother to use it...but must say dipped is quite good..

Just another question....
I noticed inside, on the dash, there's a button that is similar to the one on other cars, that is used to adjust the headlights up or down... but mine doesnt work.

Did the subaru had such button? to adjust the headlights? or is this something else

Last edited by [JP]; 19 August 2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 19 August 2011, 10:20 AM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

It's because you have an HID conversion. I wouldn't be surprised if they disabled that feature when they installed it.
Old 19 August 2011, 10:31 AM
[JP]
Scooby Regular

so that function was available as standard then...

wonder why they would disable it though? i thought the adjust is done by moving the whole headlight cluster and not the actual bulb?

mmm.... need to investigate it and trace some of the wiring
Old 19 August 2011, 10:50 AM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

With the headlight adjuster (round **** with numbers around it) normally when the headlights are changed they are disconnected
I have just bought and fitted black crystals (like yours in pic) but I couldn't get the adjustment bar out of the crystals so that I could fit the electric motors for the **** in car (and **** in car wasn't a reference to myself ) lol

So you will probably find that there are no motors on the back of your head lights, but I may be wrong

Last edited by EOEUMC; 19 August 2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 19 August 2011, 01:03 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

You have black crystal headlights. Unless it was a DIY job on some UK lights, you will only have manual adjusters. The black crystals they sell on ebay are Depo, and again, only manual adjust.
Old 19 August 2011, 01:04 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

As above, could be thast the electrical adjusters are missing or disconnected. I just happen to have a pair off a 98 car, complete with all screws/bolts changed for stainless, make me an offer.......

Also, have a look here: https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-...-lamp-kit.html, post number 26, for some shots of my classic headlights.........and that was BEFORE I put HID projectors in them. https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-a...mpler-way.html

The main beams are supplemented by a pair of driving lights, mounted where the foglights would be on yours, under those covers. Mine are HID Hella 1000FF, difficult, but not impossible to get now, but others are available.....
Old 19 August 2011, 02:58 PM
[JP]
Scooby Regular

I read your thread yesterday, brilliant write up, I like to see loads of pics and I actually do the same when working on my land rover, take pics of everything and even setup a gopro cam so then I can do How-to's

I'll have a look at my headlights to see what exactly I have there and then I'll get in touch with you if I need the bits you have..

do you have a pic of what you have? so I know what i should be looking for?

cheers
Old 19 August 2011, 04:45 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Pics are on that thread, if you are on about HID projectors. They are mounted in classic crystal electrically levelled lights, cost me £60 the pair, mine had the pre-crystal ones

Then the HID projectors, shrouds, ballasts, bulbs and associated electrics came from www.theretrofitsource.com, a mine of info.

The driving lights were bought as a kit from Scoobysports, now defunct, the lamp units are available from various places, including the USA, and HID kits available to fit, dunx on here has a set done that way.

The Scoobysports brackets were VERY simple and held the lights securely with no chance of vibration, which larger lamps can suffer from. Basically alloy plates, through which the HID extension passed, then held in place with four stainless self tappers.

Subaru themselves did a kit for the Hella 1000FF units.
Old 19 August 2011, 08:24 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

http://www.123spareparts.co.uk/cgi-b...ls=ERSA-534875

These may look expensive, but add a cheap HID H1 kit and you get the best lights I've ever owned, and I've been through a load in the past 35 years !

HTH

dunx

P.S. These are just relayed into my main-beam, and replace the useless fog lights...
Old 19 August 2011, 08:45 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Yep, those are they, pretty impressive with a 55W halogen bulb, amazing with a 100/130W halogen and awesome with an HID kit
Old 19 August 2011, 11:56 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Are those Hella's plastic bodied? If they are, I'd consider getting them over my PIAA 80XT's. For a start they are a hell of a lot cheaper, look nicer and if they are plastic bodied, wont corrode like the 80XT's. Whats the cover like that comes with it? Just whire with HELLA on it?
Old 20 August 2011, 01:12 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

No covers as standard, plastic shell, easy to drill for the HID globe, which is usually longer than a H1 bulb.

HTH

dunx

P.S. Still need some night-time shots of these in action. Jeff found some clear covers for ours...
Old 20 August 2011, 01:26 AM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Don`t know if any help now but here you go.

Old 20 August 2011, 09:14 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joey_turbo
Are those Hella's plastic bodied? If they are, I'd consider getting them over my PIAA 80XT's. For a start they are a hell of a lot cheaper, look nicer and if they are plastic bodied, wont corrode like the 80XT's. Whats the cover like that comes with it? Just whire with HELLA on it?
Yes, plastic bodied, unsure about the lens, but one thing I DO know is that the reflectors don't corrode. Mine have been on the car eleven years with no problems.

When I bought mine Scoobysports sold clear plastic covers which were just like a bowl, and fit tightly onto the lens outer, held in place by friction. They have never fallen off. I recently got some more clear ones from Susquehanna Motorsports in the USA, cheap, but we got hit with customs duty on them, PLUS an extra charge before DHL would deliver them to us, THEY reckoned the postage I paid only covered getting them to the UK