Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Type RA - How hard is it?

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2001, 12:22 AM
djd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But surley, all of our roads are in perfect condition smooth, no potholes and gravel free
(That’s what we pay road tax for is it not) Having such good quality roads allows us to enjoy the slightly firmer ride of the RA.
Although I have been to the dentist more frequently.

I have adjusted mine but it doesn’t make much difference.

Does road tax include regular wheel alignment and balancing?

Cheers
Djd
94RA

Old 31 March 2001, 08:55 AM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Wink

Russ,

The fact you're running 18's doesn't help

I noticed when changing to 18's that on rough roads and wet and rough roads the car is a bit more skittish under full power but not uncomfortably so and you rapidly get used to it. Mine is on Prodrive WR suspension which you should be able to get from a dealer without too much difficulty. Not sure about the P1 setup but the wr kit is excellent and handles the 18's very well. If you like I'll take you out in mine sometime or at the forthcoming Surrey meet so you can see what you think, in my opinion and most of those who have been in it the ride is excellent considering the suspension and profile tyres and the handling is pretty awesome too.

I know EVO magazine used to say that the STi's were too stiffly sprung for uk roads, saying this I remember seeing a glowing write up for an STi5 Type R which I think has the same set-up as yours (only it was on 16's). The answer is really to try a car with different (Leda) suspension and 18's and one with Prodrive suspension and see what you think back to back with yours.

Nito
Old 31 March 2001, 09:52 AM
RussP
Scooby Regular

Hi Nito

I think you're probably right about the 18's... but they look the dogs, and there's no going back now!

Does the RA have a firmer set up than the regular STi?

Prodrive spent ages on the set up for the P1, and it seems to make sense to use their experience (they seem to know a fair bit about Imprezas ) In every other area bar the ride/wet weather/bumpy road peformance i prefer the Sti over the P1, but i think this could be the one area i can improve the car in.

I'll definitely take you up on the offer of a ride in your motor, it'll be interesting to compare them!

Thanks

Russ

Old 31 March 2001, 11:02 AM
RussP
Scooby Regular

Question

Sorry if this has already been done to death but...

I've had my Version 5 Type RA Ltd. for a year now an definitely think it can be improved. Altho i can live with the choppy ride, it's definitely too hard for average UK A & B roads - particulalry in the wet it skips over bumps and loses grip - my friends "regular" Sti is much more composed and a UK car seems easier and more controllable.

So!

What's the answer? I doubt i'm the first to find this a problem - Leda struts seem abvious but would leave the hard springs in place. Anyone with a Type R/RA care to comment?

Or, can i wander into the local dealers and buy a P1 setup? (blinding idea huh?) - mwould it fit straight on?

Priority is performance and grip - less so ride quality.

What do i do?

Cheers

Rus
Old 31 March 2001, 11:57 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Russ

You knew the answer before you posted

<B>LEDA!</B>

Allows <I>you</I> to set the ride quality & it can come with softer springs if you've got a sore bum!