Sponsored by:

Newbie greetings, my vision for my car and advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2011, 01:23 AM
Juan-STI
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie greetings, my vision for my car and advice needed

Hi to everyone on the forum, I purchased my first Subaru Impreza, its a bog standard 2003 UK STi. Having come from owning VDubs all my life I thought my G60 and Vr6 had some kick...but wow, my new car is rapid!!! (for me anyway).

I used to find Subaru's to be rather chavy and quiet honestly ugly, however having bought one I understand why the people who own them love them. However I still find the car to be rather ugly but I have plans to make it exactly how I want it. I was really inspired by some of the North American Subaru's and after trawling through the gallery section of NASIOC I know exactly what look I want my car to have.

I really am not a fan of spoilers so the big ironing board needs to go asap. I took off the spoiler today to find lots of holes remaining. I'm going totally spoilerless and want a carbon fibre look to the wingless boot-lid.

These I think are my options

1) Fill holes and wrap with carbon vinyl
2) Buy a carbon bootlid (however I have found that they simply fibre glass wrapped anyway)
3) Buy another bootlid without spoiler in any colour cheap, fill holes and wrap with carbon vinyl and keep my original boot lid and spoiler if I want to return to standard.

I'm thinking of going for option 3, there are several blob sti bootlids without spoilers for sale on ebay and I have found a place near me who will wrap the bootlid failry cheaply in a carbon effect vinyl (much cheaper than spray paint or buying a carbon fibre job). However I need to know how easy it is to swap over the bootlids and locks etc? Has anyone done this before? I'm also thinking of just filling all lock holes and spoiler holes so its totally smoothed and then wrap with the black carbon vinyl.

I love this car and want to eventually go for something like this.

Old 08 August 2011, 01:46 AM
Chrish_WRX
Scooby Regular

I am a big fan of the spoilerless look........but I prefer the stereotypical Big Spoilers...

however...I would go down the route of getting your original holes filled in and then cover it.. be cheaper than buying a second boot lid and wrapping it. means you havent got the hassle of:

a) storing the original boot lid until you decide what to do with it
b) picking the new one up (because I am lazy lol)

from what I remeber it is not difficult to change the boot lids over but you will need at least 2 of you to do it if thats the route you are taking

Do you still have the sti spoiler and if so are you selling it and what colour is it?

Last edited by Chrish_WRX; 08 August 2011 at 01:48 AM.
Old 08 August 2011, 09:38 AM
morpheus1870
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to SN mate, I also was planning on going spoilerless too, however I know its not to every ones taste and may effect re-sale as most people looking for an STI would naturally want one which has the trade mark STI spoiler.

I wouldn't personally modify the original boot lid unless its totally reversible i.e. the holes are temporarily filled rather than welded and then the lid is wrapped. Then when you decide to sell on simply remove the wrap, unplug the holes and fit the spoiler back on.

You just need to make sure that you plug the holes in a way that the bootlid is flush, welding would be the more permanent route however I'm not sure how well the weld spots would take to being re-drilled in the future to fit the oem spoiler back on.

Personally I wouldn't sell the oem spoiler, you may want to put it back on at some point. What colour is the car btw?
Old 08 August 2011, 09:53 AM
Shaks-STI
Scooby Regular

welcome along mate get some pictures up
Old 08 August 2011, 05:35 PM
Juan-STI
Scooby Newbie

Yes will be taking some later on my brother has borrowed my good camera.

Do you know where i can get some plugs for the holes?
Old 08 August 2011, 05:47 PM
Ryan@Indigo-GT
Former Sponsor

Welcome to Scoobynet mate, they're awesome cars to own, they can be an absolutely pain in the **** at times but still truly awesome!