Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FAO: WRX owners - why not an STi?

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2011, 07:12 PM
morpheus1870
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FAO: WRX owners - why not an STi?

Was wondering what reasons you guys had for purchasing your WRX over an STi?

Personally I chose the WRX because of the particular mods carried out by the previous owner, the quality of the car and the fact it was cheaper to buy than an Sti.
Old 26 July 2011, 07:14 PM
Scooby Arthur
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couldnt find a Hawkeye STi wagon!
Old 26 July 2011, 07:15 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Most buy one, then mess with it, then the gearbox fails and they get angry...

LoL

dunx
Old 26 July 2011, 07:16 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

When i bought my WRX (7 years ago) they were about £3k cheaper than STI's.
Old 26 July 2011, 07:17 PM
Davey L
Scooby Regular

I was after an impreza and at the time i was looking STI's were way more expensive (Blobeye). So i figured get a WRX for a couple of years, don't bend it and insuring an STI will be cheaper by then as well. If i could have found a nice STI at a decent price i would have been tempted though. If all goes to plan early next year i'll have the STI as well...
Old 26 July 2011, 07:20 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Ditto Arthur; no blop STI wagon
Old 26 July 2011, 07:30 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

When I had my wrx I wanted an sti but couldn't stretch to a blob so had wrx, 3 years later I sold it and bought a jdm sti blob but I can't knock my wrx it was a superb car.
Old 26 July 2011, 07:35 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

I didn't really know much about scoobs wjen I got mine, nor did I know that I would want 500bhp either !! My wrx was a nice clean low mileage, the only sti available to me had 70k on the clock so I went with the wrx, done too much to it now to get rid of it tho
Old 26 July 2011, 07:40 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IainMilford
I didn't really know much about scoobs wjen I got mine, nor did I know that I would want 500bhp either !! My wrx was a nice clean low mileage, the only sti available to me had 70k on the clock so I went with the wrx, done too much to it now to get rid of it tho
+1

As first time buyer we're bought wagon due has been wagon and this time we don't know absolutely nothing about the difference between STi and WRX,yes one difference put me off price tag for STi wagon bugeye £9k and JDM WRX has cost half of this,plus cheaper insurance.

Jura
Old 26 July 2011, 07:43 PM
yorvik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Arthur
+1

Don`t want to look like a wannabe Petter Solberg,no room for the dogs,too harsh for my aged body and I have enough trouble remembering I have 5 gears so 6 is a no no!
mik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Arthur
+2

Last edited by mik; 26 July 2011 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Yorvik beat me to +1
Deano1565
Scooby Regular

Didn't really know the difference when I bought ours! Had a pocket full of cash and wanted a "Scooby" Bought it and loved it ever since! I will however be looking at a STI first when the time comes for a new toy.
Old 26 July 2011, 07:48 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

I bought my bug WRX as I wanted a new car (never had one of my own and as I was 42 at the time I thought I'd treat myself) and it was a shed load cheaper than the STi.

I never test drove one.......just got out my switch card at Well Lane LOL

Shaun
Old 26 July 2011, 07:49 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Didn't want a loan, £5k difference in price between WRX and STI when I bought mine.
Didn't like the gold alloys, big spoiler, blue interior or hard ride.
Didn't want any more than 300ish bhp or to track it.
WRX PPP ticked all the boxes for me, my previous WRX PPP was a fantastic car.
In my case, I would have been paying for STI bits I would never use to their full potential.
I have had the car over 5 years, modded it to 312bhp, brake and suspension mods which have cost less than £5k.
Had I bought an STI I would have to mod it, so it would have cost even more in the long run.
If only JDM STIs had 3x3 point rear seatbelts.........
Old 26 July 2011, 07:56 PM
Steve T
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I,ve had 5 Scoobs, import Wrx,s, Sti,s and Uk 2000 turbo,s. All great cars. I bought my wrx,s because they were less money, but I spent a lot of money upgrading my Uk turbo to 340 bhp. If you dont want or need 300 bhp + I,d recommend a wrx to anyone, but if you want more than 300 you,re better off starting with a Sti as they have a stronger drivetrain and would cost less to modify. My personal opinion is that the wrx is a better car for daily use. I now own a MY 05 Jdm Sti which I think is in a different league altogether, a nice drive and plenty of power. Best of both worlds . Steve.
Old 26 July 2011, 07:57 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Wanted a WRX, so I bought one.

But seeing as I bought one to "do up" I took a STI fully forged semi closed deck (early type with side feed injectors and inlet), a TY754 JDM box (can`t stretch to the 6-speed), with STI seats and lights lol.

But when the work situation picks up from nothing I`ll get the engine looked over to see whats what (sure I have solid lifters, as its VERY rattly) then get the car mapped with a few choice mods back up to 376bhp that the engine previously was mapped to. And then see what breaks first lol.

But I LOVE the early Impreza`s and there`s not a great deal of difference, but my all time favourite is the 22b followed by the Type R, better spec the better.
Old 26 July 2011, 07:58 PM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

I was after a practical yet quickish small estate to cart the dogs round in - wasn't after a Impreza especially. I was more looking at a quick Legacy. The Bug Wagon fitted the bill. BUT there should have been a section in the purchase contract that warned you about the inevitable desire to mod the **** of it (which I would have done if it had been an Sti or WRX). It's the only 'daily' car I've owned for more than 1 year (had it 5 years now). Not tempted by an STi as I know my car and I know it's been treated well and fully serviced etc. Plus the insurance is high now - what would it be with an STi??
Old 26 July 2011, 08:02 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
Most buy one, then mess with it, then the gearbox fails and they get angry...

LoL

dunx
That was me! Just got the wallet out and thought "for the love of Scoob"!

Tobe fair I didn't know much about Scoobs when I bought it. Test drove it, not quite as quick as I expected, so I ended up modding it. Gearbox went a year later (was only 301bhp so I was unlucky). Would have been as well to get an STi, but I had fun nonetheless!

Last edited by andythejock01wrx; 26 July 2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 26 July 2011, 08:02 PM
morpheus1870
Scooby Regular

My first 04 impreza was a well modified wrx and had all the top bits (AP 6 pots etc) and was a dream to drive. I then ended up getting a blob 05 sti again modified from a fellow sn member. After selling that i got myself an evo 6 but had to come back as I always wanted a hawk eye (they look the best inmo). Would love an Sti but it's out of my price range due to insurance and fuel costs plus its only going to be a weekend car (can't justify the extra expense) having found a wrx that has all the performance of the STi but half the price and its a gorgeous Hawk, the decision to go back to a wrx was a no brainer.
Old 26 July 2011, 08:04 PM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

Was a no brainer, had to WRX over STi simply because of cost (I wanted a new car as I do a lot of mileage, no point in buying a 100k car when im doing 30k in it a year)

WRX (ex-demo) £17k
STi (new) £32,000

Mods: VF43 from ScoobyClinic, Rear-Carbon fibre spoiler, Mudflaps, Hatch STi seats (all), Kenwood 4028BT Double Din Media Player, Eibach Lowering Springs, HKS III, Strut bar, Whiteline ARBs, Team Dynamics Monzas, Custom backbox from subarubits.co.uk, Full Decat from Scoobyclinic, STi Front Brembo's, STi TMIC, Forged Engine, EcuTek remapped to 312hp, 365lb ft, might be a bit more but I cant remember.

Cost: Now that would be telling, but its nearly 10k STILL cheaper than the STi.

Am waiting to save up and uprate my gearbox and kindly get ScoobyClinic to shove a SC46 or 53 on there and remap once more. I'd like around the 480 mark but its going to cost me another 5k all-in so it remains a daily-driven car thats bullet proof and will last me.

After that, coilovers and god knows what.

It kills me to think of all the holidays and goodies I could have bought myself instead of spending on the scoob. ****, she's worth it!
Old 26 July 2011, 08:08 PM
GezP
Scooby Regular

I could afford a brand (virtually) new hawkeye WRX, not STI and I wanted a car that I was gonna keep for a long time. Wanted a perfectly clean scoob so I knew exactly that nothing was done and I could do the modding myself - lets face it, where's the fun buying a modded car.

To be honest, I didn't know about the gearbox. I'm running around 350/400 mark and love it and the box is coping fine.

Plus it was a nightmare finding a black hawkeye, when this one came up I had to get it.
Old 26 July 2011, 08:16 PM
morpheus1870
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Carlh
Was a no brainer, had to WRX over STi simply because of cost (I wanted a new car as I do a lot of mileage, no point in buying a 100k car when im doing 30k in it a year)

WRX (ex-demo) £17k
STi (new) £32,000

Mods: VF43 from ScoobyClinic, Rear-Carbon fibre spoiler, Mudflaps, Hatch STi seats (all), Kenwood 4028BT Double Din Media Player, Eibach Lowering Springs, HKS III, Strut bar, Whiteline ARBs, Team Dynamics Monzas, Custom backbox from subarubits.co.uk, Full Decat from Scoobyclinic, STi Front Brembo's, STi TMIC, Forged Engine, EcuTek remapped to 312hp, 365lb ft, might be a bit more but I cant remember.

Cost: Now that would be telling, but its nearly 10k STILL cheaper than the STi.

Am waiting to save up and uprate my gearbox and kindly get ScoobyClinic to shove a SC46 or 53 on there and remap once more. I'd like around the 480 mark but its going to cost me another 5k all-in so it remains a daily-driven car thats bullet proof and will last me.

After that, coilovers and god knows what.

It kills me to think of all the holidays and goodies I could have bought myself instead of spending on the scoob. ****, she's worth it!
Would like to get up to 400bhp on my Hawk (currently approx 340bhp / 380lbft), already running FMIC and Vf43, exhaust etc Are you planning on an uprated 5speed or 6speed sti box? Is a SC46/53 a different turbo by the way?
Old 26 July 2011, 08:17 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Originally Posted by morpheus1870
Was wondering what reasons you guys had for purchasing your WRX over an STi?

Personally I chose the WRX because of the particular mods carried out by the previous owner, the quality of the car and the fact it was cheaper to buy than an Sti.
It's a bit like men who fancy the fit bird at the bar but end up going home with the fat minger!
Old 26 July 2011, 08:18 PM
morpheus1870
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by L.J.F
It's a bit like men who fancy the fit bird at the bar but end up going home with the fat minger!
Body like bay watch face like crime watch!
Old 26 July 2011, 08:23 PM
ian.e
Scooby Regular

Needed a wagon to carry all my motocross stuff, and bug sti wagons are not exactly plentiful.
Old 26 July 2011, 08:33 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by morpheus1870
Would like to get up to 400bhp on my Hawk (currently approx 340bhp / 380lbft), already running FMIC and Vf43, exhaust etc Are you planning on an uprated 5speed or 6speed sti box? Is a SC46/53 a different turbo by the way?
Im not sure of the issues with the later 5 speeds, but the early ones break when the torque is upped, some will say this is not the case if you nurse it, but I can tell you from expecrience if you push had they strip gears.

The VF43 will offer good power, so I wouldnt get hooked on going for 400bhp as you will need to spend coin unnecessary imho. Im sure I have read 380bhp on a VF43 is comfortable, and some with a splash of meth getting to 400bhp.

If your car isnt an everyday car, then if I was in your shoes I would get the niggles sorted and push your gearbox to what the VF43 runs out of puff, if it survives then great, if not then you knew it might happen

Sorry thats not very good advice

Rob
Old 26 July 2011, 08:40 PM
Davey96wrx
Scooby Regular

I was always after an original classic, newer ones dont do it for me at all.

I got my current classic wrx based upon condition, i was looking for 3 months solid for a nice well treated sti with as low mileage as poss, could i find one, could i hell all of them were complete nails, or had the good old knock begining, with many owners saying ' oh they all make that noise '

I found my silver 96 wrx on just 53,000miles with lots of paperwork and mot reports to verify miles, only imported in 2008 and can only be described as mint. came with full sti interior, sti wheels, GAB fully adjustable suspension,sti alloy wishbones, no abs, quickshift, and Zigen border exhaust, other than that completely stock and in my view this was much better than any other sti i could find, making up the power difference would be pretty easy so was pretty negligable.

Thats my story anyway...
Old 26 July 2011, 08:47 PM
wolfie1969
Scooby Regular

Wanted the cleanest/most standard, low mileage JDM classic i could find at the time

But might be forced to part with her soon
Old 26 July 2011, 08:57 PM
Davey96wrx
Scooby Regular

Wolfie you get 10 Man Points! That is exactly like mine in appearance and condition, tho my wheels are gold..
Old 26 July 2011, 09:11 PM
Steve T
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfie1969
Wanted the cleanest/most standard, low mileage JDM classic i could find at the time

But might be forced to part with her soon
Very nice. Steve.

Quick Reply: FAO: WRX owners - why not an STi?