Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jerry, Jerry, Jerry ....
Old 27 March 2001, 11:14 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Sorry for pointing out the obvious Jerry, I know what it's like to be involved in an accident and I wouldn't want it to happen to anybody. The last thing that you need at present is somebody rubbing your nose in it.

If I came across like that, then I'm sorry. But if you read your post, I <I>had</I> the impression that you were almost happy about it all. The fact that peoples lives were in danger gives the topic a very morbid aftertaste.

As I said, I am happy you are OK.

Take care

Cem
Old 27 March 2001, 11:39 PM
Scooby-dude
Scooby Regular

Cool

Jza,

Good reply. I look forward to your performance on Ricki Lake

Seriously, I think it's good to vent off to somebody, and if you can't do it here then where can you?

'Learn from his mistake, and give him a break'
Old 28 March 2001, 08:41 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Angry

Phew,

On the way to work yesterday, took a "quick countryside route" as i was running late. Came to a down hill right hander (oulton park lookalike!!). Bit quick so a slight dab of the brakes. Car slides sideways, opposite lock (just a touch - dont want to 'pendulum' it. Ive wondered onto the otherside - notice car on other side is now ramming material. Swerve hard to avoid it. Oh **** - this is gonna hurt!!!

Wham, car massivly oversteers the other way. Hit ditch, hedge BANG spin in air - around BANG back hits hedge BANG around again. Thought it was all over but apparently eye witness says i then flew upwards. BANG crash down. Knocked out. Buggered neck and Back. Seriously mangled car. Lucky to be alive i reckoned. Passer by found me unloading the CD's from the interchanger in the boot (?!?!?). Then reality clears the fog in your mind. Thought OH NO MY BABY.... !!!!

Then realised id borrowed the companies 306 GTI-6 for a trip later that day!!! The 3 hours in casualty were bearable. Got home, and got the missus to give my Scooby a good clean and take me out for a spin.

Someone up there was looking out for me! GOD DRIVES A SCOOBY!!!

Jza
Old 28 March 2001, 08:59 AM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Glad you're okay, but is putting another road users life in danger, and wrecking yet another performance car really something to grin so much about?

Gary.
Old 28 March 2001, 09:07 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Hmm,

Oh well la de da Gary. Just glad to be alive. 2 other cars came off at the same point that morning. One just missed my wreck. Diesel spill on the outside corner got us all. You are right about safety of course. Never let a good story get in the way of facts eh Gary!!

Jza

Old 28 March 2001, 09:15 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Jza,

Sorry to hear about your mishap - Glad nobody was seriously injured. Diesel spills can be absolutely terrifying... luckily I've only ever encountered them at very low speeds.

Were the Police on scene at this point? I'm very suprised that they didn't slow down the other traffic while the spill was dealt with. Did the other two cars also loose it on the same spot?.

Cheers,

Alex

Trending Topics

Old 28 March 2001, 09:23 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Jza

Glad to hear that you're relatively ok.

Old 28 March 2001, 09:31 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Gary
I'm glad your conscience is so clean. How can you possibly justify owning an Evo?
Old 28 March 2001, 09:42 AM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Mungo,

I appreciate that accidents do happen. Jza's post just seemed a bit flippant, that's all. What does me having an evo have to do with anything?

Gary.
Old 28 March 2001, 10:16 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

I agree with Gary's sentiments whole-heartedly (and yes, what does an evo have to do with it?)

It just seemed strange that Jza seemed happy about all of this?

I am very happy to see that you are OK, but perhaps only by stepping back and evaluating the situation will you realise how lucky you really were.

Take care

cem
Old 28 March 2001, 10:50 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Cem,

I am aware that sometimes things that get posted on this forum get taken well out of hand. I had a crash. Im alive and well. Im sorry that it happened. I was just very pleased that my MY01 WRX didnt get written off, just the company car. I wanted to share this with you. This is a subaru forum that we share lifes little dramas with each other..... dont we?

My comments were not advocating crashes or any other rubbish like that.

Why do people always have to have a go???

Cant you just read what i said and smile - or are we supposed to have no sense of humour about these things?

I was shaking like hell afterwoods. I have had to stay up all night because of my concussion. My mind is elsewhere. I am scared to get in a car at the moment - reliving my experience by making it sound funny is therapy for me. OK?

Please can anyone else reading this NOT point out the obvious to me!!!

Jza
Old 28 March 2001, 12:03 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

"just the company car got written off" - well, SOMEONE has to pay for that - I can't wait for the next wingeing thread on here about premiums going up.....
Old 28 March 2001, 12:17 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Well I understand Jza entirely.

I've had a couple of accidents over the years, two of them very serious.

The worst one was on my 25th birthday. At the time I had a Granada Scorpio (no jokes please). Driving to a restaurant, doing 60 on a dual carriageway, some silly cow driving a V8 long wheel base Land Rover on the opposite side decided to do right turn in front of me.

I didn't even get my foot across to the brake pedal and my car ( a couple of tons with the passengers) stopped 9 feet from the point of the impact. The gear lever had torn a 14 inch gash down the transmission tunnel, the pedals were into the base of my seat, the engine had bent the dash into the car and I had cut my head where it had hit the hands free mic. This was approx 450mm from the furthest I could stretch towards it, sitting in the wreck afterwards.

I was *very* happy afterwards and this crash changed my out look on life. Every day is a bonus, because we all should have been dead.

Jza... take a deep breath and notice how life seems more colourful, less stressful and more fun. Glad you are OK.
Old 28 March 2001, 12:37 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Ah but Pete, thats a different point altogether.

Jerry wasn't saying "Thank god I'm alive! "

It was more like "Thank god it's the company car! "
Old 28 March 2001, 01:25 PM
g man
Scooby Regular

I know how he feels ... Nearly killing myself last year in my first scoob catalunya 052 after 7 days of ownership ...as long as you are okay mate just put the boxing gloves on again .......GMAN
Old 28 March 2001, 01:31 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Sorry blowdog, but i am pleased it was not my new car. And I am pleased to be alive. Why on earth would i not be?

I was trying to re-live my experience with a bit of drama (for the sake of a good read) - the punch line being i hadnt smashed MY car. This is a SUBARU forum (is the EVO forum full of sensible people who use words like "flipant"?). But that was obviously wasted on you. So glad you pointed that out to me rolleyes:. Of course im not pleased - just relieved to be alive.

Your dead right Pete. I was on the way to work, and the trees and lamposts on the side of the road looked really menacing... if id hit one id probably be dead. Does make life seem more important than before!!!!

Cheers for everyones well wishes!!

Jza

Old 28 March 2001, 01:44 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Much better to crash a company car than a more expensive personally owned one, but better still not to crash at all - obviously.
I think the Mungo's point to Gary about owning the EVO was made because this is an extremely high performance car and so may be driven very quickly on the public roads from time to time potentially having a bigger accident.
My belief is that cars such as the EVO are some of the safest cars on the road when driven responsibly with stonking brakes etc, but in a silly or unlucky moment the opposite can be true because of the high speeds that can be reached so quickly and the way it can carry these speeds through corners - hit some diesel or be the victim of some bad driving in front of you and you're in an even bigger accident than you might have been in a 'lesser' car.
Old 28 March 2001, 01:58 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

I actually deleted a lot of my first post as Anyway, here's what I remember ...
OK, dude crashes car.
As part of his rehabilitation, he posts a humourous thread about the incident. Unfortunately, he leaves the most important point, the diesel spillage, out and gets [perhaps justifiably] flamed.
Everyone here has had experiences which they have to deal with.
I bet there are a lot of people who post a lot less than they want to for fear of what will happen.
Old 28 March 2001, 03:04 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Scoobysnacks -
I agree with you 100% with your comments on the evo, and they're just as applicable to the scooby as well. However, when I mention anything like this on a speeding thread, and that by driving fast, the error of judgement or unlucky moment when it happens is going to be more serious, I just tend to get flamed and branded an anti-car-lobby killjoy Driving the cars we do, the way most of us do on the public road is like anything, a risk-reward balance.

Jza -
I'm sorry, but your first post DID appear flippant (and I don't post much on the lancer board btw, so can't really say whether they're all "sensible"). It came across to ME as "In a hurry, driving pretty hard, bit of oversteer action into the other lane, no probs happens all the time, oh $hit somethings coming, swerve, car smashed, oh luckily I'm okay, and heh it's the company car that's written off and my cars alright HAHAHAHA."

From your other posts, I guess that you must be experiencing a feeling of euphoria, since you made it out relatively in one piece, and that's what you were trying to get across, but not having had such an accident myself misinterpreted what you were saying.

Regards,

Gary.
Old 28 March 2001, 03:18 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Cheers Gary,

Your dead right - i wasnt attempting to make light of a serious accident, just expressing my relief in being alive and having a scooby left. Now my head just hurts and the boss has bollocked me so the euphoria has left

Jza
Old 28 March 2001, 03:47 PM
TopCat
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by g man:
<B>I know how he feels ... Nearly killing myself last year in my first scoob catalunya 052 after 7 days of ownership ...as long as you are okay mate just put the boxing gloves on again .......GMAN [/quote]

G man, never underestimate the power of the CAT!!!

see you around the hood

TC
Old 28 March 2001, 05:26 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Gary,
I know what you mean on the speeding thing. I believe you can split this into two types of speeding though. There's the '35 mph in a 30 zone' type of speeding and '80 mph round a bend in a 60 zone' type of speeding. I think most accidents that happen in the 30 zones are because of people not paying attention, not because they're doing 5 mph over the limit. However, the sort of accident mentioned above in the 60 zones probably are more directly related to the extra speed involved.
One important point though - even if the crash rate is not reduced by people sticking to speed limits, the accidents that do happen are likely to be less serious. If I'm one day to be the innocent victim in such an accident, I hope the other party is going as slowly as possible when I'm hit. Sometimes 5 mph does make the difference between life and death... Hey, let's be careful out there.
Old 28 March 2001, 06:01 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Your ok!
Your company car is wrecked
You still have the confidence to drive straight after

I would say your a lucky lucky man, much the same as my dad who had a similar accident and would not get behind the wheel for 4 weeks because of the flashbacks he kept having He ended up in a houses front room through some patio doors though!

It changes your outlook on life, and I am sure that when J put the smilies it was more in a fit of extreme relief more than pleasure in that he wrote his company car off. I can imagine the adrenalin and the shock was hard to bare when getting behind the wheel of the scoob again.

Your alive and have life, the single most important thing we have and take for granted until something like this happens!

Glad your Ok mate.

Ronnie
Old 28 March 2001, 07:37 PM
nevr
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by scoobysnacks:
<B>Gary,
I know what you mean on the speeding thing. I believe you can split this into two types of speeding though. There's the '35 mph in a 30 zone' type of speeding and '80 mph round a bend in a 60 zone' type of speeding. I think most accidents that happen in the 30 zones are because of people not paying attention, not because they're doing 5 mph over the limit. However, the sort of accident mentioned above in the 60 zones probably are more directly related to the extra speed involved.
One important point though - even if the crash rate is not reduced by people sticking to speed limits, the accidents that do happen are likely to be less serious. If I'm one day to be the innocent victim in such an accident, I hope the other party is going as slowly as possible when I'm hit. Sometimes 5 mph does make the difference between life and death... Hey, let's be careful out there.[/quote]

Heres something to think about,at 30mph your travelling at 44ft per second if you start to pass a stationary bus and soneone steps out onto the road at the front you will hit them before you start to brake.whatever speed you drive at make sure you can stop in the distance you can see to be safe, 80mph with good viz perhaps no problem limited view maybe 40 is too quick.

A near death experience is never wanted, be careful for the next few weeks you will find yourself taking unecessary risks,believing yourself invunerable, proven research..
Old 28 March 2001, 08:47 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Jza, good for you!!

I'm with you on this one m8 When you have a mishap, crash, or road rage incident it is great to come on here and get it out of your system to like-minded performance car drivers.

C'mon Blowdog, we've all had near misses and laughed about it afterwards? No-one was hurt so why not? As for the Co Car it is all covered on their insurance policy which must get hammered throughout the year anyway for minor dings and scrapes.

Edited to say....Ronnie lad - well said m8

[This message has been edited by Dream Weaver (edited 28 March 2001).]
Old 28 March 2001, 09:17 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Red face

You guys all seem to think I'm having a go!
I'm bloody not. All I am saying is that this is a good opportunty to realise how lucky you are after such a dangerous life threatening situation.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>C'mon Blowdog, we've all had near misses and laughed about it afterwards? No-one was hurt so why not?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry mate, I really fail to see what is so funny about such a scenario. I had a dangerous accident a number of months ago, my car was written off and I can assure you, laughing was <B>not</B> one of the things going through my mind.

Cem
Old 28 March 2001, 09:51 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cem - what I mean is, we sometimes have to laugh about it just to get over it. I have had a couple of near-do's and when you sit there shaking afterwards you sometimes cant help but laugh to yourself. Not cos you thought it was funny but just out of shear shock, and being thankful that you are alive.

I know you're not having a go, neither am I mate
Old 28 March 2001, 11:18 PM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Talking

Jza

I am happy that you are well, and no damage was done to any innocent parties

However M8 I can only put my hands up and say that I was thinking exactly what Cem typed.

Your post originally reads a bit 'Max Powery' however you tune has changed over the last few, but your subsequent 'digs' (that maybe the wrong word to use) at DB only really back up the original theme of your first post.

All I am saying is that I can completely understand why DB would have typed what he typed. You did yourself no favours in your first thread and it now seems as though due to a change of feeling in the thread that DB is a bit of a bad guy which shouldn’t be the case.

Anyway the point is you hurt no one, your ok and even more importantly your Scoobs ok

SJD

PS
Your right to have a poke at DB about his EVO though, his Makkinen must be affecting all sorts of Bodily functions, like the ability to talk, think, type etc, he he he he
Old 29 March 2001, 01:02 AM
g man
Scooby Regular

Sorry chaps bit of a late bird in the studio
mixing....back to the crash , sometimes its better to laugh, I came home laughing from mine..but deep down inside I was burning up for being such a pleb!! whether its a Evo, Scooby, whatever , life is more important ..JUST REMEMBER THAT..the road is not a racetrack just pull out your £50 quid or whatever and do it on the track instead of the road..take it easy out there..G MAN,
BIG UP TOPCAT AND BLOWDOG AND GARY..keep smiling.

Quick Reply: Its a write off.....!!!!