Sponsored by:

ebay problem advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2011, 12:48 PM
pete@s/e imprezas
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ebay problem advice needed

Hi I bought a car in for breaking with a few issues.
After sorting the issues blowing header gaskets and a few sensors nothing major.but showing early signs of head gasket issues put the complete engine for sale on ebay as complete but spares and repairs due to headgaskets.engine sold and was collected next day.this was early june.got a message tuesday that buyers not happy had new gaskets and oil and filter change but now bottom ends knocking.I know 100% that when removed and sold the bottom end was fine and not kncking at all.have asked for details on how service and starting was done and still waiting for a answer.were do I stand if a full complaints made against me via ebay? As so far buyer has only asked what I can do to rectify the issue and not sure were I really stand
Cheers in advance for any advise pete
Old 23 July 2011, 12:59 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Did it knock from the moment he started it first time? I would doubt not. There are so many reasons he could have goosed the engine, and none for you. Id say the buyer has to take the hit of buying a secondhand engine. As for asking what you can do, unless you feel some kind of moral responsibility (which you shouldnt) then do nothing.

From now on, Id do a video recording of every engine you rip out to hear it working.
Old 23 July 2011, 01:00 PM
Scooby Parts
Former Sponsor

If paid through Paypal, not much as they always side with the buyer these days if its within 45 days.

If it was fitted and not knocking when he first started it up, then its not your problem.

If he says it was knocking from start up, you could ask them to return it and once you check it to make sure its the engine you sent, send a replacement.

If he then says he just wants a refund to fix the existing engine, Id think hes trying it on.

At least this way if he does file a dispute, you have it on record that hes not willing to return the item.

Last edited by Scooby Parts; 23 July 2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 23 July 2011, 01:13 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the problem with eBay........ It wouldn't surprise me if he tries to 'negotiate' a partial refund or something like that. It's happened before and been reported on the forum. I think the buyer was sold a gearbox and some time afterwards reported a problem. He wanted a part refund but the seller said just to return it and he would refund him.

Not surprisingly he wouldn't probably because there was nothing wrong with it............

Paypal and their siding with buyers not matter what doesn't help. Hope you get it sorted mate
Old 23 July 2011, 01:19 PM
Scooby Parts
Former Sponsor

happened to me with a gearbox. Seller said it had a crunch between 1st and 2nd gear at 5k revs so syncro must be gone.

I had another sitting so asked him to return it and Id send it but he refused saying it would cost 150 to get it taken out which he didnt have and he just wanted a part refund as it wasnt 100%.

In the end I refunded 50%. He only have 5 posts too. Lesson learned.
Old 23 July 2011, 01:20 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Parts
happened to me with a gearbox. Seller said it had a crunch between 1st and 2nd gear at 5k revs so syncro must be gone.

I had another sitting so asked him to return it and Id send it but he refused saying it would cost 150 to get it taken out which he didnt have and he just wanted a part refund as it wasnt 100%.

In the end I refunded 50%. He only have 5 posts too. Lesson learned.
Did you post this up on here? Might of been where I read it.
Old 23 July 2011, 01:23 PM
Scooby Parts
Former Sponsor

might have mate, cant remember as it was at the start of the year
Old 23 July 2011, 01:29 PM
wr pete
Scooby Regular

I don't understand some people ? If you have an engine out of the car why the hell would you not inspect and or change the crank bearings before putting the engine back in the car, if you are going to go to the trouble of fitting new head gaskets then isn't it obvious that you would check the rest of the engine.

If I was you mate I'd tell him to do one, you told the guy the motor was spares or repair there could of been anything wrong with it, if he half repairs it and it goes wrong then he only has himself to blame.
Old 23 July 2011, 01:32 PM
pete@s/e imprezas
Former Sponsor

Engine was paid for in cash on collection buyer also has my tel number as has bught stuff of me since but has messaged me via ebay rather than just call me direct.all items I sell are marked so I no there mine and this is no exception heads and block were marked.cleared all my messagaes photos etc before I left but can't remember clearing my photobucket photos and hopefully will have a video clip of engine running on there as pretty sure I had a video clip but being well over a month later hope I haven't deleted it.pete
Old 23 July 2011, 01:38 PM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wr pete
I don't understand some people ? If you have an engine out of the car why the hell would you not inspect and or change the crank bearings before putting the engine back in the car, if you are going to go to the trouble of fitting new head gaskets then isn't it obvious that you would check the rest of the engine.

If I was you mate I'd tell him to do one, you told the guy the motor was spares or repair there could of been anything wrong with it, if he half repairs it and it goes wrong then he only has himself to blame.
if you think he's trying it on then do this!
Old 23 July 2011, 01:40 PM
Scooby Parts
Former Sponsor

No part can be guaranteed if sold as spares or repair IMO.
Old 23 July 2011, 01:43 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

I'd get onto your eBay account and delete any cards you have registered. I doubt they could take anything but you never know........
Old 23 July 2011, 01:47 PM
Scooby Parts
Former Sponsor

If he didnt pay with paypal, hes not covered as he needs a transaction number to dispute

Last edited by Scooby Parts; 23 July 2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 23 July 2011, 02:50 PM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

Anything sold as spares or repairs is "sold as not working" so thats the end of discussion.
He bought an engine that didn't work and he couldn't fix it so he has to take the hit on hit.

You can't be expected to offer guarantees or warranty on that kind of item.
Old 23 July 2011, 02:53 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Myles
From now on, Id do a video recording of every engine you rip out to hear it working.
That's what I did with the engine I took out of my car that I broke last year. Just before I started disconnecting the engine I fired it up and gave it a quick rev so that anyone could hear that it sounded sweet before it was removed.

Hope you get it sorted mate, I know you don't sell crap and I don't think they have a leg to stand on
Old 23 July 2011, 02:56 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It all depends on what was said in the advert.........is the link live ??

AFAIK There is no legal basis for the phrase "spares or repair" in SOGA or elsewhere.

Shaun
Old 23 July 2011, 04:14 PM
Scott@ScoobySpares
Formerly ScoobyTeknix

this is not good when this happens it is why we do not offer a guarantee on engine's we sell but we do if we fit them as it is such a risk,, maybe who ever fitted the engine did not unplug the crank sensor and prime to get the oil pressure up which would have caused the engine to fail, so not your fault if it was fine when it left you
Old 23 July 2011, 04:52 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scott@ScoobySpares
this is not good when this happens it is why we do not offer a guarantee on engine's we sell but we do if we fit them as it is such a risk,, maybe who ever fitted the engine did not unplug the crank sensor and prime to get the oil pressure up which would have caused the engine to fail, so not your fault if it was fine when it left you
That was the first thing to come to my mind, Scott.
Old 23 July 2011, 05:14 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

If he has paid cash then he aint got a leg to stand on, you may lose a customer but heyho could be worse...... If you can find that clip with the engine running then the buyer would have no choice but to accept that it was back luck on his behalf
Old 23 July 2011, 05:15 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless it's universal to do the oil change that way then it's no defence I'm afraid....

Shaun
Old 23 July 2011, 05:18 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bit more than an oil change though I'd want to build the oil pressure before firing up !