Sponsored by:

Insurance question

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2011, 12:15 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance question

I have two cars and both are insured with Aviva. When I bought my current Scoob Aviva gave me a separate policy for it and gave me full NCD on it as my other policy had full NCD.

So as far as I am aware I now have two policies with full NCD. They are separate, it is definitely not one multi car policy.

Now I have been quoted 460 to insure my Scoob this year and was wondering f I can look round for a better quote and if I find one move that policy to another company still with the full NCD or is it 'bound' to Aviva?

I tried to call Aviva today but the queue was too long whenever I called so before I try again tomorrow I was just wondering if anyone knew the score?
Old 20 July 2011, 01:30 AM
Gareth79
Scooby Newbie

I didn't think an insurance company can't "create" NCD like that, it has to be something you could go and track backwards policy-by-policy. For a while I accrued NCD on two separate policies, ie. 5 years on my main car and started from scratch on the second car.

Definitely explain it fully to the insurer though, they may well take it into account. It is a crazy system though, there doesn't appear to be any central rules on how it is handled, and what happens if a customer genuinely makes a mistake when working it all out.
Old 20 July 2011, 02:02 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gareth79
I didn't think an insurance company can't "create" NCD like that, it has to be something you could go and track backwards policy-by-policy. For a while I accrued NCD on two separate policies, ie. 5 years on my main car and started from scratch on the second car.

Definitely explain it fully to the insurer though, they may well take it into account. It is a crazy system though, there doesn't appear to be any central rules on how it is handled, and what happens if a customer genuinely makes a mistake when working it all out.
No I definitely have two separate policies with full NCD on each and they gave me the full NCD three years ago on the new policy when I bought the Scoob. It isn't that uncommon these days apparently and I had been insuring with them for years already, but I just wonder if there is some caveat about taking one of the policies away to another company.
Old 20 July 2011, 08:48 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gareth79

Insurance co's can mirror your policy, been doing it for ages, you basically already have full ncb etc so why do you have to start again? (though some may want you to start again, most will give you your ncb on your new policy).

f1_fan, there should be no issue with you moving said policy, ive done that in the past with no issues and considering you only live down the road from me (and in a much more built up area) your insurance is considerably cheaper (cost me more than that to insure the astra diesel this year ) though that could be to do with our postcodes being different (though I live in the same "district" as you).

Tony
Old 20 July 2011, 10:36 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Insurance co's can mirror your policy, been doing it for ages, you basically already have full ncb etc so why do you have to start again? (though some may want you to start again, most will give you your ncb on your new policy).

f1_fan, there should be no issue with you moving said policy, ive done that in the past with no issues and considering you only live down the road from me (and in a much more built up area) your insurance is considerably cheaper (cost me more than that to insure the astra diesel this year ) though that could be to do with our postcodes being different (though I live in the same "district" as you).

Tony
Cheers Tony and I know the whole postcode thing is weird with insurance. Maybe I am so old now they don't consider me a risk LOL!

Have to say Aviva's quotes aren't bad, but just thought I would hawk it round some others just in case I can get it cheaper.