Sponsored by:

How to repair classic bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2011, 02:45 AM
mrjelly
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to repair classic bumper?

A guy reversed into the front of my classic wagon MY99 at an angle. The brunt of the hit was on the passenger side headlamp washer unit (which punched through his rear bumper) and across the bumper at the passenger side.

There is quite a bit of paint damage but no dents. However I've just noticed that the bumper has been pushed out of alignment on the passenger side and doesn't blend in with the wing towards the wheel arch. The bumber sits back a little at the arch and is dropped down by about 1.5cm there.

For various reasons this won't be an insurance job and I'm just looking to figure out how to get the bumper back into alignment - then I'll have a go at sorting the paintwork. If I push the bumper up it will go flush but as soon as I release it drops back out of alignment. The bumper itself doesn't look bent or out of shape.

Is there a bracket(s) holding on the bumper that I can just bend back ino shape so the bumper will sit flush. If so how do I get to it. Will I need to take the bumper off, get her on a ramp or what.
Cheers for help
Old 16 July 2011, 08:53 AM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

take the bumper off, it'll make it easier to see and fix any damage behind it, it'll also be easier to prep and paint it while it's off too.
Old 16 July 2011, 08:59 AM
D.A Dave
Scooby Regular

agree with gazzawrx remove your bumper an have a proper look at things it may helt to get a pic up if you can mate
Old 16 July 2011, 01:06 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It may even be worth getting a replacement bumper in the same colour Saves a lot of hassle repairing that one and it'll probably work out cheaper too.