Avoiding points. Will this work ?

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2001, 09:21 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

From the Evo forum.
I think it's bull and sounded dodgy, but it has the ring of truth about it. It's the way a transaction based system could work, so is just about plausible.

As with all IT matters, it's easily fixed so don't expect it to work(if ever!) for that long.

---

I found the following on another forum, posted by a guy who workes in the magistrates court dealing with this type of thing...

We discovered that this procedure works nationwide. Read it and try it, you have nothing to lose but the points on
your license. This is how it works:

If you get a speeding ticket or went through a red light or whatever the case may be, and you are going to get points on your licence, then there is a method to ensure that you DO NOT get any points.

When you get your fine, send in the cheque to pay for it and if the fine is say, 40, then make the cheque out for 41 or some small amount over the fine. The system will then have to send you back a cheque for the difference, but here is the trick!

***DO NOT CASH THE REFUND CHEQUE!!!**

Throw it away!! Points are not assessed to your license until all financial transactions are complete. If you do not cash the cheque, then the transactions are NOT complete. However, the system has gotten its money and is happy and will not bother you any more.

Old 27 March 2001, 09:54 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Question

With regards to insurance though you need to declare pending as well as current convictions, so technically you'd still need to own up there wouldn't you? Having insurance is too valuable for me to try dodging the system on a technicality like this
Chuck
Old 27 March 2001, 10:39 AM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Cannot be done.
You need to submit your licence before you pay any fines. Believe me, the courts are not daft enough to not chase this up.

R
Old 27 March 2001, 03:18 PM
tokyo_steve
Scooby Regular

Definate urban myth this one!

The real way to avoid points is of course to drive on a foreign license, but your insurance will cost extra.

Steve
Old 27 March 2001, 07:42 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Talking

yep its an urban myth and if it wasnt it would be sorted by now as i`ve seen it everywhere. it was in motorcycle news last year!

on the subject of Evo forum- are they one big step towards max power or is it just me??

tiggs
Old 27 March 2001, 07:43 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

yep its an urban myth and if it wasnt it would be sorted by now as i`ve seen it everywhere. it was in motorcycle news last year!

on the subject of Evo forum- are they one big step towards max power or is it just me??

tiggs
Old 27 March 2001, 07:51 PM
hooksin
Scooby Regular

One of the guys at work mailed me this today....he got it from the toyota board.
I also thought it sounded to good to be true. Just took 3 points myself this week so would be great if it did work.

Old 27 March 2001, 07:57 PM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

It would be a good way to annoy the banks though! they love cheques for small ammounts!

If you are ever annoyed with a bank im sure cashing a few 1p cheques would really please them!!
Old 28 March 2001, 03:53 PM
AndyG
Scooby Regular

Here's an even more bizarre way to avoid points - don't speed in dangerous areas where there are more likely to be cameras or traffic police.

Andy
Old 28 March 2001, 04:00 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

you need to submit your licence to get the endorsements on. The first part of the theory is correct, but you wouldn't get your licence back and would be unable to get a new one until the case was closed.... so it would be ok if you where 96 and unlikely to need a new licence ever again
Old 28 March 2001, 04:05 PM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Had it from 3 people in the last 10 mins.

SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM

SJD
Old 28 March 2001, 07:43 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Angry

AndyG, If Derbyshire Police are anything like your comments suggest then fantastic, but in the southwest it is a different story...

I only see police on the dual carriageways and motorways regularly and camera's are put in revenue generating positions not dangerous ones!
Old 28 March 2001, 08:40 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Scott J Davies:
<B>Had it from 3 people in the last 10 mins.

SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM
SJD[/quote]

And me

Old 29 March 2001, 07:57 AM
AndyG
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by polarbearit:
<B>AndyG, If Derbyshire Police are anything like your comments suggest then fantastic, but in the southwest it is a different story...

I only see police on the dual carriageways and motorways regularly and camera's are put in revenue generating positions not dangerous ones![/quote]

I have to say that instances of pure revenue earning cameras *are* pretty rare around here. Of course one is too many, and once you've seen one it tends to stick in the memory, but overall I'm *not* of the opinion that "revenue earning cameras" are a big problem.

Police on motorway and duel carriageways yes, but they're only going to pull you if doing stupid speeds unless you are very unlucky. And where's the "fun" in going fast on a motorway anyway? I sit at 3000rpm and just watch the Vetras steam past me satisfied in the knowledge that their car is faster than an Impreza ;-)

Cheers,
Andy