Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

URGENT - North West dealer goes into receivership.

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2001, 02:10 PM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

I have just been to IGW in Bolton to try and get some response to the growing number of stone chips appearing on my P1 only to be told that they have gone into receivership and subsequently cannot:

Submit any warranty claims
Order any parts
Sell any cars, even the ones in the showroom

If any members have cars on order with this dealership and have left deposits on these orders I would strongly recommend you get in touch with the dealership as soon as possible and then seek legal advice. I was given the impression that anyone who has given a deposit for a new car is going to struggle to get anything back.

What can I do?
I have spoken to IM and they said that I should get in touch with my nearest dealership (which is about 20 miles away)that hasn't gone bust and they should be able to sort my problem out. 'Yeh right course they are' . Why should another dealer be in any way sympathetic to my problems with the crap paintwork.

Does anyone have any advice on what my next steps could be. Also advice on any of the following dealerships would also be helpful.

AP Hynes - Chorlton, Manchester
Robinsons - Rochdale
A & J White - Blackburn
Intermoto - Liverpool

Regards
Paul
Old 22 March 2001, 02:38 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
oh dear!

as regards other dealers helping, they are going to be OK about this. Your car is waranted, the issue is really one with IM and its in the dealers interests to assist you.
Old 22 March 2001, 02:46 PM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

John,

I notice you are from Cheshire. Have you had any experience with Monks Heath. I work in Wilmslow so they might be my best bet.

Regards
Paul
Old 22 March 2001, 03:13 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

Hi Paul,

Monks Heath is where my Impreza was first bought, although i was the 2nd owner of the car with just 8K on the clock.

I have taken my car for service there ever since i bought it, they also handled the waranty claim on my engine when i had a new short motor fitted due to piston slap.

I am very happy with the service i recieve there and when i go into the dealers the service manager remembers me by name, apart from being profesional he is also happy to chat about all things Subaru.

They also let me test drive the new WRX knowing i probably wont be swaping cars for a while yet.

They seem a good bunch to me, i cant fault them. Only thing i dont like is sometimes the courtesy car is a Justy Then again, driving that up the A34 and 4 wheel drifting it round the roundabouts up there at 20MPH is a right good laugh for a day. But dont tell them that OK!!
Old 22 March 2001, 03:30 PM
SPJ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Wouldn't touch AP Hynes.

Bought my first Scoob from there in 98.Excellent pre sales service.After sales service absolute cr*p.I only took mine back there for servicing to keep the book stamped by the supplying dealer.Nissan Micra courtesy car.Enough said!

Never used Monks Heath, but enquired there when I was looking to buy.
Where in Wilmslow do you work? I'm just down the road from there.
Old 22 March 2001, 03:53 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Guys (and girls)

This is the very thing I do for a living (receivership work that is)

If you have any specific questions or need any help you can post here or by email.

Cheers

D
Old 22 March 2001, 05:09 PM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

SPJ,

I currently doing some work for a large pharmaceutical company right slap bang in the middle of Wilmslow.

Regards
Paul
Old 22 March 2001, 05:44 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Oh my, I wonder who that might be

My opinion, for what it may be worth:

MH, Not impressed by the sales team. Never used their workshop, but Darren was happy to recommend them even after his car was damaged on the premises! Also nice run out down the lanes.

InterM, ditto on the sales side. Never had any problems with parts or service, always happy to help/advise. No courtesy car last time, one days notice, but Scoob collected and delivered.

Robinsons, sales team and service fine. At least two others will give favourable reports and they're out on NW5. (01 WRX unfortunately)

IGW No loss always felt they were too big, too arrogant and too expensive.

Just my personal perception, if that helps.

B

Old 22 March 2001, 05:46 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Gibsons of Brock next??????????
Old 22 March 2001, 05:58 PM
Ga22ar
Scooby Regular

Well, Paul thats what you get for buying a UK spec car.... Buy UK and get a pukka warranty eh... you mad mad fool...

Hows things at the Alderly Edge extension ??

Cheers
Ga22ar (Proud STI IV pilot)
Old 22 March 2001, 06:23 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by scooby nutter:
<B>Gibsons of Brock next??????????[/quote]

Bit late for that, Gibsons lost their Subaru franchise almost a year ago

Old 22 March 2001, 08:02 PM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

IGW - no loss there - they always were absolutely terrible - possibly the worst customer service I have ever come accross.

paulmon - btw - I have seen your car in K.C. carpark when visiting recently - I start work in the very same place in May (although as a permie)- small world eh? - I envisage some scooby related conversations at work in the near future :-)

Monks Heath are fine by the way - and are always keen to do warranty work as it keeps their workshop solvent - I used to take my car to them in preference to other IM dealers when I had a uk car - now I have joined the 'enlightened import owning' fraternity I enjoy superlative service at C+K in Manchester - one of the few perks of grey ownership is expert servicing at reasonable hourly rates -

fwiw - I have always had a frosty reception from Tony Hynes, despite buying my first impreza from him - he seemed to take offence when I bought my second one from elsewhere - their service never was that brilliant though
, though they did used to collect/deliver my ccar to Hale - I think they make more money from selling protons etc these days
cheers,

Paul W

Old 22 March 2001, 08:03 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

Wink

Gary C.
Make no wonder treating import owners like a piece of ****e when speaking to them on the phone.They forgot to realise that i would be spending lots of cash at their so called subaru dealership on servicing ,new wheels etc....
Well done Subaru!!
Old 22 March 2001, 11:41 PM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Ga22ar:
<B>Well, Paul that's what you get for buying a UK spec car.... Buy UK and get a pukka warranty eh... you mad mad fool...

Hows things at the Alderly Edge extension ??

Cheers
Ga22ar (Proud STI IV pilot) [/quote]

Fortunately the warranty is with Subaru and not those cowboys at IGW.

Where are you working at the moment ?

Just you wait till something big goes on that STi of yours, who'll be laughing then.

What colour did you get in the end.

Later
Paul
Old 22 March 2001, 11:47 PM
Gilly
Scooby Regular

Not too sorry to hear about IGW as the sales team didn't know much about the car when I was looking to buy! Bought mine second hand from Robinsons of Rochdale after two years of popping in and out and thinking about it. Always found them to be reliable and patient! Plus the fact that the service manager now drives around in my old car, doesn't do me any harm....
I'd recommend them cheerfully for servicing and general info.
Old 23 March 2001, 06:45 AM
Ga22ar
Scooby Regular

Red face

Theres always something big going in my STI - me

Now working for an Internet company that supplies EDI for the LSE/NYSE, designing and implmenting their OA systems between London and New York.

Got a silver one in the end from one of the bbs members, been having fun ever since !!

Regards (was it you who confirmed the proxy/lockout issue?)

[This message has been edited by Ga22ar (edited 23 March 2001).]
Old 23 March 2001, 08:21 AM
Darren Thompson
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yes my car was damaged there but no one from Monks Heath was driving the car and the car was parked correctly, the reason the car got damaged was a lorry driver who could not reverse hit it. The way I was dealt with after the accident and the speed the car was repaired and returned to me was second to none, the owner of the dealership and the service staff and sales guys could not apologize enough and could not do enough. I would recommend Monks Heath as a dealership so give them a go.

Darren.

P.S: No I don't work for then and no they don't pay me for advertising I am just happy with the service I get.
Old 23 March 2001, 08:25 AM
adge
Scooby Regular

Cool

Sad to see as I personally have had no problems with IGW having bought 2 UK Turbos off them in the past(even fitted new engine due to piston slap in MY98). They even serviced my new imported UK MY00 spec car and registered it with IM without any problems.
Guess I'll have to look around. Personally wouldn't touch AP Hynes although its the nearest after the way I was treated when looking to buy my first Turbo.
If Darren recommends Monks Heath then I'll give them a try.
Old 23 March 2001, 09:23 AM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Ga22ar:
<B>
Regards (was it you who confirmed the proxy/lockout issue?)
[/quote]

Yes, I got there in the end.

Get yourself up to croft on the 15th June, I'm sure there's going to be a few people from your neck of the woods going who you could travel up with.

Paul
Old 23 March 2001, 09:27 AM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Diablo,

I thought when a company went into receivership the receivers tried to continue to run the company, often in the hope it may be sold as a going concern..... the Stormont in Tunbridge Wells is in receivership, and still trading.... I am probably totally wrong but would be interested to know the correct answer.

Paul,
The warranty thing should be fine, I switched from Lancaster Sevenoaks, To Gatwick Cars in Crawley and have had no problems at all.

Dave

Old 23 March 2001, 09:28 AM
paulhoubart
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi guys,

Nice to see some owners from around my neck of the woods - I live only 10 miles away from Wilmslow, and travel through there regularly. I'll have to keep an eye out for you lot !

Not particularly relevant to this thread, i know, but .... !

PaulH, MY94 STI 5 Door.
Old 23 March 2001, 02:06 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Dave,

Yes we do in an ideal world. Problems with motor dealerships are the franchise agreements which do not always allow for trading on in such situations, hence the receiver cannot sell any cars at the moment (as we are told above)

D
Old 23 March 2001, 04:15 PM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

Just got back from Monks Heath, I spoke to a chap called Steve Farrington (Service Manager) who was very helpful. He was as shocked as I am at the crap paintwork on the P1.

He said that it is rare for paintwork to be repaired under warranty, he also said that he had seen a number of cars in a similar situation. He recommended that I write to the customer services manager at IM and see what happens.

I pointed out that there are a number of people on this BBS who have experienced similar problems. I am going to write the letter now and I will post any response I get from IM here.

One thing I found strange was that IM would replace the black bits that are now turning orange (underneath the indicator lens) under warranty.

If any P1 owner are experiencing similar problems with their paintwork I would be interested to know:

1: What is the extent of the damage to your paintwork
2: What actions have you taken, if any to get it resolved.

Regards
Paul
Old 23 March 2001, 06:57 PM
scooby2000
Scooby Regular

sorry to hear about igw that's the second one that folded first belcharm in warrington a few years ago just after i bought my frist scooby from there now igw only ever been there once but they had nothing there , has for other dealers i found intermoto very good this where i bought my current car from my99 and they know what's what
Old 24 March 2001, 12:52 PM
CLS
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

The sales team at this place didn't even know the time of day. I remember looking at a very tatty UK turbo 4 door being told that it was much more powerful than a 5 door UK turbo. Needless to say I turned around and left. I'm not suprised they're out of business.
Old 24 March 2001, 11:37 PM
Dave Bullock
Scooby Regular

I bought my UK 5 door My99 from IGW. I was gobsmacked at how bad the customer care was. I tried to resolve 2 problems with them for 3 months after I bought the car and eventually had to make an appointment with the MD who was also absolutely useless!! I thought it was just me, but it seems not. So GOOD RIDDENCE IGW, I for one won't miss you.
Long live Gibsons of Brock (Who can still service your scoob without invalidating the warranty)
Old 25 March 2001, 08:47 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

Hi Paul,

Steve Farrington is the chap i was refering to earlier, he seems to know his stuff and has always been very open and direct when discusing my car.

I know IM and lots of the service managers read this BBS, i have seen printouts of my own posts at the dealers. LOL

Lets hope IM do something to sort your problems. Good luck.
Old 25 March 2001, 10:08 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Dave Bullock:
<B>
Long live Gibsons of Brock (Who can still service your scoob without invalidating the warranty)[/quote]

You are quite true that it won't invalidate your warranty, but then as long as the car is serviced at any garage your warranty is protected, BUT you won't have the full SUBARU service history when you sell it, and their prices are higher than most other independant garages.

Personally, if I was going to use a non-subaru garage I would use C&K in Manchester, and I live less than 10 miles from Gibsons!!

Each to their own, I know Gibsons have a good following, but from persoanl experience, I really don't know why. From buying through servicing/after sales to selling my impreza they were crap and far behind other dealers (which is from what I hear why they had their franchised pulled and are no longer a 'Subaru' Garage)
Old 27 March 2001, 10:23 PM
Dave Bullock
Scooby Regular

You suprise me Gary. I havn't had a problem with them and they always seem helpful and willing to listen. However I have a couple of niggles on the warranty and may pay Monks Heath a visit near Wilmslow soon. I've heard good reports about them also.
Old 28 March 2001, 07:57 AM
Darren Thompson
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Monks Heath do another top job for me.http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/Forum1/HTML/011261.html

Darren.

Quick Reply: URGENT - North West dealer goes into receivership.