ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

How Reliable is the STI for Normal Norman

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2011, 10:12 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How Reliable is the STI for Normal Norman

Ok lets take out the ringland failures and lets say your grandma wants a car that mega reliable and has 35k

if she has been brought up with Subarus, and went for a new STI 2.5.

are the Internals very very good ?

lets say the owner doesnt mod it and doesnt screw it but uses is as a normal norman would, whats the reliablitly of the sti compared to all other makes, could it last for 300k miles ?

I once had a Honda Type R and apart from the common back wishbone out of scew, it was fine, but Honda Petrol are renound for being pretty good.

I had an Audi but it was always in for electrics etc or some light on dash, engine was ok but i wouldnt say reliable as a brand

Guy who works with me has a new Tiguan and its been in 4 times in 3 months DPF, and the other Valve and other crap.

I did read about Subaru being one of the top makes for reliability somewhere, or i could have been dreaming

Thanks

Happy Monday

bah
Old 13 June 2011, 11:14 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A bit pointless going for the sti if your just going to be a normal norman, why bother with a performance car if your not going to use it's performance.

But in answer to your question i would say better than most if treated correctly.

And there is no reason for one not to last 300k with the correct service intervals.

Subaru's are very popular in the ozy outback there is even one called the outback, and with farmers the world over because of their reliability.

Where as most ozy's won't touch a mitsi as they are renound for pain in the a$$ little electrical faults.

They may win the paris dakar but seem unable to transfer that success to their road cars.
Old 13 June 2011, 11:28 AM
VRS Koopa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think it also depends how Normal Norman drives aswell. if he's "Normal Norman The Ex Street Race Champion" then things may be a little different. but why would he have a 270+bhp car ?

Last edited by VRS Koopa; 13 June 2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 13 June 2011, 11:59 AM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell them to get a JDM then theres nothing to worry about
Old 13 June 2011, 12:45 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

hehe.

No i agree on the WHY would he get an STI,

I have to say at present mines a motorway barge at the moment, nothing more, and i get 26p a mile since the change last week, so if i drive like Norman i get 35 quid on a 29 quid journey.

Im 8000 miles in now and she hasnt missed a beat and only done 1lt of oil if that. and returns 30mpg if i drive at 70 75mph.

if Dons reading this, whats your MPG gone to Don since the cosworth 320R map ? any better
Old 13 June 2011, 12:48 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

If you are at all worried about MPG, this is the wrong forum for you matey!
Old 13 June 2011, 12:49 PM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

had my hatch from new for 16 months!!!

engine replaced at 6k miles, now on 20k and i use it everyday for work doing approx 200 miles a week that costs me £40 a week in shell v-power
Old 13 June 2011, 12:59 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by VRS Koopa
Think it also depends how Normal Norman drives aswell. if he's "Normal Norman The Ex Street Race Champion" then things may be a little different. but why would he have a 270+bhp car ?
Speed is only 1/4 of a Subaru's appeal! I'm very rarely on the boost with the current cost of petrol and the fact takings/jobs aren't assured in this credit crunch.

Wrong time to blow a gearbox or diff etc. Obviously if I didn't have a car I probably wouldn't look at a Scoob. Probably a MK2 GTI on classic insurance
Old 13 June 2011, 01:57 PM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Littleted
hehe.

No i agree on the WHY would he get an STI,

I have to say at present mines a motorway barge at the moment, nothing more, and i get 26p a mile since the change last week, so if i drive like Norman i get 35 quid on a 29 quid journey.

Im 8000 miles in now and she hasnt missed a beat and only done 1lt of oil if that. and returns 30mpg if i drive at 70 75mph.

if Dons reading this, whats your MPG gone to Don since the cosworth 320R map ? any better

1Litre of Oil in 8000 miles... Is that normal ??
Old 13 June 2011, 02:23 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine was using 1 litre per every 500-1000 miles (piston ring issues) until I put some stop smoke treatment in for the MOT. 2,000 miles now and the oil level hasn't budged!!!!
Old 13 June 2011, 02:30 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Carlh
1Litre of Oil in 8000 miles... Is that normal ??
Well i dunno is it , i check it weekly and it never moved in the first 4k, i then topped it up.

itll worry me if it drops a lot weekly, but so far so good,

As for MPG i,l be honest it doesnt bother me, the fact i drive a scooby probably makes me think about it more than i should.

In perpective of my Astra VXR it isnt that much worse, i also drove here in my wifes zafira 1.9 CDTI and i used 1/4 tank scooby used just under a half,

so not really that bad.

Everyone at work is moaning cos 2.0l diesals are getting only 16p a mile back and rarely break even.

2.5 hybrid petrol would be a real Money maker
Old 13 June 2011, 02:32 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine uses about 1 litre of oil about every thousand miles, but it's forged and thats about normal ish..
Old 13 June 2011, 02:37 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
If you are at all worried about MPG, this is the wrong forum for you matey!

Thing is gear surely getting somebody like Engine tuner to make you a high MPG map would be a good idea, then have a mad nutter button that makes everything max, and shoot u to 60 in 3.5 seconds.

I heard Alan had a 450 BHP doing 37mpg, which is great

no reason why the sccob couldnt be a norman car as well as a mad nutter beast.

Its what i,ll do

i = 95 rom high MPG
S = 97 Ron
S# = 97 Ron Full Boost

Dont get me wrong the scoob is a specilist car for real petrol heads, but there nowt stopping us Normans having a play and tailoring her

Last edited by Littleted; 13 June 2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 13 June 2011, 11:00 PM
VRS Koopa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS_Matt
Speed is only 1/4 of a Subaru's appeal! I'm very rarely on the boost with the current cost of petrol and the fact takings/jobs aren't assured in this credit crunch.

Wrong time to blow a gearbox or diff etc. Obviously if I didn't have a car I probably wouldn't look at a Scoob. Probably a MK2 GTI on classic insurance

I see what your saying mate, but the main question was really about the reliability of the 2.5. i was trying to say that if the driver has a heavy right foot then he could reduce the life of the engine over time. plus if he didnt let it warm up and coll down and so on........