Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 - First impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2011, 10:15 AM
Jules_E
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 - First impressions

Hello all

I have just replaced a set of eagle f1 GSD3s at the end of their life with a set of the new asymmetric 2 successor model. I have only covered 60 miles so far, but have experienced dry and very wet roads in that time. So far, I am very impressed. The immediately obvious differences are that they are much quieter than the previous tyres, transmit less vibration. They also seem incredibly steady through large pools of standing water. It's obviously not fair to compare the old tyres at the end of their life with new tyres of any brand on these aspects, but I already think I will be very happy with the news ones.

I can't yet say how they will compare in fast cornering, because I plan to go easy for the first couple of hundred miles, so I will post an update on that front. However, driven moderately quickly they feel similar to the GSD3s, being perhaps a little less sharp than the best tyres I have experienced in terms of turn in feel, but for me they somehow just instil huge confidence as did the GSD3s. By comparison, the bridgestone RE050s that I had a while back felt more precise in initial turn in, but I never trusted them on the limit. They felt like they would let go very sharply, where the two goodyears seem to provide much more feedback as you near the limits of adhesion. Tyres are a very personal thing and I am not about to say the bridgestones were no good. Many on this site clearly enjoy them, but the f1 is definitely my preference.

I had thought about trying the contisport 3, it having won a number of awards recently, but I really loved the GSD3s and was encouraged that the advertising for the asymmetric 2s focused on improvements in two or three key areas where the asymmetric 1s lost out in tyre reviews, including rolling resistance and feel.

In summary, the new tyres seem to be every bit as good A's the previous ones and I have no gripes at all so far. Well done goodyear!
Old 12 June 2011, 10:34 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmmm... my GSD3's are almost gone and I have thought about some of these - wonder how they compare to Toyo Proxes?
Old 12 June 2011, 10:43 AM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bonesetter
Hmmm... my GSD3's are almost gone and I have thought about some of these - wonder how they compare to Toyo Proxes?

Try a search in the brakes tyres and wheels section.
The Goodyear has less flexible sidewalls making it a better tyre for the Impreza.
Old 12 June 2011, 10:45 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by s70rjw
Try a search in the brakes tyres and wheels section.
The Goodyear has less flexible sidewalls making it a better tyre for the Impreza.
Thanks, will do.

Yes, softer walls were a criticism of the Proxes on my new age - only really noticeable on track though