Sponsored by:

wrx max potential

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2011, 01:18 AM
Boosty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wrx max potential

Ok so I have a 2005 blob wrx with vf34 running 320bhp. So say I want more power, can I rebuild the engine with forged internals etc like the sti boys do and still get over 400? What about the box, I don't wana swap for 6speed as I just put a race exedy in the 5speed.... Can I get it rebuilt stronger? What about the wrx diff - is it weak? What exactly are my limitations? Anyone on here running more than 350 on standard internals?? For a daily driver and spirited drive am I going to end up with allot of repairs??
Old 05 June 2011, 01:26 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boosty
Ok so I have a 2005 blob wrx with vf34 running 320bhp. So say I want more power, can I rebuild the engine with forged internals etc like the sti boys do and still get over 400? What about the box, I don't wana swap for 6speed as I just put a race exedy in the 5speed.... Can I get it rebuilt stronger? What about the wrx diff - is it weak? What exactly are my limitations? Anyone on here running more than 350 on standard internals?? For a daily driver and spirited drive am I going to end up with allot of repairs??

I know few guys which running 400bhp on WRX engine and one its blobeye like yours.

At first you must known your target and i would suggest 2.1 stroker which cost from £3k(fully built and fitted as well).

You can rebuilt your gearbox and fit there Albin kit,which selling Scoobyclinic.

You will need bigger brakes which are not the best,plus some suspension mods etc.

Jura
Old 05 June 2011, 01:30 AM
Boosty
Scooby Regular

Brakes and suspension I can manage have this already, so for 3k, do I get new internals or a whole new engine? Is it the same strength as a sti stroker kit? Any idea how much albin kit would be?
Old 05 June 2011, 01:39 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Brakes and suspension I can manage have this already, so for 3k, do I get new internals or a whole new engine? Is it the same strength as a sti stroker kit? Any idea how much albin kit would be?
For £3k you will get your engine will be rebuilded with 2.1 stroker parts,in how are strong i would suggest 500-550bhp will be OK.
And will be stronger as Sti

Here is link for 2.1 stroker

http://www.slowboy-racing.co.uk/inde...mart&Itemid=73

Albin kit is around £2295 plus installation/fitting £650.

Here is link for Albin kit
http://www.scoobyclinic.com/products_clutches.htm

Jura
Old 05 June 2011, 01:42 AM
scouser321
Scooby Regular

How strange, i was only thinking the same thing the other day.

Im running 330bhp at the moment and was wondering what would be at its limit on a blobeye wrx. I believe the standard clutch and gearbox wont take much more?

To be honest, your better off selling the wrx and putting the 3k towards buying an STi.

I should have done this at the start, instead of now having a wrx that stands me 9.5k after 2 years of ownership.
Old 05 June 2011, 01:42 AM
maydew
Scooby Regular

mates been running 20g front mount induction etc was running 370-380 when last checked still on standard box and engine for over 40k now and cars just hit 100k miles ,he owned since new and been mapped over 300bhp since day one.

enjoy as it is as good all rounder with vf34 even port the headers out run a little more boost 1.5 etc push yours closer to 340-350 if goes pop replace with better if not cash saved

Last edited by maydew; 05 June 2011 at 01:44 AM.
Old 05 June 2011, 01:43 AM
Boosty
Scooby Regular

So that's 6k?! Wow major money. Plus a big turbo to make the most + dyno time etc. Guna be too much for me. So how much would it cost to get my vf34 putting out 350?
I have full decat, remap, vf34, larger injectors etc
Old 05 June 2011, 01:46 AM
maydew
Scooby Regular

do you have sti top mount ,

port the headers and up pipe and up boost to 1.5 ish
Old 05 June 2011, 01:46 AM
Boosty
Scooby Regular

I just love my car, that's the prob. I could imagine in this market they are getting harder to sell... If I found someone with a mental classic sti and a bit of cash I'd look to do a trade etc....
Old 05 June 2011, 01:50 AM
Boosty
Scooby Regular

I got a huge top mount, bigger than the sti one. So what is porting? Just making the tubes bigger? Also where would I have this done and what kinda cost? My car runs at 1.3 for majority then drops back to 1.2 i think...
Old 05 June 2011, 01:55 AM
maydew
Scooby Regular

i would sell the top mount and by the sti one as they fit/seal/cool properly some aftermarket ones are too thick and poor design.

i run vf34 ported header/pump/inj 1.5 bar bar mapped by jgm.

read up on porting headers i done my own easy enough just take your time to do it right.

sometimes more power aint the be all end all.been there and done it and prefer the pleasantness of the usable daily power
Old 05 June 2011, 02:00 AM
Boosty
Scooby Regular

Really? I thought it was about size of intercooler.... Would that really make a huge difference? I don't think I'd wana touch it tbh, last time I did anything like that was my iphone. I broke the glass, tried a diy fit and ended up with it all smashed to bits in pieces lol. Would someone like powerstation rape me through the wallet for some porting??
Old 05 June 2011, 02:08 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

So that's 6k?! Wow major money. Plus a big turbo to make the most + dyno time etc. Guna be too much for me. So how much would it cost to get my vf34 putting out 350?
I have full decat, remap, vf34, larger injectors etc
Its not cheap to do,but i do this...

Really matey if you can't afford do this,enjoy your car 350bhp is still enough.

You are still running 1.3bar and you will need tweak map,which can raise boost up to 1.5-1.6bar.Ported headers and Harvey up pipe will bring your bhp little bit higher and spool will be better too.
FMIC will be next step too

Jura
Old 05 June 2011, 02:19 AM
1000rwhp
Scooby Regular

Hello,

FMIC Should Be the Next Step ,You Running 3inch exhaust System boosty ?

Ali.
Old 05 June 2011, 02:21 AM
Boosty
Scooby Regular

Oh ok, does that not cause lag issues? Yeah 3 inch pipe both cats gone. What sorta cost for a reasonable fmic? Don't need a branded one for names sake
Old 05 June 2011, 02:30 AM
1000rwhp
Scooby Regular

3 inch Obviously What am I thinking LOL, For FMIC Personally i think Your Top Mount Will do Fine ,

Ali,
Old 05 June 2011, 02:32 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Oh ok, does that not cause lag issues? Yeah 3 inch pipe both cats gone. What sorta cost for a reasonable fmic? Don't need a branded one for names sake

Hybrid(HDi) are good and mostly used for high powered cars,but Japspeed is good too,if you are looking under 450bhp.

And don't cause lag,this is just myth,i've tried on mine with VF34 and i never seen any lag at all.

Jura
Old 05 June 2011, 07:17 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

you wont carry 5 speed boxes to that sort of power. people running more than 350 are the exception here not the norm. your gear box will strip cogs faster than a russian hooker
Old 05 June 2011, 08:13 AM
birchy2010
Scooby Regular

6 speed or the albans kit is essential. Mine stripped 2nd gear this week at 320/320
Old 05 June 2011, 10:03 AM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

6 speed is 2.5k well spent,
Old 05 June 2011, 10:03 AM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by scouser321
How strange, i was only thinking the same thing the other day.

Im running 330bhp at the moment and was wondering what would be at its limit on a blobeye wrx. I believe the standard clutch and gearbox wont take much more?

To be honest, your better off selling the wrx and putting the 3k towards buying an STi.

I should have done this at the start, instead of now having a wrx that stands me 9.5k after 2 years of ownership.
I know exactly how you feel..
Old 05 June 2011, 10:06 AM
birchy2010
Scooby Regular

See with my plans i dont agree with running a STI is better than a WRX when modofying.
The only thing mine will be running that belongs to a STI is the 6 speed.
Block and Heads will be from a JDM so bigger valves and stronger crank.
Turbo will be a SC turbo
Brakes will be D2 or Ksport
Aftermarket fuel pump, BC coilovers, FMIC, Flowed WRX injectors to 800.
If your doing it big then it is cheaper to do it to a wrx rather than pay more and do it to an STI. It all depends on your plans and how far you want to go with it.
Old 05 June 2011, 10:38 AM
-shane-
Scooby Regular

I have a Wrx running 334bhp 286ftlb i have done bigger brakes and suspension mods are all done and to me the car feels perfect its quick and at the same time handles really well, I was going to get ported headers to help the torque figure but i don't want the 5 speed to give way untill i have the money for a 6 speed box, When i spoke to Harvey he did say he knows a few wrx running 400bhp on the standard 5 speed box with no problems
Old 05 June 2011, 11:10 AM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

If you have not already done so, it would be useful to consider how you are going to get the best airflow through your top mount if running a larger one. The STI top mount definitely needs the scoop under-tray to enable a big area of the core to be cooled, so by the same token an even bigger one will need to have the air spread across a similar percentage of the core. I've not personally experimented as I don't have the equipment to find a true answer, but I'd imagine that running even an STI top mount with the wrong under-tray will lead to the portion of the I/C running very hot which is going to hinder its function of making the air density increase prior to entering the manifold.

I think your best bet would be get the STI top mount if on a budget and run it with either the correct under-tray or get the Zero sports enhanced flow under-tray.
Old 05 June 2011, 11:15 AM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

im running 351bhp 353ft/lb torque on my 5speed and standard internals sti tmic and suspension mods and bigarf is selling a six speed for £1600 on here good buy for someone
Old 05 June 2011, 12:08 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Five speed clutch fits a six speed box... If it's a good spec. use it !

And I know people killing five speed boxes at 340 bhp and engines at slightly more...

dunx
Old 05 June 2011, 12:11 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by birchy2010
See with my plans i dont agree with running a STI is better than a WRX when modofying.
The only thing mine will be running that belongs to a STI is the 6 speed.
Block and Heads will be from a JDM so bigger valves and stronger crank.
Turbo will be a SC turbo
Brakes will be D2 or Ksport
Aftermarket fuel pump, BC coilovers, FMIC, Flowed WRX injectors to 800.
If your doing it big then it is cheaper to do it to a wrx rather than pay more and do it to an STI. It all depends on your plans and how far you want to go with it.
Fine if you have a plan, or the cash, with respect many buy a WRX as it's what they can afford at the time, THEN decide to upgrade.

IMHO

dunx

P.S. I was happy with my STI as std. for four years, and then decided to change everything.
Old 05 June 2011, 12:18 PM
birchy2010
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
Fine if you have a plan, or the cash, with respect many buy a WRX as it's what they can afford at the time, THEN decide to upgrade.

IMHO

dunx

P.S. I was happy with my STI as std. for four years, and then decided to change everything.
Oh i absolutly agree with you dunx, if someone has got the plans for big power and lots of mods such as those i previously listed before you begin just putting my view that a WRX may be a better starting point as at the end of all of it. It all comes back too what you want out of a car and purely an observation that how many STI's on here now have Ksports, forged builds and BC coilovers etc for example?

Any car, no matter if its classic, newage, wrx, sti or even GX can make any amount of power you want as long as your prepared to spend the money.
Old 05 June 2011, 12:20 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I was into EVo's in a big way when I bought my WRX, I bought it as it was being sold by 'The Car People' who I thought were a fantastic company to buy off at the time. It had the big STI spoiler, quick shift, PPP, exhaust, DV and sounded great. A finished project in my eyes! 3 years ago I thought the only difference between a WRX and STI was higher boost and extra styling, money wasn't a factor.
Nothing could touch my WRX when I got it, it beat everything, Type R's, RX7's, Astra GSI's and even every STI that fancied ago, then I raced an EVO VIII followed by a grandad in a GT2 - I just have to get more mods!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by RS_Matt; 05 June 2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05 June 2011, 07:52 PM
scouser321
Scooby Regular

These people who think people have wrx's because they cant afford an STi need to get off there high horses.

Consider circumstances!

I had never thought twice about getting a subaru until I was offered mine in part ex for my Mondeo ST220.

Nothing to do with not being able to afford the STi. The chance came up and I fancied a change so I took it.

This is just my own path in to scooby ownership.

You people make it sound like wrx owners are paupers

Quick Reply: wrx max potential