ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

FAO Those who've driven the PPP'd STi 7

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2002, 09:27 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

For those lucky/jammy/brown nosed individuals who've driven the PPP'd STI7 how much difference did it actually make?

In my old PPP'd MY00 the PPP made each gear seem like the one lower. 2nd like 1st, 3rd like 2nd etc etc. The largest improvement was the driveability of the car, with loads of torque available from about 1000 revs below that of a standard car. In short it made a fantastic amount of differnce.

So hows the STI 7 PPP compare? I've seen a few comments such as "Got to have it done etc" but i'm looking for something more quantitative rather than subjective.

Opinions anyone??(need to prepare the wife for the news early)
Old 22 April 2002, 07:56 AM
JohnS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Neil,

the car picks up noticeably quicker through the gears, and pulls hard to the red line.

Useful boost seems to come in earlier at about 3,500 rpm, instead of around 4,000.

The lasting impression I have, is that the car seems to pull a lot more smoothly through the revs, without a big surge at 4,000, and then tailing off (struggling) towards the red line.

It also transforms the noise of the car, to very distinctive. I didn't think it sounded too loud outside the car, but apparently it's something they are also looking at. Inside, the car didn't sound much louder than standard.

Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to drive the car on the road, only on track, so spent most of my time above 4,000rpm.

I was very impressed that the PPP car hit the rev limiter in 4th going up a long straight without much effort, whilst the standard cars struggled to get much over 7,000 rpm, with a bit more effort at the hairpin. Probably worth 5 - 8mph on a 1/3 mile uphill straight, possibly a bit more.

Can't say anything on value for money, as the price hasn't been announced yet, but it will certainly be on the Xmas shopping list if the price is right.

John