Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Anyone moved from a classic scoob to an evo5/6?

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2011, 11:42 AM
5parky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone moved from a classic scoob to an evo5/6?

i've had a my99 classic running 330bhp for 2 years..

curiosity about the evo will get the better of me sooner or later, just want to get scoobynets opinions on how they drive and handle compared to the classic scoob.
cheers!
Old 16 May 2011, 12:54 PM
trio
Scooby Regular

Hi mate, ive come from an evo 4 to a v6 sti type-r, the evo 4 is the same chassie/engine as the 5/6 with slightly narrower track, it handled suberbly with the ayc and a few choice handling mods and really inspired confidence to push hard out of corners, it was the first performance car i drove and felt quick in standard form but no match for my tuned type-r, i wish id never sold it to be honest as i never had a problem with it in 3 years and had nothing but trouble from my impreza, id say if its an itch you really need to scratch then go for it, you wont be dissapointed with a evo 5/6.

Tristan
Old 16 May 2011, 01:03 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Haven't owned an Evo 5/6 but drove a 6 a good number of times when I had my Scoob MY99 classic back in days of yore.

To be honest out of the box over a standard classic WRX/STI it's a better car in terms of being quicker at getting from A to B. It is more focused and feels more planted. It inspires confidence even more than the Scoob and that is pretty good in that department.

However my mate who owned the Evo 6 said that after a while the disadvantages get to you. The service intervals, the 180 miles between fill ups, the harshness of the ride and an interior that makes the Scoob Classic's look luxurious and the high insurance.

He said the real difference was you could take the Scoob for a blat and then go shopping in it the next day with your family whereas the Evo was only any good for the former. Reckoned that as a day to day car the Scoob Classic was a better option, but for a weekend toy the Evo was the one to have.

HTH
Old 16 May 2011, 01:48 PM
the hamster
BANNED

this is an interesting read. I have a 337bhp MY00 Classic which my friend drove the other day. He then went out and spend 11k on a 26,000 mile standard Evo 8 GSR, even tho he knows nothing about them, did little research and basically chose it because he thought it would be a better all round car than my toy (i have a work car, the scoob is a play thing). When we asked him what model it was his reply was "an 8" lol.

We warned him that he'd be in for a shock petrol wise and with running costs and should have kept his daily driver SMax TDCi and spend 3-4k on a toy instead. Only time will tell, but I get the feeling he's not going to be pushing the car too much for fear of binning it.

I've not been out in it yet, but would like to compare. It does look better built than the Impreza but its 6 years younger. The interior isnt exactly inspirational and in standard form it sounds like a 2.0 Mondeo! I'll stick with my scoob thanks, and 9 grand difference in the bank.
Old 16 May 2011, 02:02 PM
stuart148
Scooby Regular

i had a classic sti , did a deal on a evo 6 , spent some cash on it , to get it to 350bhp , after 2 months looked at my bank statement and dropped to the floor lol
did a deal on a subaru type r for it

nice car and i would have aother as i only use my car at weekends now

stu
Old 16 May 2011, 02:23 PM
musso2010
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stuart148
i had a classic sti , did a deal on a evo 6 , spent some cash on it , to get it to 350bhp , after 2 months looked at my bank statement and dropped to the floor lol
did a deal on a subaru type r for it

nice car and i would have aother as i only use my car at weekends now

stu
How did it compare to your STi?
Old 16 May 2011, 07:30 PM
dbay
Scooby Regular

i went from an evo 5 gsr to a t2000 and then moved on to a v2 sti ra
the evo's handling is much better in my opinion compared to the scoob, but the scoob had a little more grunt compared to the evo obvoisly all this can be sorted with lots of money so no worries there.

i was paying £1700 fully comp on the evo (a few years ago now) and the following year i was paying £700 fully comp for the t2000. granted the evo is group 20+ and the t2000 group 17 but my ra is group 20+ and im paying less still
Old 16 May 2011, 07:57 PM
deco c
Scooby Regular

I went from a version 6 sti to Evo 6 then back to a subaru again..Actually two scoobys after the evo..As said above point to point the evo is quicker but i found it a bit boring compared to the scooby..Both being standard the scooby feels alot quicker and throws you back in the seat more..especially a Type r..The evo never actually felt that fast..The power delivery is alot smoother and the are very expensive to run..I kep mine for about 6 months and got bored with it.
Old 16 May 2011, 08:10 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Went from Newage scoob to Evo 7 then Evo 6 then back to a classic scoob, Evo handles a lot better then the scooby and gets a lot more attention, but cost of parts and the way the power seems to kick in on the Evo, I prefer the scooby. Always wanted a Evo, but now its out of my system, Id always have a scoob over a Evo.
Old 16 May 2011, 08:24 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Seems strange to me that people say the evo is quicker as they never seem to win when they go head to head
Old 16 May 2011, 08:33 PM
deco c
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Seems strange to me that people say the evo is quicker as they never seem to win when they go head to head

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE7HlxT6OBI
Old 16 May 2011, 09:01 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

I've had 2x5's , 2x6's ,1x7 (that I bought twice) , 1 mak , a 8 fq300 and a 8mr340 (last one)

The 6's and the mak were the only ones that didn't cost money......the rest all caused problems and I cut my losses with them
Suppose it's the same as scoobs.......there's a lot of dogs out there

I've had 6/7 scoobs.....1 gearbox in one , and the p1 cost me a full engine rebuild
Old 16 May 2011, 09:34 PM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtJ00...eature=related
Old 17 May 2011, 10:21 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the vids, i think it's possible to find comparrisions like that where one beats the other although it would have been interesting to see what tiff would be able to do in the p1 as im sure he is the better driver.

Generally speaking the Evo is the more expensive car to buy by some margin, and also alot more to run.

I think an impreza with the extra cash spent on it in mods and it would be a much harder car to beat.

Personally i prefer to drive the car myself rather than have a computer do it for me.

Hence V3 Type r being my choice of weapon
Old 17 May 2011, 10:57 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the vids, i think it's possible to find comparrisions like that where one beats the other although it would have been interesting to see what tiff would be able to do in the p1 as im sure he is the better driver.

Generally speaking the Evo is the more expensive car to buy by some margin, and also alot more to run.

I think an impreza with the extra cash spent on it in mods and it would be a much harder car to beat.

Personally i prefer to drive the car myself rather than have a computer do it for me.

Tiff a better driver?? Nah budd, don't think so ... These guys are still racing in GT class series, JTCC , Mr. keiichi tsuchiya aka drift king hav raced in numerous different races (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keiichi_Tsuchiya)
I'm not saying Tiff is not as good , but deffo not better. I've been following jap series for many years, and the car review shows like Best Motoring, Touge, Hot Version are in a different league comparing to what we have here.

Old 17 May 2011, 11:28 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Think he was saying that Tiff is better than VBH
Old 17 May 2011, 01:36 PM
deco c
Scooby Regular

Agreed!! Take my Type r over an evo 5/6 anyday
Old 17 May 2011, 01:56 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Had a Evo 6 for a few days that i borrowed & i hated it!
Old 17 May 2011, 02:47 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Scratched the itch a few times and will echo the comments above. With 320bhp impreza has punch and feels rapid, Evo is smooth and drama free (maybe a bit dull)

I prefer the impreza as it has more character, do like evo's but when I get one I get excited about buying, love it the first few weeks then I'm looking for an impreza again.
Old 17 May 2011, 03:24 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mantazini
Tiff a better driver?? Nah budd, don't think so ... These guys are still racing in GT class series, JTCC , Mr. keiichi tsuchiya aka drift king hav raced in numerous different races (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keiichi_Tsuchiya)
I'm not saying Tiff is not as good , but deffo not better. I've been following jap series for many years, and the car review shows like Best Motoring, Touge, Hot Version are in a different league comparing to what we have here.

why dont we have best motoring and touge for the UK market. Spent many an hour watching them on youtube. Love em!
Old 17 May 2011, 04:36 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If tiff had been driving the P1 he would have still won, if you look how vicki takes the jump at 5.39 and how tiff takes it at 6.45 you can see he is more agressive
I dont know about the evo 6,but the evo 8 with the AYC does not understeer anything like my mates 55 plate sti does, and on a track day i spent most of the time in the evo 8 in 3wd. I love scoobs ,but if i was gonna change it would be an evo 8.
Quote: from J.Clarkson "to get the best out of an evo ,you have to go beyond the line of where bravery becomes insanity
Old 17 May 2011, 04:59 PM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
Think he was saying that Tiff is better than VBH
Pardon me then....
Old 17 May 2011, 05:22 PM
scoobynelly
Scooby Regular

Although I love my impreza's, I really do ( I have number 49 now, my first wagon lol ) I have also had 3 or 4 Evo 6's, 8 evo 4's, never had a 5 , but I also had an evo 8 FQ 340 MR. In regards to the 2 in comparison, the evo is somewhat more superior. It handles better, has a stronger engine, and being brutally honest, looks better too. ( That's gonna start a war ) However the evo range have major issues that require attention and money. The 4 suffers from serious crank warp, then the 4,5,6 all seem to suffer from AYC pump failure. This can be a £1500 job to replace!

In regards to fuelling, my old 8 was suprisingly good with a 6 speed box, the evo 4 - 6 will drink fuel like it's going out of fashion. Example being of a 6 I recently had was this :

Filled tank up, £70. Drove from Yate, bristol to woolacoombe at 60 - 70mph on no throttle ( I was in a campervan convoy ) journey was 1:30 mins each way. By the time I got 3/4 of way home, needed another £20 in the tank

Was a joke to be honest. Scoobys are way better on fuel and comfortable too. The evo interiors are a little hard, combined with suspension that doesnt move an inch if you bounce up and down on the wings can give you a very uncomfortable journey!

Stay with the scoobs, there a more comfy and economical automobile!! and cheaper to mod too!
Old 17 May 2011, 05:25 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

This is a surprise... who'd have thought that Scoobynet would have people who preferred a Scoob over an Evo
Old 17 May 2011, 07:08 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mantazini
Pardon me then....
consider yourself pardoned
Old 17 May 2011, 08:54 PM
movi-star
Scooby Regular

I had well sorted MY00 Impreza 320BHP, K-Sports, etc etc, sold it and got a 400bhp Evo IX and in my opinion, as I now own neither, the Impreza is the one I prefered.

The Evo did all the performance things the Impreza did, and did them ever so slightly better, but it was not as much fun, after a while I got bored with the Evo, the turbo delivery is too linear, the sound just plain dull. The Impreza has more character more sound, I really miss my old Scoob.

If you have the itch to get one, the Evo 6 would be the one to buy.
Old 18 May 2011, 08:50 AM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
This is a surprise... who'd have thought that Scoobynet would have people who preferred a Scoob over an Evo

Being fair, most of the people expressing a preference have owned both.

Personally I would love an evo 6 but the insurance and fuel consumption put me off. Having driven one I would also agree that I may find it harder to live with than a Scooby due to the harsher suspension and (to me) a lack of character.

Old 18 May 2011, 05:09 PM
Mr moff
Scooby Regular

I had an Evo 3 for nearly 5 years and I picked the 3 because I didn't want AYC.I don't like driving aids.
Last week I picked up a type R and am well impressed so far.
The Evo never died once in the time I had it but I was only averaging around 10mpg and servicing it every 4000miles.
I had Tein super streets on the evo and it did handle slightly better than the type R,but the scooby is a bit quicker.
In all honesty I don't know yet which I prefer.Hopefully in the next couple of months I'll know.
I'll still be servicing every 4000 but the scooby already is better on fuel.

Danny.