Sponsored by:

strange noise any help PLEASE?

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2011, 03:11 PM
irondrew
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange noise any help PLEASE?

Guys/Girls........... Have uploaded a video to the tube so you can get a better idea but basically there is a funny sort of whining noise coming from somewhere. The steering recently has been a bit noisey too so I have checked the fluid levels etc all fine. The radiator seems to be drinking water daily and I keep having to top it up until new one arrives. But this noise today is without the steering column being used at all and does it on cold start up and seems to be there after its warm to. Drives ok no real problems just a noise. Its a 98 Turbo full de cat with DV no other mods. Thanks alot for looking appreciate it............. In the video you can hear the noise better at 12-13 seconds......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPnugekZMn0
Old 06 May 2011, 03:19 PM
sweden
Scooby Regular

umm always hard to diagnose a noise via vid lol, have u taken of the belts and checked that all pulleys/rollers are running smooth and free
Old 06 May 2011, 03:34 PM
irondrew
Scooby Regular

yeah i know videos sometimes dont help! lol but funny you mention the pulleys/rollers because it did cross my mind as it does sort of appear to come from there. I have not taken them apart purely because i dont really know what im doing! i wouldnt wanna make it worse ya know?!
Old 06 May 2011, 04:18 PM
irondrew
Scooby Regular

this sounds a bit like mine... Guy is talking about his mates scooby after the pulley snapped. Does the power steering have anything to do with the pulley/rollers on the front of the engine?

"[report] [news] Tuesday 21st December 2010
TBH i cant see him messing around with braking it for parts, he told me the power steering went heavy which you would expect and it gently slowed down, nothing dramatic not even a miss fire"
Old 06 May 2011, 04:22 PM
irondrew
Scooby Regular

Sorry guys... And this is very close to the noise as well so im thinking this is the problem? If so what do i need to do? Thanks!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXej4...eature=related
Old 06 May 2011, 04:52 PM
sweden
Scooby Regular

hi matey i have no idea how nechaicaly minded you are lol but if you look at front of engine, you are going to remove the black metal guard that is at front of alternator, this will give you easier access to belts etc, ok so you need to remove the belts there will be a tensioner that is putting presure on the belt (sorry havnt got scooby yet so couldnt tell you exactly where) you need to slack it off so that you can remove the belt you can then try to spin the rollers/pulleys by hand they should roll smoothly and have no play in them at all tbh if in doubt replace them also check the alternator turns smoothly as well, hope this helps .)
Old 09 May 2011, 10:21 PM
irondrew
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sweden
hi matey i have no idea how nechaicaly minded you are lol but if you look at front of engine, you are going to remove the black metal guard that is at front of alternator, this will give you easier access to belts etc, ok so you need to remove the belts there will be a tensioner that is putting presure on the belt (sorry havnt got scooby yet so couldnt tell you exactly where) you need to slack it off so that you can remove the belt you can then try to spin the rollers/pulleys by hand they should roll smoothly and have no play in them at all tbh if in doubt replace them also check the alternator turns smoothly as well, hope this helps .)
Dude thanks for the advice.... Found out after a lot of pulling around that the power steering pump has gone so not the worst thing to go wrong. However as I was putting it all back together I noticed water pi**ing out of my now cracked radiator!! Not happy! lol