Sponsored by:

Throwing the towel in I think?

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2011, 08:18 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Throwing the towel in I think?

Out on a spirited drive today and loving it of course until I noticed the temperature rise rather quickly,stopped to check under the bonnet to find my lower radiator hose had burst
Got her back down to my workshop and replaced hose with one kicking around the shop but now after filling and bleeding she's blowing water up through the over flow and running hot with pressure to boot when cap is put on
Think there might be another breaking thread here shortly guys as i just don't have the time with my business being so busy to work on her
Old 30 April 2011, 08:22 PM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ryan mate dont do it !

get it out and have a look bud.
Old 30 April 2011, 08:23 PM
rudi93
Scooby Regular

gutting mate. cant you just put her away until you get some time?
Old 30 April 2011, 08:24 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Time is just something I don't get a lot of these's days Lee,I'm just really pissed about it right now and down in the dumps.
Old 30 April 2011, 08:28 PM
Petersti
Scooby Regular

it always seems darkest before the dawn fella look at it tomorrow im sure you will feel differently
Old 30 April 2011, 08:28 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by prodriverules
Time is just something I don't get a lot of these's days Lee,I'm just really pissed about it right now and down in the dumps.
Ryan stick with it dont give in just yet
Old 30 April 2011, 08:31 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
Ryan stick with it dont give in just yet
Cheers Banny,I know I would regret it but I just hate to think of seeing it every day and not being able to use it,and I don't want to do a rush job because I haven't got any time
Old 30 April 2011, 08:32 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Could be just the thermostat.
Old 30 April 2011, 08:32 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Don't do anything rash. if you can do without the car just leave it for a couple of weeks and then make a decision.

Worst thing would be to make a rash decision, break it and then regret it later.

On the plus side it could just be that you've got an air lock in the cooling system after fitting the new hose. Drain the system and refill it as its not uncommon for it to happen. I've had the same problem after a couple of builds and just turned out to be airlocks.
Old 30 April 2011, 08:39 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
Don't do anything rash. if you can do without the car just leave it for a couple of weeks and then make a decision.

Worst thing would be to make a rash decision, break it and then regret it later.

On the plus side it could just be that you've got an air lock in the cooling system after fitting the new hose. Drain the system and refill it as its not uncommon for it to happen. I've had the same problem after a couple of builds and just turned out to be airlocks.
How do Daz,Vehicles to drive certainly isn't a problem as i currently have 5 other cars lol.
I dropped out and refilled the system 3 times and several runs up the road to see if it was a airlock but to no avail,Its not really bad just yet but its running when stood idling at 98-102 and will rise if left[86-90 before this episode] with bubbles in the over flow so I think it just pipped the gasket tbho.
Old 30 April 2011, 08:56 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chopperman
Could be just the thermostat.
The thermostat is virtually brand new mate and a genuine subaru one!
Old 30 April 2011, 08:59 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriverules
The thermostat is virtually brand new mate and a genuine subaru one!
Worth a check tho. bung in in a bowl of boiling water and see if it opens. Rare but not unheard of for a new part to be faulty. If not get a sniff test. good luck.
Old 30 April 2011, 09:07 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chopperman
Worth a check tho. bung in in a bowl of boiling water and see if it opens. Rare but not unheard of for a new part to be faulty. If not get a sniff test. good luck.
Done the boiling water test which saw the stat open as it should,BUT i also did a sniff test which I couldn't make my mind up if the colour had slightly changed or not which is why I think it has only slightly gone at this point.
Old 30 April 2011, 09:31 PM
TheVoices
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Hang onto that towel !

I have nearly given up on my car on several occasions, leave it alone and chill for a few days then take another look.

All the best dude !
Old 30 April 2011, 09:35 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rebuild it with a bullet-proof bottom end, we both know the man to do it
Old 30 April 2011, 09:46 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
Rebuild it with a bullet-proof bottom end, we both know the man to do it
Alright Jon,The bottom end is already bomb proof mate as i forged it with wiseco pistons/H-section rods/ACL race bearings only 2.3k miles ago with cometic gaskets/ARP heads studs the works which is why I'm so pissed to have a hose burst,it looks like it had been rubbing on the FMIC pipe that runs along side it
Old 30 April 2011, 09:49 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too late to bin it then, may as well take some time out and sort once you've had a few beers to mull over what you want to do, AVCS heads, wild cams etc

PS. There's a PM on the way soon
Old 30 April 2011, 09:55 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
Too late to bin it then, may as well take some time out and sort once you've had a few beers to mull over what you want to do, AVCS heads, wild cams etc

PS. There's a PM on the way soon
I'll be honest Ive already got some funky heads with cams lined up but haven't been able to make my mind up what to do but with work so busy I've been holding it off and was considering not bothering but I might just bite the bullet and dive in lol.
I've been wanting to concentrate on the outside tbho as the engine WAS behaving so well and I've been happy with how DID go lol but hay ho such is life I guess.
When ever your ready mate
Old 30 April 2011, 11:06 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Was going to say if you haven't already got wild cams for AVCS heads don't bother getting any. I made 600bhp on standard wrx cams. Although they were preventing anymore power being had at that level it shows they can cope upto that level. Unless of course you're planning to go beyond that in which case you'll need some
Old 01 May 2011, 12:31 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Real shame fella

TX.
Old 01 May 2011, 08:06 AM
B4D HK
Scooby Senior

Park her up, (sorn her if needed) and come back to it another day
Old 01 May 2011, 08:57 AM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

sorry to hear that fella, it can be so disheartening eh, sometimes they seem so fragile, but seems like you have put alot of time and effort already in ot the bottom end, and i think i would keep and re-do when time allows.

600bhp on standard wrx cams daz!! wow did.int think that was possible
Old 01 May 2011, 11:12 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Don't break it Ryan. I nearly broke mine, it was laid up for three months before it went to Harvey, now I love it again.
Old 01 May 2011, 11:22 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi Ryan really don't do it,will be shame seen another car be breaking,re-think this decision and look on this decision from other point of view..

Good luck Ryan

Jura
Old 01 May 2011, 03:19 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

wooh!! Dont do it ryan!! what about the nurburg trip in a month? lets me know if you could do with an extra pair of hands
Old 01 May 2011, 03:33 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comments guys I'm still in 2 minds as what to do,if it gets done I may consider rotated conversion with one of the billet range but I'll think on it for now.
Old 01 May 2011, 03:45 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

My headgasket went last night and ive been feeling exactly the same today mate, got a busy month with a trip to the ring at the end and really didnt need it at the moment... but theres no way im giving up on the old girl yet

Dont give up yet mate

James

Last edited by Anger; 01 May 2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01 May 2011, 04:07 PM
scoobiesteve103
Scooby Regular

mate there to meny scoobies being broken so dont do it ,if u want a sob story check this out.
last june my head gasket went so took her to the garage.they left the engine out of the car on its side till december and the piston ring dropped scorring the cylinders and killing the crank (thats how i was told) any way i bought a new engine in feb that i heard running at idle so i snapped it up had it out and took it to the garage .thay fitted it 3 weeks ago then called me saying it wouldnt start so i had a mate who plays with scoobs go take a look and the bottom end has gone againit was my fault as i didnt make sure first.i was soooo pissed i was about to give up and sell her for braking .thing is my younger sister passed away last month and she never gave up on anything in her whole life so ive now taken that on board and i will try my best to be the same but within 24 hrs ive bought a 2004 sti engine with 98 type r heads with a bit of port and polishing ready to fit for a grand so the moral of the story is dont ever give up.
Old 01 May 2011, 04:09 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Anger
My headgasket went last night and ive been feeling exactly the same today mate, got a busy month with a trip to the ring at the end and really didnt need it at the moment... but theres no way im giving up on the old girl yet

Dont give up yet mate

James
There's a coincidence then James,how did yours go mate?
Really gets me down to think about it right now which is why I'm considering breaking her.
Old 01 May 2011, 04:12 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobiesteve103
mate there to meny scoobies being broken so dont do it ,if u want a sob story check this out.
last june my head gasket went so took her to the garage.they left the engine out of the car on its side till december and the piston ring dropped scorring the cylinders and killing the crank (thats how i was told) any way i bought a new engine in feb that i heard running at idle so i snapped it up had it out and took it to the garage .thay fitted it 3 weeks ago then called me saying it wouldnt start so i had a mate who plays with scoobs go take a look and the bottom end has gone againit was my fault as i didnt make sure first.i was soooo pissed i was about to give up and sell her for braking .thing is my younger sister passed away last month and she never gave up on anything in her whole life so ive now taken that on board and i will try my best to be the same but within 24 hrs ive bought a 2004 sti engine with 98 type r heads with a bit of port and polishing ready to fit for a grand so the moral of the story is dont ever give up.
WOW that is a journey of anger and sorrow there mate and rather expensive I should imagine,I hope the engine you've just brought go's ok for you now mate

Quick Reply: Throwing the towel in I think?