ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

new and looking for buying advice on 2 cars

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2011, 09:15 AM
asty
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new and looking for buying advice on 2 cars

Hi , will be selling the work diesel soon and looking to get another performance car , i have aowned all sorts but never had one of these so was hopeing for some buying advice and price .

this one is really top end of my budget 2004 Subaru Impreza 2.0 Turbo WRX STi

or maybe this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

any views on price etc , and what to look for would be great thanks

Last edited by asty; 26 April 2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 26 April 2011, 10:38 AM
dantastic
Scooby Regular

The first one is the one to go for, by the looks of it, its a imported JDM sti 05 model on a 54 plate so will have wider track twin scroll turbo DCCD ect and is a much better spec than the uk equivalent, not a bad price for a JDM sti either,
make sure its not burning any oil (bluish/grey smoke from exhaust) knocking rear struts are a common problem, so listen for knocking (its more noticeable when doing about 10mph)
as with any car check the service history to see that its been serviced as per servicing schedule (cam belt ect)
head gaskets can be a problem so check for all the usual signs, look for any signs of accident damage and most important of all if for any reason you have doubts about any car walk away there are plenty more out there, hope this helps.

regards
Danny

Last edited by dantastic; 26 April 2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 26 April 2011, 12:17 PM
asty
Scooby Newbie

brilliant thanks for help danny , love the look of your one they look great in white
Old 26 April 2011, 12:35 PM
dantastic
Scooby Regular

No problem mate, i see you have removed the link to the JDM sti, (shrewed move) you don't want to loose out to anyone else if its a good one, hopefully it is and you get it, good luck in finding the right car.
Old 26 April 2011, 12:56 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Oh yes, everyone is queing up to buy a jdm sti. I look daily at jdm sti's on Pistonheads and there has been no change to the cars for sale for the past 6 weeks, other than than the addition of an 05 sti, which says 1 owner, but the person selling it doesn't even know WHO did the service history and WHEN the services were done.......says he has to ''check the book''. Doesn't get any worse than that!
Old 26 April 2011, 01:17 PM
dantastic
Scooby Regular

I'm not saying people are queuing to buy jdm sti's or any other car for that matter, but the op is in the market looking to buy a Subaru, and the fact is the jdm version is a better spec car than the uk version so would be the one to go for out of the two the op was looking at.
Old 26 April 2011, 01:27 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Sorry, it's just the sentence regarding him 'removing the link being a shrewd move so as not to lose out on it' I perceived as there maybe a demand out there for jdm cars. (which I don't believe there is), that's all!

I only drive a jdm car.
Old 26 April 2011, 01:41 PM
dantastic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GREGGYG
Sorry, it's just the sentence regarding him 'removing the link being a shrewd move so as not to lose out on it' I perceived as there maybe a demand out there for jdm cars. (which I don't believe there is), that's all!

I only drive a jdm car.
Ah see what you mean, the jdm was £6995 which i think is a bloody good price for a late 2004 on a 54 making it the 2005 model the one with the wider track ect, so at that price i cant see that one being for sale for very long, hence the (shrewed) remark with regards to the link removal, and its jdm for me too mate.
Old 26 April 2011, 02:58 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That the black one with 30ish k on the clock? 2004 model.

Tony
Old 26 April 2011, 04:48 PM
asty
Scooby Newbie

At 85k miles would I be looking at cambelt change or any over major service items

Thanks
Old 26 April 2011, 05:13 PM
dantastic
Scooby Regular

Cambelt should have already been done, normally at 5 years/50.000 miles so should show up in the service history as having been done, wouldnt hurt to check wether it had the full cambelt kit fitted or just the belt only, although to be honest if it were me buying a Subaru with 85.000 miles on the clock i would for my own peice of mind have a new cambelt kit fitted at its next service, but that would just be me being cautious.
Old 26 April 2011, 05:19 PM
asty
Scooby Newbie

yeah i was thinking of second cambelt and tensioners etc at 90k , is it about 250 for parts and 4 or 5 hour job ?

thanks
Old 26 April 2011, 05:28 PM
dantastic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns

Tony
Where did you see that one Tony? if you could put a link up that would be great.
Old 26 April 2011, 05:42 PM
asty
Scooby Newbie

Tony
sounds good do ya have a link for it ?
Old 27 April 2011, 05:16 PM
asty
Scooby Newbie

well went and had a look and a drive of this today http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Subaru-Impreza...50200320285891 and wasnt overly impresed seemed to drive ok but wasnt what i would say super fast and hasnt got any service history at all since 45k miles now on 86k and the gears seemed very notchy, and there was astrange noise coming from the passanger side rear wheel area , then when i asked what warrantey i would get he said none , its just sold as seen it was very shiney tho , one thing i would say is the seats were great
Old 27 April 2011, 06:00 PM
Cempa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by asty
well went and had a look and a drive of this today http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Subaru-Impreza...50200320285891 and wasnt overly impresed seemed to drive ok but wasnt what i would say super fast and hasnt got any service history at all since 45k miles now on 86k and the gears seemed very notchy, and there was astrange noise coming from the passanger side rear wheel area , then when i asked what warrantey i would get he said none , its just sold as seen it was very shiney tho , one thing i would say is the seats were great
defo sounds like one to walk away from. looks nice in the pics though
Old 27 April 2011, 06:19 PM
dantastic
Scooby Regular

That's a shame that one looked nice, still as i said there are plenty out there just take your time and I'm sure you will find the right one for you in the end, as for the dealer selling that one, cant believe they are selling it with no warranty i thought dealers were obliged by law to give a minimum 3 months warranty these days.
Old 27 April 2011, 06:32 PM
asty
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by dantastic
That's a shame that one looked nice, still as i said there are plenty out there just take your time and I'm sure you will find the right one for you in the end, as for the dealer selling that one, cant believe they are selling it with no warranty i thought dealers were obliged by law to give a minimum 3 months warranty these days.
yeah i thought the same thing mate , it was hard to walk away , the last service that was done at 47k cost £2400 there was allsorts on it , and i didnt want to end up with a bill like that
Old 27 April 2011, 06:41 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

It was cheap for a reason.At least you didn't just see the STI badge and go weak at the knees. Keep looking and you will find. Best of luck
Old 27 April 2011, 07:16 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Smile

Where did you see that one Tony? if you could put a link up that would be great.

sounds good do ya have a link for it ?
If I find it again I shall put the link up

Tony
Old 27 April 2011, 08:02 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Still cant find that black one was about 2 weeks back so may have gone, but there is this one thats worth looking at
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2686274.htm

Tony
Old 27 April 2011, 10:00 PM
Gary WRX
Scooby Regular

Still cant find that black one was about 2 weeks back so may have gone, but there is this one thats worth looking at

Tony
Wow that looks a minter! I wasn't planning on upgrading to an STI just yet but must say I'm tempted!
Old 28 April 2011, 12:53 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Add this one to the other
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2746073.htm

Tony
Old 28 April 2011, 08:24 AM
Gary WRX
Scooby Regular

There are some unbeleivable bargains out there its such ashame I have a WRX at the moment which seem to be very difficult to sell!
Old 28 April 2011, 02:09 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are covered by the Sale of Goods act so if they are a registered trader you will be covered. I had to threaten the dealer I bought from last November with a small claims case but in the end he paid up.

That said in situations where they don't offer a warranty and seem a bit standoffish that way, the advice would be don't buy.
Old 28 April 2011, 05:37 PM
dantastic
Scooby Regular

Nice cars Tony unfortunately i think the op's budget was around 7k max, mind you the way things are going (fuel prices etc) forcing owners to sell up, I'm sure he will find a good one in his price range soon.
Old 28 April 2011, 09:29 PM
asty
Scooby Newbie

Nice cars Tony unfortunately i think the op's budget was around 7k max, mind you the way things are going (fuel prices etc) forcing owners to sell up, I'm sure he will find a good one in his price range soon.
Yeah ya right mate , a little out of budget unless i wait a couple more months and then maybe the prices will drop even more and ill have a few more £ to spend , i cant beleave how much the prices have droped over the last year or so , its sad really