Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air con woes - what would Jesus, or er, you do?

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2011, 10:04 AM
SkydiveMacca
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air con woes - what would Jesus, or er, you do?

In this recent hot weather I decided to whack on the air con on my bug. Nadda. Not remotely cold.

Decided to get a re-charge as figured all the gas must have leaked out - odd as it was only recharged 7 months ago, but gave it a go anyway.

Took it to the main dealer as they were the same price as the fast fits, and are much friendlier.

As suspected, no gas. Filled it up, and there were no leaks. Odd. The only explanation is when the clutch was changed and the garage took the engine out, they must have somehow opened the system and let it all out. Worrying as I don't think it's particularly nice stuf.

Anyhow, air con on and no worky. The pimp has seized and is no longer working.

Subaru said it was a £300 part plus labour

However, they had a newage engine in that had a blown head gasket that they were robbing parts from (the previous owner got a new engine and didn't want the old one), so offered me the pump from that for £100. They think they should be able to fit it within an hour, so £75 labour (ouch) and wouldn't charge me to drain the system and re-gas.

Having driven around the last couple of days without it, I know I need it back!

I'd do the work myself if it wasn't for re gas side of things.

Does this spun like a rip off, or a good price? Are there any other options?

Thanks!
Old 24 April 2011, 10:08 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

The only confusing thing to me is why is the air con pump on this guy's old engine. Generally when a dealer or anyone fits a new engine the aircon pump would be transplanted from the old to the new... it isn't part of the engine!!! Sounds weird to me, but prices seem OK.

Having said that if they drained your system when they did your clutch aren't they at least part way responsible for the pump having seized anyway?
Old 24 April 2011, 10:09 AM
Matt2732
Scooby Regular

Buy a seconhand pump from a breakers, fit yourself then pay for the re-gas?
Trouble is secondhand parts are always just that, secondhand!

Myself, I'd just wind the window down!
Old 24 April 2011, 10:22 AM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I paid £250 for my air con removing!
Old 24 April 2011, 10:37 AM
EH52WRX
Scooby Regular

I am removing my air con pump, if you would like to purchase it off me. You can PM me.
Old 24 April 2011, 10:43 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Why do people remove their air-con?

I mean, fair enough if you're racing and you need to shave .05secs off your lap time or something but come on! A lot of people seem to do it on road cars? I just don't get it, it's so hot at the moment and it's a must for me on days like yesterday when I get back in the car with the family and it's roasting.

But then again I guess people that remove it might just be 'northerners' so you're probably better off selling it and investing in a new jumper anyway
Old 24 April 2011, 10:48 AM
EH52WRX
Scooby Regular

Have you ever thought it could be that i am reversing my inlet manifold, so the air con has to go. You narrow minded Southern tw$t LOL.

Trending Topics

Old 24 April 2011, 10:52 AM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jameswrx
Why do people remove their air-con?

I mean, fair enough if you're racing and you need to shave .05secs off your lap time or something but come on! A lot of people seem to do it on road cars? I just don't get it, it's so hot at the moment and it's a must for me on days like yesterday when I get back in the car with the family and it's roasting.

But then again I guess people that remove it might just be 'northerners' so you're probably better off selling it and investing in a new jumper anyway
It was 24c average in the uk yesterday but only 20c for us in Arctic Yorkshire. And at 140.9 per litre I aint using it. When it's hot the windows always come down to hear the nurspec and air-con doesn't work as good with them down.
Old 24 April 2011, 11:02 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Yep, I too like to hear the noise.

Only went wrong on me once: on a French autoroute at 90 or so, rear windows down, the wind and engine/exhaust noises drowned out the noises of my Defi warnings...........
Old 24 April 2011, 11:06 AM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Lol, you have to be Charles Bronson to drive with the windows down at that speed. I find the normal blowers are getting back on song over 70 not that I go past such speeds much. I'm not PC either, once I hear the boost on the motorway in 5th creeping up on me I cringe at the cost.
Old 24 April 2011, 11:10 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

My A/C pump is also on it's way out but I'll be replacing it not junking it - fuel economy is not an issue - the A/C will use far less fuel than driving with windows open does!

Only reason I toyed with removing the A/C was to make it easier to fit the oil cooler! If you're that worried about weight do you fill you tank to the brim each time? Run with the screen wash at minimum? Make sure all the glove box etc. is empty? Take out the back/passenger seat if you don't have passengers?
Old 24 April 2011, 11:15 AM
stuart148
Scooby Regular

iv got a air con pump off my p1 sat doing nothing £35 posted if you want it ??

stu
Old 24 April 2011, 11:18 AM
EH52WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlueBugEye
My A/C pump is also on it's way out but I'll be replacing it not junking it - fuel economy is not an issue - the A/C will use far less fuel than driving with windows open does!

Only reason I toyed with removing the A/C was to make it easier to fit the oil cooler! If you're that worried about weight do you fill you tank to the brim each time? Run with the screen wash at minimum? Make sure all the glove box etc. is empty? Take out the back/passenger seat if you don't have passengers?
I have heard some stupid things on here, but yours takes the biscuit.

A/C uses shed loads of fuel.

And " I AM NOT TAKING IT OUT TO SAVE WEIGHT "

I am removing it to reverse my inlet manifold....
Old 24 April 2011, 11:21 AM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Lol and a standard WRX beats an sti from the lights!
Old 24 April 2011, 11:22 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EH52WRX
Have you ever thought it could be that i am reversing my inlet manifold, so the air con has to go. You narrow minded Southern tw$t LOL.

Sorry, should have thought of that! The old reversing the inlet manifold, another racing modification shaving 0.00005 secs off spool time for a load of messing around well worth loosing the air-con for my bad
Old 24 April 2011, 11:27 AM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Take out the back/passenger seat if you don't have passengers?
No rear seats or belts in mine.

Air con went in the bin years ago.
Old 24 April 2011, 11:27 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Check the fuel economy research, Driving with open windows actually increases fuel consumption a massive amount as the aerodynamics of the car are greatly compromised.

Reversing inlet is a good idea to reduce lag by an inperceptable amount however not worth it imho unless you are creating a pure track toy, as I have a 4 year old and a wife no A/C is definitely a downside - I'm quite happy with the boost response on my 2.5 thank you!
Old 24 April 2011, 11:30 AM
EH52WRX
Scooby Regular

Sorry, should have thought of that! The old reversing the inlet manifold, another racing modification shaving 0.00005 secs off spool time for a load of messing around well worth loosing the air-con for my bad
I would rather have no air con, than to run FMIC pipes all over the engine bay. End of, It looks a lot better. IMO. Nothing more, Nothing less. So get over it James.
Old 24 April 2011, 11:32 AM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Check the fuel economy research, Driving with open windows actually increases fuel consumption a massive amount as the aerodynamics of the car are greatly compromised.

Reversing inlet is a good idea to reduce lag by an inperceptable amount however not worth it imho unless you are creating a pure track toy, as I have a 4 year old and a wife no A/C is definitely a downside - I'm quite happy with the boost response on my 2.5 thank you!
At what speeds does window drag become an issue? they say its about 100mph with spoliers splitters etc. I ain't ever got near those heady speeds.
Old 24 April 2011, 11:36 AM
SkydiveMacca
Scooby Regular

As confirmed on radio 2 (therefore it must be true) under 30 and it's better to have the windows down, over thirty and the A/C is better in terms of fuel consumption.
Old 24 April 2011, 11:38 AM
EH52WRX
Scooby Regular

Oh and another thing gadjay, i am going to be running a twisted setup as well. OK Bawbag LOL
Old 24 April 2011, 11:56 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Oh and another thing gadjay, i am going to be running a twisted setup as well. OK Bawbag LOL
To be fair I wasn't refering to people like you who are going the whole hog with tuning but more the people that have pretty stock'ish cars that ditch it just becasue it's saving weight or something. I've seen many posts on here over the years where people have put threads in members gallery showing their air-con compressor now missing from the engine bay of their 280bhp wrx with 18" overweight cheap alloys! It just makes little sense on a car like that IMO. I can fully understand it on the tuners cars where they need the space and weight saving etc.

Not quite sure why you have to start with personal insults it's just my opinion, it is after all a discussion forum.
Old 24 April 2011, 12:00 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

lol irony Jimmy!

I really can't believe 30mph! It's like someone hitting the car with an air-dryer!
Old 24 April 2011, 12:09 PM
EH52WRX
Scooby Regular

James it was the northern comment, that did it for me.
Old 24 April 2011, 12:30 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Ah well, was supposed to be a joke hence the laughing smiley, hardly cut throat racism was it

Anyway, i might not be totally off the mark... It's a fact that the temps on average are higher in the south, so if I was somewhere in north of england where it was 22 deg I wouldn't be using air-con. On that same day it'd usually be a few degrees hotter in the south east which would probably require the use of air-con for comfort of my family

It's my mum and dad I feel sorry for, they live in co. Kerry in southern Ireland.. Spoke to them this morning and it was grey and drizzling! Seems strange when it's been so hot down in the south east for so long. Mind you, they don't get the crazy traffic and they get to have the 'ring of kerry' as their surroundings.
Old 24 April 2011, 12:32 PM
EH52WRX
Scooby Regular

Mine to gadjay LOL See i was tooooooooo take a chill pill
Old 24 April 2011, 12:42 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

To be honest I've never heard that gadjay word before..

A quick look on google shows that you're a Romany Gypsy and refering to me as gadjay, ie meaning non gypsy
Old 24 April 2011, 12:47 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A local to me phrase is Gadgie, meaning a bloke. Geordie phrase mind, nowt to do with them north of the border.
Old 24 April 2011, 01:32 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Chill pill folks and have some chicken Parmo.
Old 24 April 2011, 01:45 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by RS_Matt
Chill pill folks and have some chicken Parmo.
Have some salad, no point junking your air con and then sticking a spare tyre round your middle!

Quick Reply: Air con woes - what would Jesus, or er, you do?