Sponsored by:

Newbie after a Scoobie

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2011, 12:49 PM
trickster007
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie after a Scoobie

Firstly hi to everyone. I am looking to buy a Scoobie in the next 6-12 months or so, and as i want to really want to get something a bit special i am starting my research early!

I am sorry if this is a regular question but i'd be interested in any / all advice on what model STI to go for in my circumstances (as although i've doen some reading i am still a little confused on the differences between the various STI models). My budget will be in the £10-15k range, insurance is not an issue, and I have the following criteria:
  • Car must be standard or no visible mods (I will be registering the car in Germany where i currently work and where the rules are very strict about modifications)
  • I am looking for as low mileage / as new as possible for my budget
  • Full service history
  • I prefer blue and saloon model but would consider others
Grateful for all ideas / recommendations / anything else i should be looking out for.....

I'd also be interested in views on the following.
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2629486.htm
Looks awesome to me but i've no idea really!!

Thanks
Old 13 April 2011, 01:30 PM
topman2180
Scooby Regular

that car has powerstation performance upgrade someone will be along soon to tell you what that is but its makes that car non standard i believe,

Welcome to the forums the knowledge will be along soon to tell you what to buy and expect to here the word JDM alot from now on in.
Old 13 April 2011, 02:16 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

It does not say which Powerstation Performance upgrade, they have chassis and engine. Looking at the advert it looks like a remap but not the supporting mods.

http://www.powerstation.org.uk/subaru_tuning.asp

http://www.powerstation.org.uk/subaru_chassis.asp

You'll need lights as well for TuV/BFG and the Rear Fog light needs changing over.
Old 13 April 2011, 02:32 PM
trickster007
Scooby Newbie

^^^ Thanks for the above.

I assume if it is just a remap then it would probably be okay for the TuV ??
Old 13 April 2011, 02:38 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Hi Trickster,

If you go onto Pistonheads, do a search and then enter 'jdm' under 'search in titles', there's a nice blue hawkeye there for £13995, yes its a couple of years older than the car in the link you've posted, and you will have significantly more enjoyment from this particular car. The 2.0 jdm engine is a better unit anyday than the 2.5 uk engine.

So, my suggestion is to go for a jdm car as opposed to a uk spec car.

Greg
Old 13 April 2011, 02:46 PM
trickster007
Scooby Newbie

Hi Greg, thanks for that ^^^ it looks nice! Do you know if that advert is a standard spec? If so i assume it should come with a CoC document (Certificate of conformity i think).

I have found in the past that it is hardwork putting a car through the German TuV (MoT) system (in order to register it) without a CoC document.

Thanks for all help
Old 13 April 2011, 09:06 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

It appears to be a standard car apart from an exhaust and remap for UK fuel. As it's a jdm (Japanese Domestic Model), it will be made for 100 octane fuel which is unavailable here in the UK, so would need a remap, butI would certainly think it's available in Germany (it is in Austria, Shell V-Power 100).

It's very rare to have a jdm car remapped on a standard factory exhaust as this is seen as a waste of money, hence the exhaust upgrade also. It will have been SVA'd upon entry to the UK and have the necessary documentation. Mine has, and it's a 2005 jdm sti, but the previous blobeye version.

That's a good price for a jdm hawkeye sti. They are very rare, and can be very expensive to buy and import yourself from a Japanese auction. The person who is advertising that car is a regular member on here. Maybe you could call him and talk to him about that car.

Greg
Old 15 April 2011, 11:02 AM
trickster007
Scooby Newbie

Hi, thanks for the advice above.

I am now very interested in a JDM although in no rush to buy. I see there is also a Spec C version of the JDM available, although a couple of grand over my original budget for a similar age/mileage car as the one mentioned above. How do people rate them? Is it worth stretching for the extra cash?

Grateful for all views/recommendations.