Sponsored by:

Wrapped headers & up pipe

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2011, 07:34 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Wrapped headers & up pipe

As the title what are the benifits over standard, what improvement would i see on my v3 type r running a vf34. i only ask as im having a symtek fitted soon and wondered if it was worth doing this as well also whats the cost as id like to know bhp per buck so to speak.
Old 10 April 2011, 08:18 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Anything that gets underbonnet temperatures down is worthwhile, especially if you run an induction kit or a TMIC.
Old 10 April 2011, 11:02 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to PM Harvey he will give you all the info you need.
You should look into having the standard headers ported and wrapped and a matched up pipe to suit your mods, I think you will find more boost and early spool with power increase, But you will need a map tweak.
Old 11 April 2011, 07:00 AM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Make sure it's the good wrap though mate not cheap crap
Old 11 April 2011, 01:56 PM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
As the title what are the benifits over standard, what improvement would i see on my v3 type r running a vf34.
Nothing you'd notice from the drivers seat regardless of what anyone says.
Old 11 April 2011, 08:01 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jonto: You are talking rubbish. I have never sold anybody a set of ported headers and matched uppipe that has not been impressed with the gains they have achieved. I have developed my porting and matched uppipe using a flow bench and there is absolutely no doubt that my ported headers and matched uppipe add torque, earlier spool and increased boost at the same wastegate duty cycle or the same boost at reduced wastegate duty cycle and hence less heat.
Mappers such as Bob Rawle will also confirm that during remapping more fuel has to be added and this is indicative of more power.
Clearly Jonto you have never had a set of my headers and matched uppipe but many people on here can attest to the improvements they experienced.
I only use DEI heat wrap and we have header sets wrapped three years ago that are still in good order.
Old 11 April 2011, 11:23 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Harvey in Jonto's defence and reading the OP again I wonder if the op is regarding to just wrapping the headers and up pipe not ported or matched

Trending Topics

Old 12 April 2011, 08:15 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Hi Gonzo: Wrapping the headers and uppipe actually does make a difference and I have demonstrated this a number of times. Heat is retained in the turbo and header system.
If a car is run on a level piece of road several times in both directions in say 4th gear from around 1700 rpm and the point at which hits 1 bar is logged and the headers are then wrapped you will find that typically it can take say 5 or 6 runs before the spool point stabilizes on the unwrapped headers. When the headers are wrapped it may take 3 runs and the spool point may be marginally less. When you actually want to start giving the car the beans you are starting froma higher turbo temperature anyhow.
There is also the benefit of reduced under bonnet temperature that I cannot exactly quantify but I have done experiments and can prove that under bonnet temperatures are reduced (even more so when the turbo exhaust side and downpipe are wrapped).
Old 12 April 2011, 10:45 AM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
Hi Gonzo: Wrapping the headers and uppipe actually does make a difference and I have demonstrated this a number of times. Heat is retained in the turbo and header system.
If a car is run on a level piece of road several times in both directions in say 4th gear from around 1700 rpm and the point at which hits 1 bar is logged and the headers are then wrapped you will find that typically it can take say 5 or 6 runs before the spool point stabilizes on the unwrapped headers. When the headers are wrapped it may take 3 runs and the spool point may be marginally less. When you actually want to start giving the car the beans you are starting froma higher turbo temperature anyhow.
There is also the benefit of reduced under bonnet temperature that I cannot exactly quantify but I have done experiments and can prove that under bonnet temperatures are reduced (even more so when the turbo exhaust side and downpipe are wrapped).

Gonzo is right, i was referring to JUST wrapping them and feeling the effects from JUST wrapping them from the drivers seat. Not on a dyno, or RR where it shows a 0.5bhp increase or under lab like test conditions.

But hey, i haven't got a product to sell.
Old 12 April 2011, 10:53 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Tsk! I've known Harvey for some time, and honest he is!
he wouldn't say something just to sell a product, what he WILL tell you is what he has found out BY investigation on REAL cars.
Old 12 April 2011, 11:07 AM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Tsk! I've known Harvey for some time, and honest he is!
he wouldn't say something just to sell a product, what he WILL tell you is what he has found out BY investigation on REAL cars.
I'm not saying he is dishonest, nor am I saying that wrapped headers etc do not have benefits.

What I am saying is that you'd never notice the difference from the driver's seat. Ie. Take two identical cars, one with wrapped headers, one without.......and then drive them both from A to B. I bet 99% of people wouldn't be able to tell which car had wrapped headers and which didn't.
Old 12 April 2011, 12:39 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

What are you guys talking about when you say 'headers', do you mean 'manifolds'..
Old 12 April 2011, 12:41 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Also, I have GT Spec S/S manifold on my car from Lateral which he wrapped. Have I made a boo boo buying that over one of Harvey's..
Old 12 April 2011, 01:27 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonto
I'm not saying he is dishonest, nor am I saying that wrapped headers etc do not have benefits.

What I am saying is that you'd never notice the difference from the driver's seat. Ie. Take two identical cars, one with wrapped headers, one without.......and then drive them both from A to B. I bet 99% of people wouldn't be able to tell which car had wrapped headers and which didn't.

OK, I understand that, it was the comment about you not having a product to sell which I took umbrage at.

Let's leave ity at that, eh?
Old 12 April 2011, 01:29 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
Also, I have GT Spec S/S manifold on my car from Lateral which he wrapped. Have I made a boo boo buying that over one of Harvey's..
Yes, headers=manifold.

No, you should be fine with stuff from Mark at Lateral. Harvey DOES make a great job of porting both OE and aftermarket headers, though, and matching them to the up-pipe to give better and ealier spool.
Old 12 April 2011, 01:37 PM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

OK, I understand that, it was the comment about you not having a product to sell which I took umbrage at.

Let's leave ity at that, eh?

To be fair, i don't see what it's got to do with you really as it was dialogue between me and Harvey. You could atleast let the lad fight his own battles!

Or, maybe I'd best get one of my mates to join in and take umbrage at him telling me i talk rubbish when infact he just misinterpreted what i'd said.
Old 12 April 2011, 01:56 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Why call them 'headers' then, surely they are called 'manifold'. I'm confused.
Old 12 April 2011, 06:36 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Manifold is old school man
Old 12 April 2011, 07:33 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Exhaust Manifold
Headers is the newfangled Yanky term for them, which most of us on Snet use these days.
Old 12 April 2011, 07:39 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Gonzo is right, i was referring to JUST wrapping them and feeling the effects from JUST wrapping them from the drivers seat. Not on a dyno, or RR where it shows a 0.5bhp increase or under lab like test conditions.

But hey, i haven't got a product to sell.
I find your last sentence totally unsatisfactory. You are inferring that my post is influenced by commercial consideration when I am simply stating the facts. If you do not recognise my post as a statement of fact you clearly have little understanding of how a turbo charged engine works and you clearly have not done back to back tests. Thermal management on any turbocharged engine is an important consideration when improving performance and the headers and uppipe play an important part in that equation.

Not on a dyno, or RR where it shows a 0.5bhp increase or under lab like test conditions.
At no time did I say there would be an increase in bhp. I think there may be a slight increase but that is not the point of the post and that is not what I am saying. Read what I said again. With heat management the turbo will spool earlier and in many cases quite noticably so. If you want to criticise what I said just stick with what I did say instead of introducing .5 bhp. Unfortunately for you any interested party can repeat these spooling tests and demonstrate you don't know what you are talking about.
Have a different view by all means but do not call my integrity into question. Fortunately any interested Subaru owner can do the same before and after test I describe in my post above and draw their own conclusions. Providing quality wrap is applied properly they will make the same observations I reported.
I am not trying to sell a product. I am stating what the effect of wrapping headers will be.
Old 12 April 2011, 07:56 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

To be fair, i don't see what it's got to do with you really as it was dialogue between me and Harvey. You could atleast let the lad fight his own battles!

Or, maybe I'd best get one of my mates to join in and take umbrage at him telling me i talk rubbish when infact he just misinterpreted what i'd said.
Mate, I said let's leave it, but you couldn't, could you?

Grow up, eh?
The reason I TOOK umbrage is because Harvey is one of the people on here that others refer to. He is as honest as the day is long, NEVER makes a statement he can't back up with facts and figures and has done LOTS of work and development on our engines that we all benefit from.
To call his integrity into question is an insult. And not just to him, but to those of us who know him and have HAD the benefits of his experience and know how.

NOW, let's leave it, eh?
Old 17 June 2011, 01:15 PM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
I find your last sentence totally unsatisfactory. You are inferring that my post is influenced by commercial consideration when I am simply stating the facts. If you do not recognise my post as a statement of fact you clearly have little understanding of how a turbo charged engine works and you clearly have not done back to back tests. Thermal management on any turbocharged engine is an important consideration when improving performance and the headers and uppipe play an important part in that equation.

At no time did I say there would be an increase in bhp. I think there may be a slight increase but that is not the point of the post and that is not what I am saying. Read what I said again. With heat management the turbo will spool earlier and in many cases quite noticably so. If you want to criticise what I said just stick with what I did say instead of introducing .5 bhp. Unfortunately for you any interested party can repeat these spooling tests and demonstrate you don't know what you are talking about.
Have a different view by all means but do not call my integrity into question. Fortunately any interested Subaru owner can do the same before and after test I describe in my post above and draw their own conclusions. Providing quality wrap is applied properly they will make the same observations I reported.
I am not trying to sell a product. I am stating what the effect of wrapping headers will be.
I found your first sentence totally unsatisfactory. You didn't read the guys first post or my response correctly and i find it very ironic that you are telling me to read what you said again. I think the saying is pot, kettle something.......
Old 17 June 2011, 01:18 PM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

Mate, I said let's leave it, but you couldn't, could you?

Grow up, eh?
The reason I TOOK umbrage is because Harvey is one of the people on here that others refer to. He is as honest as the day is long, NEVER makes a statement he can't back up with facts and figures and has done LOTS of work and development on our engines that we all benefit from.
To call his integrity into question is an insult. And not just to him, but to those of us who know him and have HAD the benefits of his experience and know how.

NOW, let's leave it, eh?
Ha, nice one. That's made me chortle. :d
Old 17 June 2011, 01:26 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, handbags ladies
Old 17 June 2011, 02:54 PM
musso2010
Scooby Regular

I just love a scoobynet scrap. Always makes me smile. Lol.
Old 17 June 2011, 03:14 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Everyone's going to war with Harvey!
Old 17 June 2011, 04:44 PM
macmac
Scooby Regular

im in harveys corner !
Old 17 June 2011, 06:36 PM
bgood
Scooby Regular

Jeez

Old 17 June 2011, 07:03 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Harvey knows what he's on about .
Listen and learn
Old 17 June 2011, 07:11 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Jonto : Have you been hibernating since 12 April. If you don't want to wrap your headers that is your choice. I have already proven the benefits of heat management on many cars and don't feel I need to prove anything to doubting Thomas's.

Quick Reply: Wrapped headers & up pipe