ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Subaru Impreza AWD GX/Sport Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2011, 10:42 PM
ozz120
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru Impreza AWD GX/Sport Tuning

Hi I am looking at getting a Subaru Impreza AWD GX or Sport and wanted to know about tuning them, howmuch BHP can you get from them, are they easy to turbo or supercharge? How much does it cost ect... What should I try to get 200 BHP 250 300...? Any info would be great thanks!
Old 06 April 2011, 10:47 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello

Forget about supercharging or turbocharging, its very expensive (turbocharging means you would have to replace most of the car, ie gearbox, clutch, diffs, exhaust, rebuild the engine to take the added power etc), its cheaper just buying a WRX, and please dont say its cheaper on insurance doing this on a GX/Sport as its not, it ends up more expensive

Tuning wise, NA engine, you can get about 20bhp extra out of them, nothing exciting and not really a performance car tbh.

Tony
Old 06 April 2011, 10:49 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi

you're not going to be getting any near 200 bhp so 300 is a dream....
best mods for a sport is manifold and decat pipe,air filter...maybe 140 bhp
dont even waste your time money and effort trying to super charge it or turbo...
you can buy a half nice wrx......
Old 06 April 2011, 10:50 PM
ozz120
Scooby Newbie

I know what you mean but when you are 18 it is far cheaper and the only way lol. How much would it cost to turbo the engine?
Old 06 April 2011, 11:01 PM
d7nmr
Scooby Regular

On the standard sport engine, if you thinking of turboing that u will only get around 80 bhp more than standard. Not even wrx power. And if u want more then ull have to rebuild the engine with stronger internals. This will cost u loads. Just get a wrx/sti and drop that in it with all the other neccessary it's needed
Old 06 April 2011, 11:02 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

turbo it then not tell the insurance you mean?
no idea how the insurance would work out putting a turbo on a standard sport
never really considered it, interesting if it does work out cheaper
Old 06 April 2011, 11:05 PM
ozz120
Scooby Newbie

Yeah it would for me being that I am 18 and cant get a wrx or sti unless I spend 20K a year on car insurance, and god knows who has the money for that..? It would be a risk to do this and not tell them but it would be the only way.
Old 06 April 2011, 11:08 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

i didnt, hence i had a 950cc fiesta for a few years etc :/

anyhow, not condoning what your're looking to do, but surely you'd be better off getting one of the many wrx's with gl on the logbook..
gonna be cheaper if you willing to take the risk and lie to your insurance company

or just do what others have done and put up with a gutless car for a few years :\
Old 06 April 2011, 11:15 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by ozz120
Yeah it would for me being that I am 18 and cant get a wrx or sti unless I spend 20K a year on car insurance, and god knows who has the money for that..? It would be a risk to do this and not tell them but it would be the only way.
Its also illegal to not disclose any modifications done to your car (its classed as being uninsured as the insurance co will declare your policy null and void ), plus the police will have a field day and you can face fraud charges (up to 5 years in prison if you get the extreme), lots of points on your licence and large fines, oh and note that the insurance co's do advertise on these websites, not a good idea to not declare mods...

Tony
Old 06 April 2011, 11:17 PM
ozz120
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by acstua
i didnt, hence i had a 950cc fiesta for a few years etc :/

anyhow, not condoning what your're looking to do, but surely you'd be better off getting one of the many wrx's with gl on the logbook..
gonna be cheaper if you willing to take the risk and lie to your insurance company

or just do what others have done and put up with a gutless car for a few years :\
Its finding a wrx with a GL that is hard :{ Some one did message me before about one tho, so it seams I am not the only one who wants/ trys this.
Old 06 April 2011, 11:30 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ozz120
Its finding a wrx with a GL that is hard :{ Some one did message me before about one tho, so it seams I am not the only one who wants/ trys this.
This is called declaring a falsehood, or basically lying to your insurance co, if you know what the car is then you have to declare that car as is, that included modifications, you wont get away with "i didnt know mister" as they will just hit you harder.
Buy a GX if you wish, but really I would stick with something cheaper to start with (none subaru unless you fancy a justy? ) and build up your ncb for a few years, then if the fuel isnt 2 quid a ltr you should be able to get a wrx

Tony
Old 06 April 2011, 11:42 PM
ozz120
Scooby Newbie

Yeah I know it would be best all ways been a bit of a risk taker tho, who knows may try to get a 2.0 focus and do some small mods to that, unless I crash I should be ok with that.
Old 07 April 2011, 12:02 AM
zayd
Scooby Regular

As a point on this thread, does the GX have the same suspension as the WRX.

Ozz120, just be patient fella and take your time builiding your driving experience. The whole reason why the insurance is beyond your grasp for a WRX/STI right now is due to the risk factor involved. I've personally experienced that since hitting 25 years of age, their is a significant reduction in the cost of premiums. You'll also be a much wiser and capable driver to handle a high performance car after a few years.

I really don't mean to question your current driving abilities, but statistically young drivers are more likely to be involved in an accident than older drivers and this means their insurance premiums will cost more.
Old 07 April 2011, 12:20 AM
Arkynsei
Scooby Regular

I was looking at WRX's etc too (I'm 19) and I came to earth with quite a bump. Rather than doing something silly, i.e killing yourself or getting chucked in prison for fraud, wait until you can truely enjoy it when you're a bit older. A scooby isn't out of the questions though.. I just bought myself an '06 R-Sport.. still very expensive premium (Talking.. 2.5k a year) but much, much more affordable. When I get to 20 that goes right down to 1.5k. Haven't actually driven mine yet as I haven't got it from the dealer but I'm more than sure it'll do me for now!
Old 07 April 2011, 01:04 AM
ozz120
Scooby Newbie

Its a good point thanks
Old 07 April 2011, 01:10 AM
topman2180
Scooby Regular

Just enjoy the car wait ten years and buy a wrx.

I passed my test at 19 and brought a vauxhall cavalier , google that and you will see how luck you are.

Last edited by topman2180; 07 April 2011 at 01:14 AM.
Old 07 April 2011, 08:58 AM
x-helen-x
Scooby Regular

I have an impreza RX which is a non turbo and I gotta say that I love it!!

Brought this car for its looks as its based on the RB320 I couldnt say I ever have driven over 80 mph in it so to me its perfect for poodling around in and looks stunning! Well all the lads seem to give the thumbs up!

Being only just 22 insurance was the major factor for me and would never use the power of a turbo but with a few years of driving my impreza maybe I might step up to my real dream of the RB320 or RS.

If its the impreza look you want like me, then just stick with a sport for a few years to get older and gain NCB under your name and time will go quick that you can step up to more power, sure its worth the wait!!

Most of all just enjoy the car in the lush summer days!!
Old 07 April 2011, 09:15 AM
scooby_ben_ds
Scooby Regular

Yeah i agree with Helen, I have an AWD sport its non turbo and i am 23 so insurance is a strong consideration, I intend to upgrade when i am 25 to a turbo model, I would hold your ground and wait until you got a few years ncb under your belt then go for turbo.

Ben
Old 07 April 2011, 09:56 AM
steffi4
Scooby Regular

Have you checked Quinn insurance? I was 19 when I passed and was insured on a Subaru impreza type ra with my partner 22 for under £1000. Prices have gone up now tho. I drive a gx and their not that bad. No it's not turbo and no it dosnt throw you into our seat but it's still got the class and styling and the noise without the hefty insurance.
Not bad for a first scoob with insurance prices these days. As for the lying on insurance I really recommend you don't. If you crash or some idiot crashes into you, you are gonna pay a fortune as insurance will be void. They don't buy the 'I didn't know' card.
Good luck finding a car I know how you feel. I'm really wanting an ra again but insurance holds me back
Old 07 April 2011, 10:12 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

^^^^^good luck with Quinns. they will not touch an under 25 for a WRX. they did for a number of years and look at the $hit they got into. Quinns are very selective now about who theu will insure.
Old 07 April 2011, 10:50 AM
Ved
Scooby Regular

Concentrate on handling or even better book yourself on a driving course as your car will be transformed and you won't have to declare it as a mod
Old 07 April 2011, 10:59 AM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

It's a stupid idea not to declare your mods. It would also cost you more to turbo a sport than it would to buy and insure a turbo 2000.

Sports have been known to get 170bhp without turbo or supercharging. That's about your limit. I reckon you'd be lucky to hit 150bhp.

The best mods are handling and brakes.
Old 07 April 2011, 11:09 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

I had an EVO 3 at 19, cost me £2500 a year to insure. Was worth every penny as my friends were all driving around in Nova's, astra's etc.
Either bite the bullet and pay the fee or stick with a standard sport untill your older.
Simple as that.
And the thought of modding a sport, I really wouldn't bother, save your money up for the real thing buddy.
Old 07 April 2011, 11:15 AM
chaffe
Scooby Regular

na tuning is a myth, never seen any evidence of it personally
Old 07 April 2011, 11:27 AM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chaffe
na tuning is a myth, never seen any evidence of it personally
I've seen sports modded without huge budgets. With the dyno read outs too.

It's just no where near 200bhp without going cams or forced induction.
Old 07 April 2011, 12:00 PM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

ain't ever gonna happen for you I'm afraid. All motor ins is rocketing: I'm a bit older, even mine has gone up from 352 to 450. wives from 413, to 433 now 533.

I have 20 odd yrs NCB in !!!!

even if you take the hit of a massive premium in yr one, yr ins just ain't going to come down in yr two.

the other reality with fuel being 1.40 a litre, I doubt at 18 you could even afford to run it anywhere.

sorry to be a miserable sod !!!

at 18 you are, without a doubt going to smash yr car up, or have another 18 yr old smash into you.

even 1.00 and 1.2 litre cars are soooo much better and quicker than they were 10 or 20 yrs ago. and much more reliable !!!

you'll have a lot of fun in whatever you get- good luck and happy driving.
Old 07 April 2011, 12:11 PM
Hammie82
Scooby Regular

I'm going to be blunt but it's to save you hassle!!!
Don't buy a car stick a turbo on it then ring the insurance co and insure it as a na
Realistically (statistically speaking) you are going to be in an accident or have your car stolen at some stage, maybe it won't be your fault, maybe it will "that's not important now" the important thing is the insurance you paid on the gl won't be worth the paper it's written on!
Now the stupid thing, your car is stolen and some scummy little toe rag hits a micra and spears off into a tree killing the joy rider and 2 people in the micra are crippled for life!!! Your not insured nor is the car!!!! Johny law comes after you for the car, the joy riders family sue you for something cause law in UK and Ireland is screwed up and the occupants of the micra claim against you aswell!!! I know this sounds fictional and your thinking "that can't happen" it can and it's happened before!!!! I know a young lad doing a 10 year stretch for this kinda thing!!! His car was stolen, he alert the keys in the ignition while he ran into the shop!!! His drunk passenger friend took the car for a spin and had a horrendous accident!!! Several dead and 1 in a wheel chair for life!!! Long story short car was insured as a 1.3 lancer instead of evo so he could afford the insurance now he really paying the price
Old 07 April 2011, 01:53 PM
steffi4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
^^^^^good luck with Quinns. they will not touch an under 25 for a WRX. they did for a number of years and look at the $hit they got into. Quinns are very selective now about who theu will insure.
What trouble did they get? They were excellent for us. When I did a check recently for the same car they did refuse online so guessed they'd changed their ways. Originally every other company wanted over £3000!! Guess it was a right time right place thing
Old 07 April 2011, 01:56 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i was 19 with a uk turbo paying £1100 now its 352 bhp with all bits decleard 1300 @ 24
Old 07 April 2011, 01:58 PM
x-helen-x
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hammie82
I'm going to be blunt but it's to save you hassle!!!
Don't buy a car stick a turbo on it then ring the insurance co and insure it as a na
Realistically (statistically speaking) you are going to be in an accident or have your car stolen at some stage, maybe it won't be your fault, maybe it will "that's not important now" the important thing is the insurance you paid on the gl won't be worth the paper it's written on!
Now the stupid thing, your car is stolen and some scummy little toe rag hits a micra and spears off into a tree killing the joy rider and 2 people in the micra are crippled for life!!! Your not insured nor is the car!!!! Johny law comes after you for the car, the joy riders family sue you for something cause law in UK and Ireland is screwed up and the occupants of the micra claim against you aswell!!! I know this sounds fictional and your thinking "that can't happen" it can and it's happened before!!!! I know a young lad doing a 10 year stretch for this kinda thing!!! His car was stolen, he alert the keys in the ignition while he ran into the shop!!! His drunk passenger friend took the car for a spin and had a horrendous accident!!! Several dead and 1 in a wheel chair for life!!! Long story short car was insured as a 1.3 lancer instead of evo so he could afford the insurance now he really paying the price
Sad to hear that kind of accident But 100% well said!!

Quick Reply: Subaru Impreza AWD GX/Sport Tuning