Sponsored by:

Just had a car mapped for £225!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2011, 10:57 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Just had a car mapped for £225!!!!

After hearing about the results and the quality of the software I thought I would give Opensource a try.

I'll keep it short and sweet, The car was mapped by Graham and I was told by Graham AKA Enginemapper that the car produced 360bhp/370ltb. However being the sort of person who only takes things for face value I thought I would put the car up against a similar spec car with stage one mods (car in question is a JDM sti).

Anyway long story short in a straight line there was nothing in it atall!

From standing start and we also tried a rolling start and the results where the same every time.

So before you pay £500 for an Ecutek remap I would suggest you contact Engine mapper or anyone else who maps with Opensource.....you will be £275 richer

Immy
Old 30 March 2011, 11:02 PM
demonsurfer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by juggers
After hearing about the results and the quality of the software I thought I would give Opensource a try.

I'll keep it short and sweet, The car was mapped by Graham and I was told by Graham AKA Enginemapper that the car produced 360bhp/370ltb. However being the sort of person who only takes things for face value I thought I would put the car up against a similar spec car with stage one mods (car in question is a JDM sti).

Anyway long story short in a straight line there was nothing in it atall!

From standing start and we also tried a rolling start and the results where the same every time.

So before you pay £500 for an Ecutek remap I would suggest you contact Engine mapper or anyone else who maps with Opensource.....you will be £275 richer

Immy
where abouts is he based as that sounds a bargin
Old 30 March 2011, 11:07 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curious What Version JDM and did it had a map on the 'stage one parts' is yours a UK, 360 seems pretty liberal,what rolling road did you use to measure it?

Opensource on my JDM Blob made in somewhat invicible but the 321Twinscroll is on the way
Old 30 March 2011, 11:09 PM
leedscal
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't mind giving this try, glad your happy with results mate
Old 30 March 2011, 11:20 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For "bread and butter" engine mapping, open source has been a very pragmatic option for quite a while. Look at the success of Duncan at Racedynamix and others for about £350 a pop. I apologise for Opensource mappers I have not mentioned.

The open market is somewhat of a great leveller and I would guess Enginemappers will prices to "revert to the mean" in the fulness of time

Shaun
Old 30 March 2011, 11:20 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Trinity
Curious What Version JDM and did it had a map on the 'stage one parts' is yours a UK, 360 seems pretty liberal,what rolling road did you use to measure it?

Opensource on my JDM Blob made in somewhat invicible but the 321Twinscroll is on the way
2006 JDM STI
It was mapped on the road as I am not interested in rolling road figures. However the JDM STI we tested it against has been on the rollers and has had the magic numbers of 360bhp/370ltb via Ecutek.

I wouldn't knock Ecutek as it gets the job done however I don't see how it's worth an extra £275 when open source can do the exact same stuff.
Old 30 March 2011, 11:22 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Trinity how does e md321 compare to the new litcho turbos have they been tested back to back and what sor of power can it produce?

Trending Topics

Old 30 March 2011, 11:25 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Immy

There is no argument that good Opensource mappers, like I mentioned, can equal EcuTeK mapping for run of the mill (and perhaps more exotic cars) ..........it's just how the pricing will pan out

Shaun
Old 30 March 2011, 11:30 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Done lots of exotic Shaun

Nice result Juggers
Old 30 March 2011, 11:34 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Immy

There is no argument that good Opensource mappers, like I mentioned, can equal EcuTeK mapping for run of the mill (and perhaps more exotic cars) ..........it's just how the pricing will pan out

Shaun
I complete agree with you Shaun as you said earlier the likes of Duncan@ Race Dynamix and Graham AKA Engine Mapper will most likely spearhead a new era in open source mapping here in the UK.

I also have the Ecutek Software and spent the best part of £4500 on it which is a cost I would have to pass onto the customer not to mention the license fee of £150.

Open source cost's penuts and is also available to the joe public for a small donation to the chap who created the software which I think is only right.

I can only see Open Source on everyones Christmas wish list.
Old 30 March 2011, 11:36 PM
bugeyejohn
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by demonsurfer
Wrexham theres a add in the trader section
Old 30 March 2011, 11:38 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

I know you have Duncan

Just gotta get some version 5/6 STi heads for Rob84's 2.5 build for you to have a go at

Shaun

PS it's not just Imprezas that throw the dummy out of the pram......our Citroen C8 seems to have snapped a cambelt on the schoo lrun on the A6 near Carlisle and the rebuild is running at £1.5K
Old 30 March 2011, 11:38 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by demonsurfer
He's based in Wrexham ,but will come out to you if you cover his petrol cost's

His number is 07773806255

Or if your down South you can use Duncan @ Race Dynamix as I've heard he's quite good

Immy

Last edited by juggers; 30 March 2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 30 March 2011, 11:44 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Immy,
Is this on your JDM..... arn't you missing out on the awesomeness that is RaceROM though?

Does Opensource in your car have all the per gear boost control stuff like the older MegaROM stuff has? I don't really know about opensource on the later cars.
Old 30 March 2011, 11:49 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Shaun, I think that RaceRom is only for fly by wire throttle cars like the UK/Euro/US Hawkeyes and later.

Megarom is for the JDM Newage cars but I could be wrong.
Old 30 March 2011, 11:55 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

What do you think the new JDM Hatches are as they aren't MegaROM.

Last edited by Shaun; 30 March 2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old 30 March 2011, 11:58 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's like the last decade never happened
Old 31 March 2011, 12:03 AM
demonsurfer
Scooby Regular

He's based in Wrexham ,but will come out to you if you cover his petrol cost's

His number is 07773806255

Or if your down South you can use Duncan @ Race Dynamix as I've heard he's quite good

Immy
thanks for that wonder how much he would charge as i live in the linconshire area will give him a call tomorrow
Old 31 March 2011, 12:04 AM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

As Cannonfodder said Racerom only works on flyby wire and the car in questions was an 06 JDM STI.

I doubt the average driver will ever utilise any of the features available via megarom or racerom. I certainly can't see any gains while am plodding along in traffic and a few spirited drives.

However I do a lot of trackdays so with that in mind if I were to get my car done then I might go the ecutek route only for this reason ,but I have a funny feeling these features maybe available via open source and if they are then it's a no brainer.

Maybe Duncan can clarify.

Last edited by juggers; 31 March 2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 31 March 2011, 12:05 AM
ajsscooby
Scooby Regular

Graham (engine mapper) did mine yesterday as the final part of some engine work, top bloke and great results. I could never justify >£500 for what is basically readjusting the ECU data but a remap £225 is a must have!

At the end of the day the results are only as good as the mapper dude and for most of us the opensource route is more than adequate.
Old 31 March 2011, 12:06 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaun
What do you think the new JDM Hatches are as they aren't MegaROM.
So the JDM Hatches have fly by wire throttle control?

If they have then that's good news if they can have RaceRom mapped in - as give it a couple of years and I'm going to look to get a JDM Hatch.

Last edited by Cannon Fodder; 31 March 2011 at 12:08 AM.
Old 31 March 2011, 12:08 AM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
So the JDM Hatches have fly by wire throttle control?

If they have then that's good news if they can have RaceRom mapped in - as give it a couple of years and I'm going to look to get a JDM Hatch.
Yep all MY08+ including the JDM are flybywire.
Old 31 March 2011, 12:11 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Have you checked them both with detcans etc Juggers? more to it than just power and torque.. need to do a mpg test and det test and did you swap drivers lol..

My mail box is currently has a few emails from disappointed open source mapped customers who are wanting their car remapped with ecutek, most whom are relucant to speak out as the rave reviews on the forums show different to their experiance.

Simon
Old 31 March 2011, 12:28 AM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
Have you checked them both with detcans etc Juggers? more to it than just power and torque.. need to do a mpg test and det test and did you swap drivers lol..

My mail box is currently has a few emails from disappointed open source mapped customers who are wanting their car remapped with ecutek, most whom are relucant to speak out as the rave reviews on the forums show different to their experiance.

Simon
Nope no detcans however wouldn't that all be down to the mapper?
The software itself does exactly the same as Ecutek. It allows the mapper to change the paramiters and if the car is detting the mapper must be sh#t or has done a poor job.

The same can be said for Ecutek people have had their cars mapped and have not been happy however don't say out and fork out x amount to have it redone by another mapper.

If your near Manchester in the next week or so maybe you can look at both cars back to back ?

Immy

Last edited by juggers; 31 March 2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old 31 March 2011, 12:31 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Nope no detcans however wouldn't that all be down to the mapper?
The software itself does exactly the same as Ecutek. It allows the mapper to change the paramiters and if the car is detting the mapper must be sh#t or has done a poor job.

The same can be said for Ecutek people have had their cars mapped and have not been happy however don't say out and fork out x amount to have it redone by another mapper.

Immy
fair comment.

There are differences in the sw and aspects of but for your example irrelavent so yes agree with what you are saying.

Simon
Old 31 March 2011, 12:32 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

If your near Manchester in the next week or so maybe you can look at both cars back to back ?

Immy
posted before your edit..

not near no
Old 31 March 2011, 12:34 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Most mappers run the cars close to det ie just under ... without the cans you can't tell

TX.
Old 31 March 2011, 06:56 AM
Sabas
Scooby Regular

I think I have asked this before, but what is open source mapping?

What's the difference between that and the other way?
Old 31 March 2011, 07:46 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

As Cannonfodder said Racerom only works on flyby wire and the car in questions was an 06 JDM STI.

I doubt the average driver will ever utilise any of the features available via megarom or racerom. I certainly can't see any gains while am plodding along in traffic and a few spirited drives.

However I do a lot of trackdays so with that in mind if I were to get my car done then I might go the ecutek route only for this reason ,but I have a funny feeling these features maybe available via open source and if they are then it's a no brainer.

Maybe Duncan can clarify.
I thought this was your hatch for a moment.

You drive a car that has been mapped properly using megarom, versus one that hasn't. There are big driveability differences. These differences will be noticed, even by the average driver. Trouble is, not many people are well informed about megarom.
Old 31 March 2011, 08:41 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaun
I thought this was your hatch for a moment.

You drive a car that has been mapped properly using megarom, versus one that hasn't. There are big driveability differences. These differences will be noticed, even by the average driver. Trouble is, not many people are well informed about megarom.
When I had my Spec C mapped I asked Bob Rawle for a Megarom remap, he did say that they take longer than a standard map to get right due to the increased amount of setting up required but it makes for a much better car, plus that it was very rare to install a Megarom map but he enjoyed doing it as there it far more for the mapper to 'get their teeth into'; my words not his.

I must agree with Shaun that it does make a big difference in terms of the overall effect it has on the car, but as Shaun has said it is not well known and has never really been pushed that hard from what I have read on various forums.

Quick Reply: Just had a car mapped for £225!!!!