3. yawn
4. hmmm, ok
5. yawn
Old 17 April 2002, 01:35 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Classic wagon - you could get a late model STi for the less than the money you'd spend on any of the others and with a few little tweeks with the money you've saved surely this would be the quickest cross country in all weather. For a young family this has got to be ideal, just tell the wife the fuel gauge is faulty

Bug eye - still fun cross country but you'll feel your lacking a bit of oomph after driving the STi

330D touring - great car if your worried about fuel consumption, comfort, refinement etc etc. Bags a room for the kids

Civic type-r might be a little cramped if you've got lots of luggage but boy oh boy will it be fun when your going for a blast on your own. Why limit yourself to 4500rpm when you've got a screamer like this??

Saab - torque steer, nuf said. Forget the B road blasts and stick to the motorways

In conclusion classic STi wagon with eibachs or better still find one that has already been modded with Leda, Link etc etc.......
Old 17 April 2002, 02:09 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Very, very similar situation to me. However, I'm limited to new cars (classic wagon is thus out). Civic was out as it is too small for a family car. Saab I've dropped as it's supposed to be not thrilling enough on B-roads. Am left with a bug-eye wagon plus PPP and suspension, brake upgrade (here a PPP is about 3000 pounds but with sus, brake, P1 wheels and STI headlights) vs the 330D. I haven't yet found the answer, and am frustrated by:
1. test-driving them shows little as I don't understand these roads, drivers, or rules (I don't have a car yet in Portugal), so I basically try not to crash and that's it,
2. rumours that the WRX is supposed to have a screen-forward revamp and the 330D is supposed to get extra power both around the end of this year.
Answers to my questions here so far suggest that for fun driving at low-ish mileage, it's a close call btwn a standard MY02 and a 330D, PPP might widen the gap a bit.

Oh yeah, whatever I buy I have to keep for five years. So no chance of changing my mind afterwards.

I follow with interest...

BJH
Old 17 April 2002, 02:44 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

I'd go for option 1...

Which is what I did... been running it for just over a year now and cannot fault it.. it is not as much fun as my MR2 Turbo was on the B road blasts but still a lot of fun.
You can drive it sedatly and smoothly with the family on board.
There is plenty of room in the boot for the pram and toys and other crAp we normally take with us.
The 97 on cars come with roofbars as standard so you can expand if you need to transport something extra etc..
The fuel economy could be better but I have had 30mpg on a motorway run.
It is a bit more subtle than the bug eye so less chance of getting stolen or boy racers perstering you for a race whcih can be annoying when you have the family on board.
The 330D would be my second choice I think, don't think it would be as rewarding to drive on a B-road blast, although the BMW is always a drivers car, but it is not going to handle like the scooby. But comfort would be high than the scooby (scooby can be a bit loud on a long run compared to a bm).
Obviously better fuel economy in the BMW..
Other option would be to buy a cheap mondeo for transporting the family and something like a kit car for yourself.. or Elise etc..
I have a motorcycle for out and out fun and so the Scooby was a nice all round car...
Enough of my waffle

JGM