Fluctuating Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2011, 10:36 AM
JustCallMeMac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluctuating Oil Pressure

Hi,

Noticed this morning, on the Defi, that the oil pressure is fluctuating although the problem seems intermittant.

When accelerating it's around 6.25 but if I come off the power it reduces and at idle it sits around 3. Usually it holds around the 6.25 mark, once warmed up.

Then went for another drive and no fluctuation. Held around 6.0.

Went on a track day yesterday, (pushed hard but was sensible and came in when oil temps got to 115) and I had no issues with oil pressure at the time. But maybe it's too coincidental not to be linked with that and whatever has happened is a legacy of putting the car through its paces.

Car drives fine, oil level is fine, coolant is fine and uncontaminated and I can't see any leaks. So not sure if a mechanical or faulty gauge / sensor issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 25 March 2011, 11:05 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW my Defi oil pressure guage sometimes "hunts" between 6 and 6.5 bar while driving steadilly on the Mortorway. Has done it for years LOL

The rest of the time it seems to behave itself.......

Shaun
Old 25 March 2011, 12:15 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Mine sometimes does it, it's normal, could be anything, oil surges, cornering, etc.

I reckon the time to worry is if it drops suddenly.
Old 25 March 2011, 12:43 PM
Scooby Dan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That doesn't sound too bad , but the first place I would check would be where the wires enter the actual plugs on the back of the controller as they are very fragile , one of mine snapped off last week causing some very interesting readings .
Old 28 March 2011, 01:50 PM
killerbmotorsport
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Checking all wiring connection is a good place to start. There are also other variables like the gauges type used (stepper motor types can 'hunt' sometimes) and where the pressure sensor is located.

If your gauge has always been rock steady until now it's definitely a good idea to do some investigating. If you find no problems with the suggestions already stated check the oil pickup.

The OEM pickups can fail on on the EJ engines, and occasionally the crack before failure gives intermittent pressure fluctuations. To see examples, feel free to check OUR PHOTO ALBUM OF FAILED OEM OIL PICKUPS HERE.