Fuel Quality Question for Track Day

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2011, 11:29 AM
JustCallMeMac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Quality Question for Track Day

Hi,

Am off to Silverstone on my first open-pitlane track day on Thursday.

Fuel is available onsite and options are Gulf Super unleaded (97 oct) or Gulf Super(102 oct)

My car is mapped for V Power and I try to use this all the time.

If I have to fill up at the track, (that should probably read when!!), what would you suggest I use?

Cheers,

Steve
Old 22 March 2011, 11:33 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your car is mapped for 99 ron then you have to run a higher octane fuel if its not obtainable.

Tony
Old 22 March 2011, 12:03 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could take a jerry can of V-Power?
If possible, don't let the tank drop below 1/4 It'll take only 4 laps or so to get rid of a gallon!
You could pop a drop of octane booster in the tank before you fill - just adds a little bit of safety margin.
Don't be tempted to stay out for too long, certainly to start with. It's amazing how all that concentration knackers you!

JohnD
Old 22 March 2011, 12:19 PM
JustCallMeMac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnD
You could take a jerry can of V-Power?
If possible, don't let the tank drop below 1/4 It'll take only 4 laps or so to get rid of a gallon!
You could pop a drop of octane booster in the tank before you fill - just adds a little bit of safety margin.
Don't be tempted to stay out for too long, certainly to start with. It's amazing how all that concentration knackers you!

JohnD
Cheers John,

Good advice mate.

And re. staying out too long, although an open pit-lane day, each hour is split in to 20 minute sessions to cater for Novices, Intermediates and Experts and I'm guessing that will be plenty enough with sufficient food, drink and rest time in between!

Can't wait!
Old 22 March 2011, 12:21 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I take 40 litres of Tesco99 in 2x20litre cans and a bottle of NF Octane booster
Old 22 March 2011, 12:55 PM
JustCallMeMac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
I take 40 litres of Tesco99 in 2x20litre cans and a bottle of NF Octane booster

Now you've got me thinking!!

A full tank on arrival plus 40 litres in a couple of cans should see me through the full day as I reckon 2 full tanks will be needed.

I'll be doing 7 x 20 minute sessions throughout the day and I estimate using approximately 10 litres a session or just over 2 gallons. That's 70 litres in total. May well have it wrong and I am guessing a bit but, either way, it could be worthwhile to take my own.

Question is I don't want to be driving around with the cans in my car when I'm there, so where to safely put them? Don't want to rent a garage, if any are available that is.

Also with regards the NF booster, would Millars Petrol Power Eco Max be any good, as I can get it from Halfords quickly and it adds 2 octane numbers to unleaded? I'm seeing Bob Rawle this afternoon for a tweak map so I'll ask him as well.

Cheers,

Steve
Old 22 March 2011, 04:07 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JustCallMeMac
Cheers John,

Good advice mate.

And re. staying out too long, although an open pit-lane day, each hour is split in to 20 minute sessions to cater for Novices, Intermediates and Experts and I'm guessing that will be plenty enough with sufficient food, drink and rest time in between!

Can't wait!
That's sensible. I did a track day at Brands Hatch last week and there were so many pure competition cars testing (although the briefing stated no testing or timing it was blatently obvious that this was going on) it became a bit intimidating at times. I'm loath to book another MotorsportVision track day because of this.

JohnD
Old 22 March 2011, 04:45 PM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

On my recent trip to Rockingham I filled up with V Power before i left, then i put in 2 x £50 of Rockinghams finest SUL (probably 97RON) and then on the way home filled again with V Power. Had no problems
Old 22 March 2011, 04:50 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JustCallMeMac
Hi,

Am off to Silverstone on my first open-pitlane track day on Thursday.

Fuel is available onsite and options are Gulf Super unleaded (97 oct) or Gulf Super(102 oct)

My car is mapped for V Power and I try to use this all the time.

If I have to fill up at the track, (that should probably read when!!), what would you suggest I use?

Cheers,

Steve
If you come up the M1, come off at j15/M1 towards Northampton 2/3 of a mile down the road is a Shell garage, then double back onto the M1 to j15a and across to Silverstone which is 15 or so miles from the Shell garage

If approaching from the M40 then there is a Shell garage a short distance from J10/M40 towards Silverstone/Northampton.

Does that help?