Sponsored by:

Does NCD disappear without insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2001, 09:03 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My insurance ran out on the 8th Feb just after my car had died. I have had a company car since then on loan and hence, have not needed to renew my insurance.

I have 4 years NCD up til then. Will these disappear after a length of time or not? I will be reinsuring my new car in about 3 weeks.

You back Rum?

DW
Old 23 March 2001, 09:10 AM
RB170
Scooby Regular

Apparently you keep your NCD for 2 years, if after 2 years you haven't been insured then you lose the NCD.

Mike
Old 23 March 2001, 09:31 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Question

I'm pretty sure it's 3 years that it lasts, I know I had a gap of over a year once when my car died and I couldn't afford a new one.
Chuck
Old 23 March 2001, 09:39 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Normally 2 Im told.

Im not sure if this works for sure, but I suspect that if you have insurance and suspend it, your NCD would be protected indefinately.

You suspend when you havent got anything to insure and you dont want to cancel your policy. Although there may be restrictions as to how long you can suspend for.

Worst case, buy a shed, and insure that, and leave it somewhere.

robski
Old 23 March 2001, 09:40 AM
BT52
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by chuckster:
<B>I'm pretty sure it's 3 years that it lasts, I know I had a gap of over a year once when my car died and I couldn't afford a new one.
Chuck[/quote]

I was told it was 2.
Every couple of years my wife and I swap over from her insuance to mine etc. for this reason.
Old 23 March 2001, 09:59 AM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Robski,

Tell me more about this insurance suspension thing. Would this mean I could pause 6 months through the year, then start it up again later - run it for another 6 months and gain a years NCB ?

Gary
Old 23 March 2001, 10:02 AM
kwack
Scooby Regular

I think that you will find from the insurance companies that to gain a years NCD you need to have continuos insurance for that period.

Nigel

Trending Topics

Old 23 March 2001, 10:13 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Depends on the company who are going to insure you. I had a company car for 4 and a half years with no private insurance. When I bought the Scoob, I prepared myself for a massive quote, but they were very understanding.

Previously I had 7 years NCD, and had kept the proof document. When I provided that and a letter from the company (where I had had two claims in four years) they gave me four years NCD because I had essentially had two fairly minor claims in eleven years.

Ask them, they may be more understanding than you think

Geezer
Old 23 March 2001, 10:47 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

DW,

Do what I did, get your current insurance company to send you a proof of NCD. This way you at least have something in your hands.

I went 3.5 years without my own insurance at one point. I phoned Norwich Union up who had been my previous insurers and they still had me on record as having 3 years NCD. They sent a cert. through to me and through to my new insurars, no questions.

Cheers

Ian
Old 23 March 2001, 10:43 PM
RBN
Scooby Regular

Hi,
I used to work at a motor insurance brokers a few years back,then you could keep your bonus for two/three years all depending on the company themselves,(some 2,some 3) so no need to worry m8.
As far as suspending a policy,back then you could suspend a policy for the remainder of the term, at which time there would be a credit £££££?? against your next policy if needed and a years bonus added(if not maximum NCB).
Regarding company car use and no claims bonus, i still think this is the case now that if your employer provides a letter on company letterhead stating that you have had the use of a company vehicle for X number of years,used it for both social domestic and pleasure plus business use and in which time never had any claims or accidents some insurance companys will awarded you the same in no claims bonus years.Again my advise would be to ring round the insurance brokers,they'll find the right deal .

I hope this may help

take care

RBN
Old 23 March 2001, 10:45 PM
RBN
Scooby Regular

Hi,
I used to work at a motor insurance brokers a few years back,then you could keep your bonus for two/three years all depending on the company themselves,(some 2,some 3) so no need to worry m8.
As far as suspending a policy,back then you could suspend a policy for the remainder of the term, at which time there would be a credit £££££?? against your next policy if needed and a years bonus added(if not maximum NCB).
Regarding company car use and no claims bonus, i still think this is the case now that if your employer provides a letter on company letterhead stating that you have had the use of a company vehicle for X number of years,used it for both social domestic and pleasure plus business use and in which time never had any claims or accidents some insurance companys will awarded you the same in no claims bonus years.Again my advise would be to ring round the insurance brokers,they'll find the right deal .

I hope this may help

take care

RBN