Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Problems with Subaru oil filters.

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2011, 11:23 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with Subaru oil filters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6X8kExgj-w

Old 12 March 2011, 11:42 AM
jsfb
Scooby Regular

FFS
Old 12 March 2011, 11:47 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

I was totally oblivious to this issue. I had an oil change done today and would have used a genuine Subaru filter had it not been for Simon at the garage (Richard Henry Autos). Anyhow used an ADL one instead. No wonder Impreza engines are going bang when Subaru supply such crappy oil filters!
Old 12 March 2011, 11:50 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No surprise there to be honest. Subaru like many other makers work to strict budgets and something cheap that will 'just do the job' will be specified, as long as there is a pressure valve at the bottom. The anti drain-back diaphram is irrelevant on the Subaru as the filter hangs vertically down and oil simply does not drain from the filter.
I use UFI filters from Opie Oils with no probs. and these do not have the drain back diaphram. Out of interest I shall disect one the next oil change and have a look.

JohnD

Last edited by JohnD; 12 March 2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12 March 2011, 12:07 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

From the minute i seen these silly little blue filters alarm bells have been ringing, the old black ones fill with oil no probs, took me about 30 min to fill the blue one, have one on the now but due oil change soon, il not be using them again...poor show subaru!!! skimping on filters is a big no no that filter looks crap and should not be filtering dust form a vacume cleaner never mind an engine.
Old 12 March 2011, 12:21 PM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

:O for ***** sake
Old 12 March 2011, 12:26 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

They also have a habbit of falling off too.
Old 12 March 2011, 01:11 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

That video could have been half the length with the same info.

Bit shocking that not only are they crap quality, but Subaru now charge £15 for them
Old 12 March 2011, 01:14 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

what is the best filters to use then? i always have used genuine subaru ones but after seeing that then i think ill change,but what to?and where from?
that is **** poor!
Old 12 March 2011, 01:21 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd assume the pink STI filters would be better, but they are £30(+)
Old 12 March 2011, 01:28 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Think i'll be using the hks one, it is about 20 quid, must be better quality than that crap, no matter what i use it wont be anymore blue ones.
Old 12 March 2011, 02:33 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

there is no issue with the blue filters at all, we have been fitting them for well over a year and had no issues at all.
that bloke is a right dick, why do it in the car and not the garage and they say a little bit of knowledge is dangerous and to me he is extremely dangerous! he doesn't know what some of the parts do so to him that makes the filter sub standard, i think he needs to go and study what it is and why it's there before making remarks like that
Old 12 March 2011, 02:44 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by scoobyboy
there is no issue with the blue filters at all, we have been fitting them for well over a year and had no issues at all.
that bloke is a right dick, why do it in the car and not the garage and they say a little bit of knowledge is dangerous and to me he is extremely dangerous! he doesn't know what some of the parts do so to him that makes the filter sub standard, i think he needs to go and study what it is and why it's there before making remarks like that
The general consensus seems to be that Fram oil filters (Subaru OEM) are cheap and made from substandard materials.
Old 12 March 2011, 02:47 PM
G.Mac
Scooby Regular

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...-147113p6.html
Old 12 March 2011, 02:58 PM
MarkC
Scooby Regular

When i was ordering stuff from camskill 2 months ago.. the person i was speaking to on the phone said that the new subaru oil filters are crap different company making them now. I use a blueprint oil filter on my car and no problems.
Old 12 March 2011, 03:15 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

I know the guy seems to not know 100% what he is talking about, but dont take much to see that is terrible quality, that i just wont take a chance on, fair enough if it was a cheap 500 quid banger, but not a car that aint cheap to rebuild an engine on.
Old 12 March 2011, 03:29 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mark v4 coupe
When i was ordering stuff from camskill 2 months ago.. the person i was speaking to on the phone said that the new subaru oil filters are crap different company making them now. I use a blueprint oil filter on my car and no problems.
I had a blueprint filter once with no holes in the base plate! Just solid disc of metal Imagine someone fitting that.

I wish I'd taken a picture now, i took it back and told the bloke at the motor factors to check the batch but he looked at me like I was insane. He couldn't even see the problem with the one I returned, took me a while to get him to even give me a refund!

Last edited by jameswrx; 12 March 2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12 March 2011, 03:40 PM
scoobyboothy
Scooby Regular

vauxhall had a problem with there vectra b 2.2's when they first came out, they had a paper cartridge oil filter and a long service interval, the filter started to break down blocking the jet that lubs the cam chain causing it dry out and stretching or snapping. They never had an official recall but if one came in with the symptoms they would fit a jet with a larger hole and put a new chain on.

I'm waiting for my hks filter to arrive, so when I change my oil, I'll cut open the black one i have on and see what's inside that
Old 12 March 2011, 03:48 PM
stevie333
Scooby Regular

Cant believe i just wasted 3 minutes of my life watching this dross.Some gay yank talking drivel,if it was pink i think he would have liked it.Positive useful info is great on these forums,but that is just taking it to health and safey levels of utter boll*cks
Old 12 March 2011, 03:48 PM
Mrchips
Scooby Regular

Holy shi4, i have one of those on mine, bit worried now, might be changing that soon as.
Old 12 March 2011, 04:08 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevie333
Cant believe i just wasted 3 minutes of my life watching this dross.Some gay yank talking drivel,if it was pink i think he would have liked it.Positive useful info is great on these forums,but that is just taking it to health and safey levels of utter boll*cks

Its the whole reason we put genuine filters on the cars, as you would expect quality products from subaru, but looks like they are scrimping on a very important part.

I have to travel a 30mile round trip to get one of these, i would be better walking round the corner and buying one from my local motor factors for a few quid. i buy genuine as want quality, the blue one never seemed right even before i seen the vid, the old black one used to prefill in minutes but the blue one takes forever to fill, it also feels like i could crush it with my fingers, i have one on the now but its the first and last.
They may be perfectly fine but i'll just not be taking the chance.

Last edited by **jay**; 12 March 2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12 March 2011, 04:09 PM
bugeyejohn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevie333
And why the f**k why he so obsessed with his seats while pi55ing about with dirty filters in his car.
Old 12 March 2011, 04:18 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

I think I'm going to try a HKS oil filter at my next oil change, looking at these new hybrid ones they at least look to be trying something slightly different with the honeycomb mesh.
Old 12 March 2011, 04:50 PM
IggyRB320
Scooby Regular

I purchased one of these from the main dealer for my last mid oil change!

Has anyone opened a STi pink, HKS or blue print?
Needs doing again in a couple of months, so what would be the best one to go for?
Old 12 March 2011, 05:02 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Sti pink is a lot of money, worth it if it's a superior filtration device without compromising flow. But can't find a lot of technical info on the net about them or whether they are actually worth the money.

The HKS (new bright pink ones) look quite good and appear to have a magnet built into them, AMSOIL ones look good too regarding filtration.

Best quality value for money one I found was Purolator, well made and cheap.

The HKS flter is about £22 delivered to your door so not too bad when you consider the new crappy OE filter is £15 plus driving to the dealer to collect it.
Old 12 March 2011, 05:02 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

What about the K&N oil filters they any good
Old 12 March 2011, 05:09 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

I have just looked into the K&N ones and they sound spot on and only £11.95 with free delivery. Anyone had any experience with these?
Old 12 March 2011, 05:38 PM
yorvik
Scooby Regular

Sorry, I just can`t take that idiot seriously!
Old 12 March 2011, 05:53 PM
bugeyejohn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greatgonzo
I have just looked into the K&N ones and they sound spot on and only £11.95 with free delivery. Anyone had any experience with these?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMyCpAqkJZ4 I use them there pretty good.
Old 12 March 2011, 06:03 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

Funny that BMW have been using paper filters on their cars, including the M3 & M5 for the last 15years and in the 6 years I worked there I never once saw a situation of engine failure due to a paper/card oil filter. This is the same thing but just enclosed in a metal 'cup'

Quick Reply: Problems with Subaru oil filters.