Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing from wrx spoiler (on bugeye sti)

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2011, 09:41 PM
amv#01
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Changing from wrx spoiler (on bugeye sti)

Hi all
I recently purchased a bugeye sti which I have been very happy with so far. One thing that I am now thinking about changing is the spoiler - as unusually it came with the low wrx version and I think it looks a little out of place.

Anyway apologies if this is a bit of a dumb question! but whats the best way to go about this? I'm not sure that an OEM sti spoiler will fit my boot now - from reading some other threads, I understand there are different fitment holes required for the different spoiler types?

My car is an sti not a wrx however - so perhaps it is ready to take the higher spoiler already? (Although the fact that only 4 holes are visible on the external boot surface makes me think not....maybe it was already swapped or it was spec-ed with wrx spoiler from new).

Also if a OEM turns out to be a no-go what are the replicas on ebay like? Anyone know if they are any good or are they just cheap tat?

Any advice appreciated
Cheers!
Old 11 March 2011, 09:49 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

the sti one ive bought has 11 holes in the spoiler so you will need to drill more holes and the ebay ones are really heavy compared to the genuine ones
Old 11 March 2011, 10:12 PM
amv#01
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, cheers for that
Not sure I wanna go drilling holes, i would probably end up making i right mess of it all. Hmm....maybe I'll have to buy a new boot lid or just settle for a heavy replica
Old 11 March 2011, 10:16 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The bodyshop thats spraying mine is drilling all my holes
Old 12 March 2011, 12:10 AM
bugeyejohn
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What i did was used some duct tape doubled over so it wasn't sticky,then placed the strips across the bottom of spoiler over the holes taping the ends to the side of the spoiler.Then i pushed holes through the tape where i wanted to bolt,then placed the spoiler on the boot.Pull the tape of the sides and tape to the boot so when you remove the spoiler the holes in the tape are in place.Mark the holes with a pen remove the tape drill and jobs a good un.
Old 12 March 2011, 12:43 AM
Gary WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a genuine one and get a body shop to fit it for you
Old 12 March 2011, 09:59 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The original (Jap and UK) bug STi's came with the low spoiler from the factory as OEM equipment. Only the Prodrive style and later STi's came with what we would call the "Sti spoiler".

OEM STi spoiler retails at about £895 froma dealer so best look around sor a second hand one.

Better Still buy a copy from someone like HT Autos that wil fit your boot and be a lot lighter.

The OEM spoiler weighs a ton and you will need the STi springs to keep it in the air LOL

Shaun