skyline to scooby convert

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2011, 05:07 PM
bigbruiseral
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default skyline to scooby convert

Hi all

Exuse the 1st post being a question rather then a hello, hopefully ill be around for a bit. Now i have always loved my skyline but sold it when the kids came, i just went out to buy a new c class merc and found myself in a 2007 WRX (non STI). I placed a deposit but a, wondering will i regret getting a non STI? are the WRX easy to tune to say 350hp. I under stand stage 1, 2 etc. Starting to have doubt having a read on the net someplace said dont launch the wrx hard as a sti as it has a weaker tranny then sti. Any input from WRX owners?

Thanks Al
Old 09 March 2011, 05:13 PM
Blue and Gold
Scooby Regular

I read a lot of posts on here from wrx owners wishing they had brought an STI as the money spent getting it to the same standard would have covered the cost of an STI over a wrx and yes an STI gearbox is stronger than a wrx one
Old 09 March 2011, 05:33 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

I never understand why people buy WRXs and consider an upgrade to the power striaght away. If that's the intention from the outset then you should go for an STi.
What you save regarding insurance would soon be cancelled out as you should declare the upgrades anyway.
Go for the STi or Spec C for more thrills.
Old 09 March 2011, 05:48 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Buy an older sti. To change to the 6 speed gear box in the sti is going to cost you £2k for starters. It's a no brainer
Old 09 March 2011, 05:53 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigbruiseral
Hi all

Exuse the 1st post being a question rather then a hello, hopefully ill be around for a bit. Now i have always loved my skyline but sold it when the kids came, i just went out to buy a new c class merc and found myself in a 2007 WRX (non STI). I placed a deposit but a, wondering will i regret getting a non STI? are the WRX easy to tune to say 350hp. I under stand stage 1, 2 etc. Starting to have doubt having a read on the net someplace said dont launch the wrx hard as a sti as it has a weaker tranny then sti. Any input from WRX owners?

Thanks Al
Hi and welcome

If you plan on modding the car then car straight for the Sti as you get a decent platform straight out the box that will take upto 400-450bhp on standard internals and 6speed box. A simple remap with a decat and uprated filter, fuel pump, plugs and 3 port solenoid will see around the 330-340 mark and can be done for well under 1k if you bargain hunt

Wrx gearbox will be at it's limits around the 330 and prone to gearbox failing plus it's gonna cost a good few grand more to get to that mark. Anything above 350bhp and then you will need to budget for a rebuild in the future as the internals are weaker than a Sti

Avoid the uk cars with 2.5 engines (2006-present) as they were built by cadbury's The most recommended car would be a Jdm sti 2005 onwards.

Hope this helps

Last edited by L.J.F; 09 March 2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09 March 2011, 06:47 PM
bigbruiseral
Scooby Regular

Thanks for response, think i came over wrong. Im not looking for modd central (done that on the skyline) Was only thing maybe stage one mods for sound and pick up really. The car will be used everyday as a work horse and the mrs will drive it it too thats why i dont want the STI, petrol , insurance and the wife with 300hp lol :P

I suppose the question should have asked is: Is the 2007 WRX and decent 4WD drive for the odd spirited back road blast and speding the rest of life as a shopng cart while not reducing my pockets to dust.

And regarding the cadburys gearbox are they ok running 250hp and are they going to fail as std do you mean.

thanks for the warm welcome guys most helpfull.
Old 09 March 2011, 06:53 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skoobidude
I never understand why people buy WRXs and consider an upgrade to the power striaght away. If that's the intention from the outset then you should go for an STi.
What you save regarding insurance would soon be cancelled out as you should declare the upgrades anyway.
Go for the STi or Spec C for more thrills.
Totally agree and my sister did just that and regretted it. She bought a classic wrx import and said she couldn't afford the extra £1k for an sti but within the first week of ownership she spent £1k on mods and it's still not an sti It's cost her a lot more than that now and it's still not an sti

My opinion especially on the bugeye onwards is to always buy the sti. The sti has better brakes (Brembo's) and the 6 speed gearbox and they aren't cheap parts to upgrade to and they also have more power and a better intercooler plus many other nice to have parts.
Old 09 March 2011, 06:56 PM
B4D HK
Scooby Senior

for what you need id say go for a WRX and go for a stage one remap and enjoy it. practical, sensible and fun
(obviously if you are after more than this you may aswell go for an Sti, it depends what you want to do with the car and who is going to drive it and for what purpose)

a lad in my club has just done this with a bug wrx and loves it. Bargain considering the car owes him £3250, after the remap.

Last edited by B4D HK; 09 March 2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09 March 2011, 07:14 PM
bigbruiseral
Scooby Regular

Great so the WRX is a good car in its own right but a bad buy if your getting it instead of a STI.
In fairness i went out for a merc not once did i entertain a STI, the WRX was just the right time and place and cash.

Can we clear up the gearbox then, will it be ok with some fast road at 250hp or was the comment of "cadburys" apply to 300+hp not lasting long?

Again thanks for your help all.
Old 09 March 2011, 08:26 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbruiseral
Great so the WRX is a good car in its own right but a bad buy if your getting it instead of a STI.
In fairness i went out for a merc not once did i entertain a STI, the WRX was just the right time and place and cash.

Can we clear up the gearbox then, will it be ok with some fast road at 250hp or was the comment of "cadburys" apply to 300+hp not lasting long?

Again thanks for your help all.
The WRX is a great car but if you are thinking of modifying it the STI is a better base. If you're only after 300ish bhp the WRX will be fine

5 speed boxes are quite weak around the 350bhp mark, after that you need a 6 speed box and the conversion will cost around £2k
Old 09 March 2011, 08:36 PM
EmzWRX
Scooby Regular

Have a WRX Hawkeye, running very happy at 350BHP and it's awesome!!

Thought of a STI but why would I!!! Good choice mate, enjoy it
Old 09 March 2011, 09:04 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

you must bear in mind that once you have the Wrx for a while you will always wish that you had bought a Sti

oh and welcome to our site
Old 09 March 2011, 09:39 PM
bigbruiseral
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bighead
you must bear in mind that once you have the Wrx for a while you will always wish that you had bought a Sti

oh and welcome to our site

haha yeah heah they said that about GTST instead of a GTR...400hp RWD was the best....

Thank you all for your input i think the WRX will be fine then i can live 250hp for day to to day
Old 09 March 2011, 09:47 PM
EmzWRX
Scooby Regular

Had mine for 3 years now, thought about STI, looked into getting one, changed mind, no regrets
Old 10 March 2011, 12:01 AM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

If you are going to be driving with the wife and kids you probably made a good choice. A wrx is slightly more comfortable and should be perfectly reliable with 250+ bhp .
Old 10 March 2011, 06:27 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Well I'm sure you've driven it (so you know what you're in for) but if I was you I'd have purchased an sti. The newage wrx's are very slow and I'd rather buy a 'normal' car and not pay the silly insurance because it's an impreza.

I've always found the non sti classics good fun but the newage wrx just seems very underpowered for it's size.
Old 10 March 2011, 10:22 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Box is absolutely fine up to circa 350bhp/320ft lb
Old 10 March 2011, 10:49 AM
bigbruiseral
Scooby Regular

Thanks all very much i pick up the car next sat, ill try posting here instead of another thread....the wrx is standerd and sounds errr lacking...is there a common back box and filter that everyone uses?

I found a back box on scooby sport or something £199 ish? and i assume just a replament K&N filter. not looking for power just a nice note
Old 10 March 2011, 11:50 AM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

panel filter if under 400 ish bhp, also you will not get heat soak from the engine. K&N or cosworth or green will be good choices.

Back boxes, there are loads, depends on what noise levels you are after, one of my fave's is the scoobyworld afterburner vortex - have a butchers on there website & have a listen