Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can YOU handle the ball bearings??

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2001, 10:41 PM
JamieR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put RainX on (the car) for the first time last weekend. Since then there's been everything from sunshine to sleet to torrential rain - and I've been driving lots of different environments. Will I be reapplying RainX when it eventually wears thin? I haven't decided yet, but in the meatime here's a few pros and cons:

1) I followed the application instructions closely, but still found the glass to be slightly misty in sunlight and at night somewhat streaky, particularly in on coming headlights. Might just need a bit of experimentation with the application...

2) Then the snow came. First off and woa! from 15mph there's these little ball bearings constantly rolling up the windshield. But the wing mirrors and the rear view are brilliantly clear. Excellent! I'd looked into a rear wiper but it didn't seem like a simple proposition. This is a much simpler. At higher speed, a few little ball bearing start doing a scooby dance on the rear windshield - I nearly went over a hedge the first time I noticed the little buggers.

3) In darkness, (torrential) rain is invisible, since the majority of it just rolls off - and you can't see the little ball bearings, so you hardly even need intermittent wipers. I passed a few trucks on a motorway with perfect visibility on (slowest) intermittent.

4) Rain, snow or drizzle isn't so great under streetlights, since, ahem, it really highlights the sparkles from the little ball bearings.

So there it is!

J

Old 21 March 2001, 11:22 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Jamie,

I've got used to the slight misty look it gives. I did find I can almost get this to go away altogether if I use a lot more water spray during application and polishing *really* hard. I.e. once shiny and clear looking, do it again.

I know what you mean by the ball bearings. The number of times I nearly drove into the back of a truck while watching them roll up the screen, well, I'm still alive

I find it especially good at night, like you say. Perfect on motorways, just don't need wipers at all on the GT4 because of the glass slope.

Another thing to note, try using it on your headlights. They will tend to keep cleaner for longer.

Cheers

Ian
Old 22 March 2001, 08:38 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

I've used RainX for ages - great stuff - I've never had the 'misty' problem after applying it. I only redo the RainX when I've washed the car - perhaps that makes a difference?

It is very good for driving at night and as Ian said, it helps on your headlights as well.

Chris
Old 22 March 2001, 10:10 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I started useing this over a year ago. At first I only used it on the side and rear windows and the wing mirrors. I was not to sure about putting it on the windscreen as I had heard some negative comments about it being used there.

It made a big difference in visibility on the windows I tried, so after experimenting on a small part of the windscreen I went and did the whole lot.

It was fantastic in medium to heavy rain. When traveling at anything above 50mph the rain just rolls up the screen. No need to use the wipers!!!

But, the only concern I had was in light rain. With a fine mist it made it harder to see through the screen. I think this is because (and here's the science part) the windscreen repells the droplets, so they for small hemispheres on the glass. These defract the light more so you get more 'images' from them thus reducing the opacity of the glass. Without RainX, the water droplets are able to spread over the glass and so form a layer that does not distort the light as much.

Also, I found the wipers streaked a lot more in light rain and this was a pain in the dark.

I had my windscreen changed a few months ago and I'm not sure yet if it's worth re-applying it on the new one..
Old 22 March 2001, 10:41 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

When I picked up my car the dealer had mop polished the whole car... including the glass.. (although not with polish on the windscreen I belive) anyway it gave similar effects to you describe.. is this a cheaper method, just buy a mop polisher for you drill? it has worn off now after about 3500miles and I am considering getting some rain X...
Old 22 March 2001, 02:15 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

I drove to Catalunya 2 years ago, without using the wipers once. It poured down for 700 of the 980 miles.

The less you use the wipers, the longer it lasts and better it works.

Recommended.
Old 22 March 2001, 03:23 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I Have used it for a few years now

It seems to smear if you do not follow the instructions to the letter, i usually clean my screen with glass cleaner to remove all traces fo the previous application, letting it dry thoroughly between and after the final 'coat' seems to do it, i stoill get it wrong from time to time and get smearing.

Above about 70 i usually do not need the wipers!

Trending Topics

Old 22 March 2001, 04:18 PM
JamieR
Scooby Regular

Yeah, there's no doubt that RainX is great on the side windows, rear window and the wing mirrors. I use Subaru Wax Wizard wax on the body and the lights, so I don't bother using it there. (BTW, use Wax Wizard - there is no question that this stuff is essential!!!)

The big question is: is it worth putting on the front windshield? I think the answer depends on whether you do a lot of nighttime driving (in relatively darkness) or not. Certainly if I did more city driving, I wouldn't bother. Problem is it's about 50:50 with me, so this is a tough call.

I think the comments about the application being critical are valid though, so I'll have to experiment a bit more. When I put it on initially, it was very blobby which was not what I expected at all - I thought it would be more sticky and form a uniform coat.

J
Old 22 March 2001, 08:10 PM
richm
Scooby Regular

I've tried various ways of applying the stuff...
Rule 1 - the glass MUST be properly clean to get a smear-free even coating (one that I'm happy with anyway) - even to the extent of using cutting polish (or WW Cleanser ) to clean the glass thoroughly of really stubborn greasy remains.

Apply liberally all over, wait til it hazes then apply a second coat - this makes sure of complete coverage.

Buff off really thoroughly with clean dry cloth.

Works for me...

Cheers

Rich
Old 23 March 2001, 09:41 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

I'm sure on the bottle that it says to use water to rub it in with...? I've never actually done this as it sounded a bit odd.

Has any one actually done it this way? I used to just apply a couple of coats dry (as above, but buffing between each coat), but could not get rid of the smearing. Maybe I needed to clean the glass better before...
Old 23 March 2001, 11:01 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Nimbus,

Yeah, I use water spray on it as well, as per instructions. You get a muach longer lasting layer amd also less smeary/misty.

Cheers

Ian
Old 23 March 2001, 11:04 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers Ian,

I'll give that a go when I next wash the car (hopefully this weekend!!) Still not sure about putting it on the windscreen though. I'll have to see the resultes of the 'proper' aplication...