Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STi or uprated WRX - real world driving differences?

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2011, 08:17 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default STi or uprated WRX - real world driving differences?

Thanks for reading, please help out a ditherer in making a decision:

Modified WRX wagon (350/400, ARB's, brakes etc), or STi car?

Would really like another, younger STi wagon (to give my aging one a rest), but.... the last ones made were 01/02's, these cars are very rare and if not now will be showing their age soon.

So, there's the WRX wagon of which I was looking at the hawkeye. I love the practicality of the wagon - bike in the back, B&Q, trips to the tip, dog space blah blah

But, and most important... what real world driving differences are there between a modified WRX and an STi?

I've owned new age STi's, but not a WRX

The bike can go on top of a car (although for long distance it's best to get bikes in the back, but these aren't many); boot space in the car is pretty big... so it's a compromise which can be lived with, if the drive benefit is big enough

Thanks

Last edited by bonesetter; 28 February 2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 28 February 2011, 10:04 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Modded WRX with that power would be subtle, quick, reliable and fun based on that. I prefer the subtlety of the WRX.
Old 28 February 2011, 10:15 PM
shepster
Scooby Regular

I have a modified WRX wagon and i love it. Loads of performance from the 2.1 and 20g and still space for all my gear. Wouldn't think twice about buying another
Old 28 February 2011, 10:17 PM
Billet
Scooby Regular

had a wrx before, now have a sti, and they are total different leagues. the sti is just such a better car, the way it drives, handles etc. you also get a lot of things standard, brembos, sti TMIC etc. The money you spend getting a wrx to 340/350 bhp, turbo, injectors, decat, fuel pump, etc when if you get a sti all you need to get to 340/350 bhp is a good remap.
Old 28 February 2011, 10:18 PM
Billet
Scooby Regular

Im talking about saloons however.
Old 28 February 2011, 10:38 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

if you plan to mod and will be happy with 350 Max than wrx makes a great car
Old 28 February 2011, 10:50 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

350/400 I'll be quite happy with, and also the expense of getting there - turbo, fuel pump and exhaust for 330bhp. STi tmic for 350bhp. With the 5 speed 'box this sounds like a good mix for a daily drive

It's the rest of the drive I would like to know about.

Is the WRX & STi suspension different? I know the WRX can be a bit of a softy and benefits from ARB stiffening, but is there anything else which makes an STi an STI? Will an uprated WRX be as sharp etc?

Trending Topics

Old 28 February 2011, 10:55 PM
Billet
Scooby Regular

STI suspension is stiffer than WRX
Old 28 February 2011, 10:56 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

MY car is a WRX and i would say it was Sharp softer setup makes it great for UK roads. ARB and springs make a massive gain.

I am running close to 500bhp and i am still happy with the Standard suspension with the above mods.
Old 01 March 2011, 11:55 AM
New_scooby_04

An STi and WRX even at the same power levels feel like very different cars to drive.

The STi will likely always feel "subjectively" quicker and more capable than a similar powered WRX even if there is no/not much quantifiable difference, due to the 6 speed box, wilder cams, stiffer suspension, bigger brakes etc... It's also easier and cheaper to modify an STi

Yous pays your money, but don't be misled into thinking its simple to have a WRX that retains the perks of that model, but has the omph of the STi. It isn't. Been there, done that, spent a fortune..... now have an STi....spent a fortune on that too!
Old 01 March 2011, 12:24 PM
grahamc
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

A tuned WRX is more of a question mark as you won't know who did the wok, mapping, etc. I would choose sti everytime.

Also the sti gives room to grow should you want to improve the performance, handling etc. The WRX would be on the limit or close to it.

Depends on you and your future plans
Old 01 March 2011, 12:42 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

he wants a wagon. i dont agree with the above, STI suspension and brakes are ok, if you want to get the use out of them track days etc then most people upgrade. If you want a fast road car with space a WRX wagon would make a great car.
Old 01 March 2011, 12:49 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is an MY02 STI wagon up for sale on pistonheads, the STI wagon doesnt have the Brembo brakes out of the factory though.... its up for 5k

Tony
Old 01 March 2011, 12:51 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In the interests of getting a wagon, get a Hawkeye WRX and don't go mad and you'll be fine This isn't aimed at anyone, but in general I don't get the whole my WRX is as good as an STi etc when you've bolted loads of STi bits to it to make those claims

Your 350/400 power figure is too high btw if you want to achieve longevity from your gearbox
Old 01 March 2011, 12:54 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
There is an MY02 STI wagon up for sale on pistonheads, the STI wagon doesnt have the Brembo brakes out of the factory though.... its up for 5k

Tony
Thanks, I've looked into that one but decided against it
Old 01 March 2011, 12:59 PM
grahamc
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I would honestly have a wagon if they kept making the stis.

I just don't believe in chasing power figures in a wrx. Up to 300 would be where I call it a day. And then would always be disappointed.
Old 01 March 2011, 01:04 PM
New_scooby_04

I think what I'm getting at is that the WRX and STis are very different cars in character and that it's not the case that you can just bolt STi bits onto a WRX and make it go and feel like a STi. Just taking one important example: the engines between the two cars are actually very different: What is it Subaru claim.... about 80% different parts etc

When I had a type UK classic I got it up to 340bhp and 340lbs torque: to all intents and purposes it was quicker than most std STis and -don't get me wrong- was a great and very useable car, but it never quite felt as ballistic as the classic STis

To get the WRX to truly go and feel like an STi you'd be looking at major engine work the kind of which F1 CJE UK has done and that aint cheap!

I'm not saying you can't bolt on STi goodies and make a perfectly good modified WRX with them; you certainly can!

What I am saying is that if you want a car that goes and feels like an STi, get an STi!

Or be prepared to spend muchos money!

Of course, if you're really set on a wagon and the STis don't come in wagon guise then the choice is made lol!

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 01 March 2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01 March 2011, 01:13 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
In the interests of getting a wagon, get a Hawkeye WRX and don't go mad and you'll be fine This isn't aimed at anyone, but in general I don't get the whole my WRX is as good as an STi etc when you've bolted loads of STi bits to it to make those claims

Your 350/400 power figure is too high btw if you want to achieve longevity from your gearbox
After starting this thread I read about a chap who's Hawkeye 'box has given up after a year with similar power...

What would be a 'tops' figure?
Old 01 March 2011, 01:18 PM
scooby1929
Scooby Regular

On our crappy roads to me the WRX is the much better choice if you are not looking for huge power levels. Its got 90% of the standard STI performance, cheaper to buy, softer suspension meaning more comfort, better gearing thru its gearbox, lighter, easier to run and insure and no naff pink badges.

In Evo magazines review beween the hawk WRX and STI they stated they prefered the WRX!!
Old 01 March 2011, 01:19 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bonesetter
Is the WRX & STi suspension different? I know the WRX can be a bit of a softy and benefits from ARB stiffening, but is there anything else which makes an STi an STI? Will an uprated WRX be as sharp etc?
Aside from the stiffer dampers on an STi, the track is different between the wagon and saloon (and therefore STi)... wagon is slightly narrower. Track control arms, lateral links and rear struts, etc are different IIRC.

Ultimately, the STi is going to be the better handling car after a few mods as the base point is better BUT the WRX can be setup to be easily as good as a stock STi without too much expense - Prodrive springs, STi rear ARB, ALK and a good geo setup will get you most of the way there for about £400. Ride will ride a lot better on bumpy back roads too. The DCCD in the STi gives it an advantage but other than that, there's not that vast a chasm between them.

WRX would be easier to live with day to to and from what you've said in terms of what you want from the car, I think the extra practicality would make up for any loss in handling.... plus at the end of the day, you can always swap out WRX parts for STi items pretty easily, can't do the same for the shell.
Old 01 March 2011, 01:21 PM
scooby1929
Scooby Regular

After starting this thread I read about a chap who's Hawkeye 'box has given up after a year with similar power...

Its very hard to say because its all to do with how hard the owner is on the gearbox. Personally from what I have read I would not like to take the gearbox beyond 350 lbs/ft torque which is what mine is at and no problems soooo far
Old 01 March 2011, 01:22 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Around 320bhp is probably the top before reliability starts to become an issue.
Old 01 March 2011, 01:26 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
it's not the case that you can just bolt STi bits onto a WRX and make it go and feel like a STi....

...To get the WRX to truly go and feel like an STi you'd be looking at major engine work the kind of which F1 CJE UK has done and that aint cheap!
That's the crux of it, can be done but gets very expensive once engines and gearboxes get involved.

You can get pretty close without needing to go that far though.
Old 01 March 2011, 01:29 PM
scooby1929
Scooby Regular

Its not horsepower that kills a gearbox its the torque!! Hawk WRX's due to them being a 2.5 have a lot more torque than the previous blobeyes. A simple remap and exhaust on a hawk WRX can see the torque jump from around 236lb/ft torque to 350lb/ft which is a huge hike and alot more strain for the gearbox, clutch etc to cope with. Then guys are adding a larger turbo and the torque is rising further to near 400lb/ft and they are wondering why they have just blew their gearbox. Thats getting close to double the torque Subaru intended.......
Old 01 March 2011, 05:33 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Oh dear, it's looking like owning a wagon is slipping further and further away

I like the point about about the WRX being better for rural roads & lanes as I do alot of this type of journeying.

But I think it comes down to the peace of mind of reliable safe uprated power, and a more involving drive with the STi

I think I prefer the spec D in silver over all the other STi hawks...
Old 01 March 2011, 05:58 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh dear, it's looking like owning a wagon is slipping further and further away

I like the point about about the WRX being better for rural roads & lanes as I do alot of this type of journeying.

But I think it comes down to the peace of mind of reliable safe uprated power, and a more involving drive with the STi

I think I prefer the spec D in silver over all the other STi hawks...
Old 01 March 2011, 06:11 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
If I didn't have 3 cars at the mo, I'd be all over yours

The DC5 is on PH's now...

Might put the classic up too
Old 01 March 2011, 10:43 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby1929
On our crappy roads to me the WRX is the much better choice if you are not looking for huge power levels. Its got 90% of the standard STI performance, cheaper to buy, softer suspension meaning more comfort, better gearing thru its gearbox, lighter, easier to run and insure and no naff pink badges.

In Evo magazines review beween the hawk WRX and STI they stated they prefered the WRX!!
Good Evo write-up on the WRX Wagon

And another from the mag at the end of their 1 year 'long-term' test of the PPP 266/236 Wagon - quite a gush

Last edited by bonesetter; 01 March 2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01 March 2011, 11:23 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

gearbox is good for 350.

Not starting another WRX vs STi thread , all i am trying to say is a wrx makes a good road car, its never going to be a track car but in the same way a STI will never be a relaxed and comfy for touring. If the guys is looking for a Wagon then maybe the gains that the STI gives are much lower on his priorities
Old 02 March 2011, 01:35 AM
Billet
Scooby Regular

Gearbox is good for 350/350 but depends how you drive, i managed to snap mine at 265/240. not trying to scare you or anything, just be careful

Quick Reply: STi or uprated WRX - real world driving differences?