Sponsored by:

panel filter

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2011, 10:01 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default panel filter

98 type r sti,looking to replace with a high performance panel filter.
my priority is obviously filtration but what are the best options for filtration and flow?
there seem to be quite a few on the market.....
Old 26 February 2011, 10:05 PM
Billet
Scooby Regular

k and n come highly recommended, you can get one from scoobyworld.
Old 26 February 2011, 10:06 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

K&N panel filter or Green Cotton are choices of most and are reusable,STi Panel filter is also option.

Jura
Old 26 February 2011, 10:07 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

cosworth as recommended by most mappers

oil free too unlike above as there lightly oiled

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cosworth-Air-F...#ht_1784wt_932
Old 26 February 2011, 10:08 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

why is the sti panel filter so expensive,surely there are very little gains to be had from an air filter?
Old 26 February 2011, 10:17 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

they pretty much all do the same thing just difference in price,save your pennies and get the cosworth one at £31,i brought one and was surprised how good the quality looks/feels against the others that are nearly double the price.previously had green cotton and kn and would go for the cosworth one time again
Old 26 February 2011, 10:19 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by maydew
they pretty much all do the same thing just difference in price,save your pennies and get the cosworth one at £31,i brought one and was surprised how good the quality looks/feels against the others that are nearly double the price.previously had green cotton and kn and would go for the cosworth one time again
thanks for that mate.
Old 26 February 2011, 10:20 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

any other opinions?
Old 26 February 2011, 10:32 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

What differences can be had with a Cosworth filter? The standard one is half the price so I would hope that you get something more than the look and feel of it being better, after all it spends all its life not being looked at and felt. I know people have said that their car 'feels' better but Ive never heard anything more than wishy washy comments, the sort that come from people who have just paid a premium and find it hard to admit it was a waste of money.
Old 26 February 2011, 10:35 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SRSport
What differences can be had with a Cosworth filter? The standard one is half the price so I would hope that you get something more than the look and feel of it being better, after all it spends all its life not being looked at and felt. I know people have said that their car 'feels' better but Ive never heard anything more than wishy washy comments, the sort that come from people who have just paid a premium and find it hard to admit it was a waste of money.
fair comment,are you saying that the oe filter is as good as any?
Old 26 February 2011, 10:58 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

K&N or Cosworth
Old 26 February 2011, 11:03 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Im saying I would love to be proved that there are power gains, improvements in fuel consumption, anything and I will ordering one straight away. Ive tried a KN panel filter on a 2.5 Ford V6 and with all the will in the world didnt notice a thing, Im yet to try one on an Impreza.
I know all the theory but in reality Im not convinced. I do a few long distance motorway miles and have averaged 34.5, 35, 34 and just recently 34.5mpg so I might fit one next time to see if anything changes. Even 36mpg and Ill be a believer.
Old 26 February 2011, 11:03 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

guess you not got my point,

my point was just because something is double the price does not always mean it is better quality

as for the look and feel.
the cosworth filter feels and looks as well made as filters double the price ,@£31 its constructed just aswell,is that a little clearer for you .

buy all means go by one £50-60 quid you wont gain nothing more.

also if pushing the standard air box to its limit an the o.e filter would be restrictive ,standard will run fine in a sport all day long

Last edited by maydew; 26 February 2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 26 February 2011, 11:04 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

The OE filter is very effective. K&N etc come into effect if you intend keeping your car a while as they don't need changing at 3 years max.
Old 26 February 2011, 11:06 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

guess you not got my point,

my point was just because something is double the price does not always mean it is better quality

as for the look and feel.
the cosworth filter feels and looks as well made as filters double the price ,@£31 its constructed just aswell,is that a little clearer for you .

buy all means go by one £50-60 quid you wont gain nothing more.
I wasnt acknowledging your point/opinion.

Although I was acknowledging this point...before you even wrote it.
"...my point was just because something is double the price does not always mean it is better quality"

Last edited by SRSport; 26 February 2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 26 February 2011, 11:07 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Used KnN (in some form) for the last 27 years, and personally never had an issue with them.
As has been said, no noticeable gains power wise or savings wise unless your keeping the car/filter for 5 years plus. Longevity and reliability are my main reason for use.
Old 26 February 2011, 11:09 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

so what would u gain by paying 30-40 quid over the oe 15 quid filter?im assuming u need to clean the k&n or cosworth one every so many miles?
Old 26 February 2011, 11:15 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by b13bat
Used KnN (in some form) for the last 27 years, and personally never had an issue with them.
As has been said, no noticeable gains power wise or savings wise unless your keeping the car/filter for 5 years plus. Longevity and reliability are my main reason for use.
Thats not a good enough reason for me to spend twice the price+.
How many people have ever had a problem with the reliability of the standard OEM one? I would personally much prefer to put a new clean one in every year than to buy a £40 KN filter that you have to clean yourself and then put back with oil on it, especially if there are no gains.
Old 26 February 2011, 11:21 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

How many people have ever had a problem with the reliability of the standard OEM one? I would personally much prefer to put a new clean one in every year than to buy a £40 KN filter that you have to clean yourself and then put back with oil on it, especially if there are no gains.
and this is the debate i hoped would arise as there are valid points in all sides of this!
nobody knows really do they?
Old 26 February 2011, 11:25 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

alot off these filters have been tested on turbo cars by reputable mappers on rolling roads to back them up.
n/a cars like your own will not see any gains no matter what you do,remap on a turbo car with just a decat and panel filter will see gains of around 50bhp.if going for 300 bhp plus its just something that helps you achieve those figures along with fuel pump/3port boost solonoid standard ones both up to the job but by uprated they help support other mods.

my car just made 337 previous car made 380bhp would the standard filter cope rolling road and mappers experience say not.

Last edited by maydew; 26 February 2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 26 February 2011, 11:29 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

alot off these filters have been tested on turbo cars by reputable mappers on rolling roads to back them up.
n/a cars you will not see any gains.if going for 300 bhp plus its just something that helps you achieve those figures along with fuel pump/3port boost solonoid standard ones both up to the job but by uprated they help support other mods.

my car just made 337 previous car made 380bhp would the standard filter cope rolling road and mappers experience say not.
so the oe filter wont cope over 300bhp?
my old wagon was 315 on standard filter so if id had a cosworth one would it have made more?could it have been a restriction?
Old 26 February 2011, 11:30 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

The idea of putting a Cosworth anything in my car has huge appeal but doing so for the sole reason of having something branded that you dont see anyway just doesnt make sense.
I can see where people are coming from with the whole "if you use it for more than 3 years" argument but a new OEM filter is £15 including VAT and thats not even every year! I could not be bothered to wash, clean, oil and hope that I have done a good enough job when I could have just saved a decent amount of money and be safe on the knowledge that the filter is new, perfectly clean and just as good.
Old 26 February 2011, 11:32 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

maybe not great amounts but maybe yes,classic air boxes dont flow very well as it is .

"so the oe filter wont cope over 300bhp?"
if going OVER it helps.

maybe you should get a standard filter and be done as you seem pretty set to be fair mate.

my point of the uprated filter is if that what you want or need the cosworth one is oil free so maf friendly

and cosworth/kn/green cotton test these filters and would not make claims that are false would they.......false advertisement

Last edited by maydew; 26 February 2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 26 February 2011, 11:33 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Points taken. Personal choice ateotd. But if i where to recommend one then...
Old 26 February 2011, 11:34 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

If you remap with it on then you still dont know what improvements it has made as he improvements have come from the remap and not the filter itself.
Old 26 February 2011, 11:36 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

I can see how 300bhp again, in theory, could benefit from one. My experience has been with factory standard cars quite a bit below 300bhp. Maydew your experience with 300bhp+ qualifies you to comment on filters fitted on these types of cars more than me.

Last edited by SRSport; 26 February 2011 at 11:38 PM.
Old 26 February 2011, 11:37 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

maybe not great amounts but maybe yes,classic air boxes dont flow very well as it is .

if going OVER it helps.

maybe you should get a standard filter and be done as you seem pretty set to be fair mate.
im not set to be honest,its an interesting subject and soon my car will be getting remaped and looking for 300+.
my question now is....is it worth buying a performance filter to help the car to this power or is the oe one just as good?,because if there are no gains to be had im quite happy just to renew the oe one every year.however if there was 5-10 bhp to be had then i see this as a worthwhile purchase.
Old 26 February 2011, 11:39 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

if going OVER it helps.

my point of the uprated filter is if that what you want or need the cosworth one is oil free so maf friendly

and cosworth/kn/green cotton test these filters and would not make claims that are false would they.......false advertisement
there is that,but some claims are false as we all know......ppp dont seem to produce the fiqures quoted.
Old 26 February 2011, 11:40 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

I can see how 300bhp again, in theory, could benefit from one. My experience has been with factory standard cars quite a bit below 300bhp. Maydew your experience with 300bhp+ qualifies you to comment on filters fitted on these types of cars more than me.
its like saying would your sport gain anything from running 99 ron v-power i think not.

if i put 95 ron in mine would run like poo and die.
Old 26 February 2011, 11:43 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

I did try that actually that was the run where I got 35mpg. Tested as fairly as possible. Im sticking to 95.

Quick Reply: panel filter