Sponsored by:

Suspension Setup

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2011, 12:49 PM
astra_dave
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Setup

I've got about £400 to spend on suspension, i want 35-40mm drop with a firm ride that isn't too harsh. Shocks and springs. Don't really want coilovers as i won't actually ever get to use them properly

Car is a T Reg UK Turbo 2000

What do people recommend?
Old 26 February 2011, 01:20 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Recomend? NOT dropping it. You change the roll-centre and the car will roll MORE, so wrecking it's already dodgy handling.
Old 26 February 2011, 01:29 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

Its not too bad to drop them about 25mm or so but much more than that as Alcazar says you'll ruin the handling.

You can drop them more and improve the handling but it'll cost a fortune on suspension bits to do it right as you're in motorsport territory. Plus you'll be bottoming out over every speed bump you come across.
Old 26 February 2011, 01:32 PM
astra_dave
Scooby Regular

lol okies, fair one, this is kinda new to me, i've come from Vauxhall's were lowering them is like the done thing, lol.
Old 26 February 2011, 01:35 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

Cars can be run really low but the lower you go the more your suspension geometry is out and the more you need to spend to put it right.
Old 26 February 2011, 01:37 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have just uprated my suspension on my 2000 uk turbo to bilstein prodrive shocks and eibach springs,cost less than £400 and that included having the rears overhauled by bilstein. Have a good look around on pistonheads ,ebay,etc - these might be worth having a bid on as well ,if you offer him £250 i am sure he would end the auction

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Just make sure you book in in for a geometry set up afterwards to make sure you dont wear out the inside/outside of your tyres

Last edited by midnight; 26 February 2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 26 February 2011, 01:38 PM
astra_dave
Scooby Regular

had my Astra Coupe dropped 50mm on the front 40mm on the rear and never had a drama with geometry.

Trending Topics

Old 26 February 2011, 01:49 PM
astra_dave
Scooby Regular

or is it worth just fitting standard STi suspension? surely that has to be better than UK Turbo stuff?
Old 26 February 2011, 02:20 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by astra_dave
had my Astra Coupe dropped 50mm on the front 40mm on the rear and never had a drama with geometry.

Thats because its an ASTRA

Doubt GM spent a huge amount of money making them handle.

All too often in the time i have been reading threads on here do guys post up handling issues, which more often than not come down to dogy suspension "upgrading" efforts.....proceed with caution, would be my advise...

Yoju said you were gettin the car in March, which i assume is still the case. Drive it, might feel fine as is.....maybe spend that £400 on a full service given our harsh winter this year, THAT sounds a good investiment?
Old 26 February 2011, 02:28 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

First step I would do is to have a 4 wheel alignment done and a check on the geometry settings and go from there, they might be able to dial in some fast road settings to help with handling.
That what I did when i had some Prodrive springs fitted and it was such an improvement over the standard settings.
Old 26 February 2011, 02:29 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SpecDscooby
That's because its an ASTRA

Doubt GM spent a huge amount of money making them handle.

All too often in the time i have been reading threads on here do guys post up handling issues, which more often than not come down to dodgy suspension "upgrading" efforts.....proceed with caution, would be my advise...

You said you were getting the car in March, which i assume is still the case. Drive it, might feel fine as is.....maybe spend that £400 on a full service given our harsh winter this year, THAT sounds a good investment?
Liking the new avatar mate
Old 26 February 2011, 02:38 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Recomend? NOT dropping it. You change the roll-centre and the car will roll MORE, so wrecking it's already dodgy handling.
Agree. "Dropping" it will help with the sometimes large arch gaps but it won't improve handling.

Get something like the Eibach springs I had on my old T-plate UK turbo. These coupled with AGX KYB adjustable gas shocks and Whiteline front/rear droplinks made a night and day difference.

For your budget unless you buy second hand you'll struggle as the above cost me around £750 inc. fitting with the shocks being unused s/h jobbies. Get an adjustable rear anti roll bar and some decent springs which will lower your height a little and stiffen things up
Old 26 February 2011, 03:59 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

As far as you know. The handling on Astras is worse than Scoobs.
Old 26 February 2011, 04:02 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

or is it worth just fitting standard STi suspension? surely that has to be better than UK Turbo stuff?
Yes, if you can get any, but any second hand stuff will be tired by now, or join a group buy for coilovers.

BUT: if you want the car to handle better, rather than look pimped, ask on here.

First job is to replace all droplinks with solid ones, then replace all bushes with poly ones, then replace rear arb with a stiffer one, leave front alone.
Finally fit an anti-lift kit and spend £100 or so having the car's geometry done by a PROPER Scoob expert. I recommend either Carnetix, or Powerstation.
Old 26 February 2011, 04:45 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Yes, if you can get any, but any second hand stuff will be tired by now, or join a group buy for coilovers.

BUT: if you want the car to handle better, rather than look pimped, ask on here.

First job is to replace all droplinks with solid ones, then replace all bushes with poly ones, then replace rear arb with a stiffer one, leave front alone.
Finally fit an anti-lift kit and spend £100 or so having the car's geometry done by a PROPER Scoob expert. I recommend either Carnetix, or Powerstation.
And here endeth the lesson
Old 26 February 2011, 05:09 PM
astra_dave
Scooby Regular

ok guys, thank you for the advice :-)

will take the advice on board and get it handling better with the above mentioned components
Old 26 February 2011, 05:59 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

In the end, mate, what it comes down to is that IT'S YOUR CAR, YOU DO WHAT YOU WANT WITH IT.

We can only advise, from experience. You don't HAVE to take our advice: if you want a car with a loud dumpvalve, lowered sitting on 18's, then go out and do it.

It comes down to do you want it to perform, or do you want it to be looked at, since one is often exclusive of the other.
Old 26 February 2011, 06:06 PM
astra_dave
Scooby Regular

it indeed maybe my car, but you guys have all the advise and if your advising me on a vauxhall i'd tell you all where to, but this isn't what i know, you guys are the experts here, not me. At the end of the day i want safety and performance :-)
Old 27 February 2011, 08:28 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Some very good advise and sensible caution against lowering unless you're in it for the duration, but I'll add my 2c.

Main problem with lowering is bump steer. Driving on smooth tarmac road is fine, but as soon as you meet any kind of yump, bump or undulation the car will feel very unsettled, and most likely dart about, even with wheels lifting off the raod in some cases. There isn't enough damper travel left before hitting the bumpstops

Also with lowering comes the need for roll centre correction and anti-lift as your effective roll centre will be lowered to almost below the ground and might have some sideways migration too. This can create some strange handling characteristics, as well as the distance between the COG and RC being a bit on the high side, increasing the tendency to roll at the front and therefore a possibilty to hang onto the bumpstop on the outside front during corners.

Anyway you aren't in this situation. Is there any aspect of the cars handling you don't like or would like improved on?

I usually recommend a stronger rear adjustable ARB as this usually sorts out commonly experienced front understeer, as well as nicely improving turn-in, roll and overall grip level. Very big bang for buck improvement, and safe too