Sponsored by:

Just had the rust fixed on the RB5

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2011, 08:15 PM
Marin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Just had the rust fixed on the RB5

Just picked up the RB5 after having the rear arches and A pillars/roof repaired after the dreaded rust bubbled through. Work was done by Autoeffects between Bedford and Luton http://www.autoeffects.co.uk/

Wanted to say what a top bunch of blokes they are. Stuck to quoted price and ended up spraying the whole of the roof and rear doors and bumper to get a good colour blend and fitted a new wiper rod under the scuttle while it was apart (wipers were flapping about like mad!). Car came back on time looking like new - chuffed to bits with it.
Old 10 February 2011, 08:22 PM
r1c
Scooby Regular

Top stuff! Had mine done a few months back! I hated seeing the rust bubbles in mine.
Old 10 February 2011, 08:53 PM
scooby800
Scooby Regular

befor and after pics please
Old 10 February 2011, 09:00 PM
Caged "R"
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hijack your thread but I don't suppose you know if my old car 005 is still around?

Thanks, Paul
Old 10 February 2011, 09:46 PM
RBGUS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Marin
Just picked up the RB5 after having the rear arches and A pillars/roof repaired after the dreaded rust bubbled through. Work was done by Autoeffects between Bedford and Luton http://www.autoeffects.co.uk/

Wanted to say what a top bunch of blokes they are. Stuck to quoted price and ended up spraying the whole of the roof and rear doors and bumper to get a good colour blend and fitted a new wiper rod under the scuttle while it was apart (wipers were flapping about like mad!). Car came back on time looking like new - chuffed to bits with it.
Nice 1 now pics??
Old 11 February 2011, 12:04 AM
Marin
Scooby Regular

Sorry guys - no specific pics of the rust but suffice to say it looked bad! Windscreen rust was down to a replacement screen not being sealed properly and there was a ton of rubbish in there when the screen came out. Luckily it all came off ok without having eaten into the pillars. Will have a go at sorting out an after picture although don't have a Flckr account or anything. Can I attach a picture from Picasa?
Old 11 February 2011, 09:37 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Would you mind telling us what it cost?

Only ask because I've been thinking about getting an RB5 and have seen a few that have rear arche rust (although obviously not RB5 exclusive)

Trending Topics

Old 11 February 2011, 09:55 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes this seems to be one one of the not talked about topics in scoobynet

Rust

Even my one owner garaged and polished classic is started the bubbles up the arch
And as I intend to keep it for another 10 years at least I would be interested in more threads with photos and price Of this secret topic
Old 11 February 2011, 10:35 AM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by lordharding

Rust

Even my one owner garaged and polished classic is started the bubbles up the arch
And as I intend to keep it for another 10 years at least I would be interested in more threads with photos and price Of this secret topic
Funny you should say that as mine had a little rust on the lip of the drivers side arch where it meets the bumper. Its always garaged and never been out in a UK winter. Classics that are run all year round must be in a right state now.

Cost to drop the bumper, sort the rust and blend in/lacquer the arch over the pillar to the base of the front screen was £260 cash. I think the passenger door was flashed over with lacquer as well.
Old 11 February 2011, 11:58 AM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

I just cut my arches out when they started rusting lol

but true , its never talked about really as it is a common problem on classics
Old 11 February 2011, 12:14 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lordharding

Rust

They don't rust. It's a myth
Old 11 February 2011, 12:33 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have noticed that UK classics came with a plastic protector at the bottom of the arch,on the face of the arch,the chassis has holes drilled for it to fit (hence a uk and jap chassis are different LOL,thats another thread LOL) anyhoo, it is needed as the bottom of the arch is where the road grime etc hits and kind of sandblasts away the paint.

i have now fitted some protective film on my jap classic to help with this issue and apply plenty and plenty of underseal
Old 11 February 2011, 12:36 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by The Rig

i have now fitted some protective film on my jap classic to help with this issue and apply plenty and plenty of underseal
I noticed this when I went from a UK car to a Type RA. Had I kept the RA I would are got UK arch liners.

Still, doesn't seem like too bad a job to get fixed.
Old 11 February 2011, 06:41 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig
I have noticed that UK classics came with a plastic protector at the bottom of the arch,on the face of the arch,the chassis has holes drilled for it to fit (hence a uk and jap chassis are different LOL,thats another thread LOL) anyhoo, it is needed as the bottom of the arch is where the road grime etc hits and kind of sandblasts away the paint.

I'm not sure if this is the problem. My WRX has rusted from the inside, outwards.
The water seems to have come down the inside of the rear pillar / window area and got behind the sealant on the inner/outer wing join. I think you'll find that a lot of classics start to bubble at the top of the rear arch, rather than the bottom. Therefore, if there are signs of bubbling, it's likely that the rust is far worse than may be expected.
I've done a cut / fill repair on my rear arches, but it's probably a loosing battle and I can't justify spending £500 - £1000 on an 18 year old car with 200000 miles on the clock!

This is how it looked after a temporary patching in hamerite over the winter months!

All this has now been cut out and replaced with fibre glass and filler!!

Last edited by DaveD; 11 February 2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11 February 2011, 07:44 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Hmm,that is bad !

Had it been treated on the inside of the arch,underseal etc,every yr or even every 6 mths ?

i found doing it just the once wasnt enough as it washes off effectively.
Old 11 February 2011, 08:04 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Did any of you see the Series McRae in the gallery section a few months back... that was very bad!!
Old 11 February 2011, 08:07 PM
KickboxingCrazy
Scooby Regular

when you get rust, smash a screwdriver through it like this! then repair it, by cutting all the shiiit out

Old 11 February 2011, 10:07 PM
Mikej857
Scooby Regular

Mine started to rust and first I took it to someone who said they were going to cut all the rust out and spray both sides but after 6 months the rust was back and it wasnt until I took it to my normal bodyshop that I was told both the arches were just full of filler and the dreaded rust was worse than was expected, I had it all cut out and new metal put in and both sides, the bonnet and bootlid painted so the car is now mint and the dreaded rust has been eradicated and all crevises full of wax oil.

It cost me best part of £1300 to get this all done but as with anything you get what you pay for and the car looks mint now.

I should have checked before I bought the car as the rust was apparent when I bought it but abeit just a small bubble, if I had checked I probably would have walked away and found another.
Old 11 February 2011, 10:15 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KickboxingCrazy
when you get rust, smash a screwdriver through it like this! then repair it, by cutting all the shiiit out

Old 11 February 2011, 10:59 PM
r1c
Scooby Regular

mine went on the top of the arch where the rear bumper mounts on. luckily i have a 'mate' in the business, he cut out the rust and repaired, painted and made me a happy man again for £100 a side!!